Made in VIETNAM

LostArra

WKR
No, they probably get a check for the "transgressions".

On the outsourcing, its 2018, if you want made in America, buy it.

Cashing the check and holding a grudge about the Trail of Tears could be totally separate issues. I don't know. I'm not Cherokee (or Creek, Chickasaw, Choctaw or Seminole) but I know Oklahoma history.

JWP58

WKR
Cashing the check and holding a grudge about the Trail of Tears could be totally separate issues. I don't know. I'm not Cherokee (or Creek, Chickasaw, Choctaw or Seminole) but I know Oklahoma history.

Well either way, in that specific case, holding a grudge over transgressions multiple generations in the past is pretty idiotic. People of almost every religion, ethnicity, and color have endured bad things, persecution, etc. It is the story of human history. To hold hostile thoughts against a group of people that had nothing to do with their ancestors actions is beyond stupid. But it is pretty popular in the social justice warrior culture today.

Sorry for dragging this off topic. Buy stone glacier, outdoorsmans, etc...

LostArra

WKR
Well either way, in that specific case, holding a grudge over transgressions multiple generations in the past is pretty idiotic. People of almost every religion, ethnicity, and color have endured bad things, persecution, etc. It is the story of human history. To hold hostile thoughts against a group of people that had nothing to do with their ancestors actions is beyond stupid. But it is pretty popular in the social justice warrior culture today.

Sorry for dragging this off topic. Buy stone glacier, outdoorsmans, etc...

I agree with you but the mentality of holding a grudge is where this whole topic began and the Cherokees would have a much bigger beef than outsourcing pack stitching to Asia for MR.

I am pretty sure no person at MR had anything to do with starting any wars. That said I buy what works best and is of good quality.

Sedyn

FNG
Interesting thread.

Is there an actual notable quality difference between them, or is this strictly about where it was sewn, or perhaps who it was sewn by? AFAIK there are tons of immigrants in the industry. Arc'teryx mentioned in an interview once how they had to outsource because they had completely exhausted the labor pool hiring everyone they could, and training people as well and were unable to meet even a fraction of their demand. I have a ton of both Canada and China made dead bird, and I can't see any serious difference between them quality wise.

I recently ordered a US made MR ASAP, as well as a MR Pintler and Metcalf all in MC, so all US made materials, not sure if the Pintler and Metcalf are Vietnam or Philippines. But plan to going over them in fine detail looking for issues. Looking at pics however, of the US made MR pack, I saw lots that had poorly aligned pals webbing. I asked the store I bought from to ensure the pack I was getting had them aligned properly. Not exactly something one should worry about on a $300 US made pack, and doesn't scream quality IMO.

I also have an Arc'teryx Khard 30 in Wolf and a Khyber 50 in MC, both made in the Philippines and are definitely made to a higher standard than the Propper ILBE I have that was made in the US. Finally, I ordered an Exo 3500 in MC, made in the US. Still waiting for that bad boy to ship though.

Rokwiia

WKR
One of the factors in buying my Seek Outside Revolution was that it is made in America. Anytime I can make a purchase that supports an American neighbor, I'll gladly do so.

In today's world, it's not possible to buy strictly from American sources for all of our needs but whatever part I can can control, I will control. If MR is made in Vietnam, then they would never see a dollar of my money when I can choose Seek Outside (which I did) and Kirafu who are made in the America.

I carryover the same perspective and will always support a local restaurant, retailer, or merchant compared to buying from a box store, even if it costs more to do so. Those local merchants keep their money in the neighborhood when they hire locally, use a local attorney, advertising firm, accountant, insurance agent, and more.

Only asking a question. How do we know where our crude oil is coming from? I buy a lot of fuel.

OP has meris to his thought. I completely respect them. I won’t pretend to understand, I’m not in those shoes.

Very interesting thread.

I can’t do anything about where our crude oil comes from, but I can choose where to spend money on a pack. In fact, I just pulled the trigger on an Exo last night. Sometimes we have no choice, but when I do (and can afford it) I buy American.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s great to have pride in American Made products and buy them when possible Some great things aren’t made here but we should still try to support American made. A lot companies have the option to stay local but choose otherwise because of cost. After all they are running businesses and trying make money. I’m not a vet but I can appreciate why a vet would want American made. Thanks to vets we have those choices to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
Anyone here hunt Canada/Mexico when they coulda hunted the same thing in the US? Commerce being spread around isn’t a bad thing. You can’t limit a cause to “buying American” unless you extend that across the board.

I don't really have a problem being built in Vietnam. Most of my Kryptek and also regular clothes these days are made somewhere else. My only real issue with Mystery ranch is the price. I remember looking at there packs online before they made the move. Fast forward to now they are made over seas but the price is about the same price. I would expect the price to come down abit but it didn't. Now for just alittle bit more I can buy an EXO that is American made and for a couple hundred more a Kifaru. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Mystery ranch over seas pack for the same price as an American made pack. Now if they were a bit lower to compete with a KUIU pack maybe. Of course all this from a guy that has a $125.00 slumberjack Bounty 4500 so take my opinion for what its worth.

Diesel

WKR
The war ended in 73 didn’t it ?...... might be time to let bygones be bygones.

Maybe for some.

Lost my uncle in WW2 to the japs. Lots of horrific happenings. I vowed to never buy a jap made vehicle ever and I have held true to that for 50 years.

However almost all of the people involved in that war have passed and we now have an ally in the Japanese. I have bought Honda and Yahama generators as they are the best. At some point you have to let go.

Just as the American Black population must let go of their hatred from the act of slavery of over 150 years ago, so must we all at some point realize that past wounds need to be allowed to heal.

Don't worry, there is always somebody new to despise.

LostArra

WKR
I don't really have a problem being built in Vietnam. Most of my Kryptek and also regular clothes these days are made somewhere else. My only real issue with Mystery ranch is the price. I remember looking at there packs online before they made the move. Fast forward to now they are made over seas but the price is about the same price. I would expect the price to come down abit but it didn't. Now for just alittle bit more I can buy an EXO that is American made and for a couple hundred more a Kifaru. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure why anyone would buy a Mystery ranch over seas pack for the same price as an American made pack. Now if they were a bit lower to compete with a KUIU pack maybe. Of course all this from a guy that has a $125.00 slumberjack Bounty 4500 so take my opinion for what its worth.

If a mystery ranch pack gets your attention then get the Camofire app and save some $
Can't go wrong with Exo

I also believe in buying American whenever I can. If for no other reason than to support American jobs and American economy. Fatrascal.

I buy American whenever possible, often the “Made in USA” tag or sticker is the main influencer for my purchase.
This message was typed on a Chinese made iPad, if there was an American made version, i would pay double for it...

I would say if you are a True American, and therefore love capitalism, you should purchase products whose price point meets the quality expected, regardless of production country. Furthermore, one ought to celebrate that production can be outsourced to third world nations so we in advanced societies can afford to consume more.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

I use German-built binoculars, but as soon as my eyesight gets to the point I can't tell the difference, I'm going to buy some American-made binoculars. ;-)