Love for the AMR?

snowplow

WKR
I have a reckoning but very very closely almost got the AMR. I am seriously considering getting rid of it for an AMR.

I love the zip but would rather have the big back pockets. I dont usually need the side ones.

Who still digs the AMR and why?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Hey PS l was wondering if the divider in the pack was permanent or if it unclipped somehow to allow the full depth of the bag?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought the AMR and 24" hunter frame as my first Kifaru purchase. I've looked at other Kifaru bags, but realize that they don't do much, if anything, that my AMR does for me.

I guess it sucks when you buy the best bag as your first one. Lol. YMMV

I’ve tried almost every bag Kifaru makes at one time or another (and several multiple times) trying to best the AMR. It just can’t be done. Love the bag layout and it works perfect for huge hauling or cinched down for the day. It’s the one bag I can’t see getting rid of because it just flat works for me.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I bought the AMR and 24" hunter frame as my first Kifaru purchase. I've looked at other Kifaru bags, but realize that they don't do much, if anything, that my AMR does for me.

I guess it sucks when you buy the best bag as your first one. Lol. YMMV
I like that it has big pockets and they are 100% usable when compressed.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the AMR as well. Loved the back pockets and put my spotter in a spotting scope pocket on the side. But, no side zip kinda sucked for day use. I just got the Crater, and while I’m still getting used to it, I do prefer it over that AMR. One for the side zip and 2 for the compression system. You could still attach 2 pockets to the back of that Crater if wanted. Much easier to run in day mode with that side zip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Sorry l must have posted just after you.

I always find myself wanting pockets one size bigger than the large belt pouch. Thats what mainly draws me to the amr. The reckoning spotter pouches are great but not that isable when compressed which is where l normally operate at.

The only major negative to the AMR is the weight. PALS and zippers add quite a bit of weight, so it depends on how you feel about that. This is coming from someone who modified an Argali to weigh about 4.5lbs, so it obviously doesn't bother me a ton.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I hear that. But l end up running the guide lid on my reckoning even though l dont want to just to get a big accessible pocket while compresssed. And at that point l believe it weighs more than an AMR.

What does the top part of an amr look like? When open is it just an open tube like a reckoning? All the pic s look loke it has some sort of structured lid.

What does the top part of an amr look like? When open is it just an open tube like a reckoning? All the pic s look loke it has some sort of structured lid.

The new versions I think have the same top as the Reckoning. The older ones all came with a lid and the bags had lid straps sewn into them and just a draw string at the top of the collar.

attachment.php

I have had two different amrs.... Neither one had any divider. It is like a big drum with fixed pouches on the back, and a zipper to access the bottom quarter of the bag. I ended up getting rid of it, but if that's what you want, it will haul a huge load and probably last a lifetime

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I have an AMR that is good for backpack hunts, I really like it. But I don't like it for day hunts, so I got a Reckoning, which I haven't used yet (I used a Nomad last year that I didn't care for at all, major PIA and the wings didn't really work well for me when packing quarters). I think these two packs will be pretty solid as a backpack/day hunt duo.

PredatorX

WKR
The only major negative to the AMR is the weight. PALS and zippers add quite a bit of weight, so it depends on how you feel about that. This is coming from someone who modified an Argali to weigh about 4.5lbs, so it obviously doesn't bother me a ton.
What did you do to your argali? You'd probably end up around 4# with an ultralite frame right? Killer setup. Big argali fan.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

What did you do to your argali? You'd probably end up around 4# with an ultralite frame right? Killer setup. Big argali fan.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I have a 28" tactical frame with aluminum stays, so the frame without the bag is over 5lbs.

I extended the snow collar 12", added lots of points to add pockets, added a big rectangular door with zippers on both sides and Velcro on top and some other small things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have a 28" tactical frame with aluminum stays, so the frame without the bag is over 5lbs.

I extended the snow collar 12", added lots of points to add pockets, added a big rectangular door with zippers on both sides and Velcro on top and some other small things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Is that the pack in the picture you posted awhile ago that had a trail height of about 9 feet? :)

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk