Kifaru vs Stone Glacier: Most versatile

Hey Ya'll,

I'm looking for advice on which of these systems to adopt. I've narrowed it down to these 2 companies, as they both support what I do professionally. I don't think either brand is better than the other, but what I am looking for is which system is better for mixed applications. I plan on using whichever pack I get for hunting, backpacking, fishing, climbing, photography, hiking, etc. Can you guys who own these different packs recommend me in a direction?

Please, no generic flagwaving for one company over the other, I'm really just looking for which system is most flexible for multiple hobbies. This won't be a pack used for one week of hunting a year (not that there's anything wrong with that.).

Thanks

I've owned kifaru, exo and sg. All make fantastic packs. I kept stone glacier due to the weight and xpac material. I beat up a cilogear climbing pack in my mountaineering days and was very impressed with the xpac fabric.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
I have both a stone glacier and a kifaru set up. Both allow you to purchase a frame and swap out different bags. I would give the edge to Kifaru in versatility as most of their packs allow for the addition of pouches using molle web or their grid matrix. Stone glacier has a few options when it comes to attaching stuff to their packs but not like kifaru. Kifaru also has a couple winged packs (fulcrum and nomad 2) which allow for some unique configurations. Kifaru also has the cargo net. With that all being said stone glacier makes some really awesome packs and their frame is excellent. I would wait to see what the new kifaru frame looks like (coming out soon) before making a decision. In the end you can't go wrong with either.

I've owned kifaru, exo and sg. All make fantastic packs. I kept stone glacier due to the weight and xpac material. I beat up a cilogear climbing pack in my mountaineering days and was very impressed with the xpac fabric.

In case you didn't see the chatter today, Aron just announced today that they will have 3 X-Pac packs coming out and the new frame is pretty darn close to the SG weight-wise as well.

To answer the OP; They're both great companies that will give you great service and support whichever you go with. I personally believe that between the two companies it's just a personality difference and their pretty much opposite design paradigms. There is however one major factor to consider:

Are you standard size and shape? SG frames come in a 26" frame, which will work well for most male hunters. However if you're outside the norm; whether it be super tall, super short, extremely large, flat back, etc., you should probably be looking harder at a Kifaru because they offer their frames in 22,24,26,28 inch frame sizes, curved, flat stays in both composite or aluminum (for a custom curve). I've had people try to argue with that, but it's a simple fact that a single size will not fit everyone (for example I have a 23.5" torso and require a 28" frame).

It really comes down to a matter of personal preference. One will definitely fit and feel better than the other and everyone is different. If you do buy Kifaru I strongly suggest the aluminum stays as they can be bent for a perfect fit. So many people are caught up with the ounce counting craze. Do you want a pack that is 8oz lighter and fits OK. Or have a pack that weights 8oz more but fits PERFECT? It can make a world of difference. If your hung up on weight, save it somewhere else.

Like others have said, it comes down to preference and you can see the design philosophy bleeding through both companies. Both duplex and x curve frames fit me very well, however, I just got tired of the kifaru pack layouts. I had multiple pouches to attach in different ways and I just spent so much time fiddling with it as I could never get a configuration I liked. One thing I have noticed with the packs is that the kifaru packs I had (zulu, zxr, amr, tahr) all had a drum shape to them. I have a stone glacier solo and sky archer now and really prefer the slim design and lack of ability to attach things. Different strokes for different folks. I am much happier with my stone glacier packs, but that isnt kifarus fault. They make excellent gear, just a different style than what I want.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
I have owned several of each brand as well as multiple other brands and the Sky 5900 is the best bag I have ever used. I am not a fan of the Kifaru bags and don't like the added on pockets and pouches design. On the other hand the Duplex frame is the most comfortable frame I have tried out of many. So I run a SG bag on a Duplex frame and get the best of both worlds.

sr80

WKR
Ill agree that with kifaru, you have the ability to ad and removed pockets to suit your needs. You can also ad extra compression straps if needed for helping strap down loads etc. I have an argali, with a spotter pocket on it, and added two straps that go from the frame to the front of the bag that keep the spotter pocket nice and tight and compact. Works well for me, but its a little big for day hunts. I like a simple bag, like the argali, markhor and tahr, Im not a fan of the new ones with all the swingy pockets, and zippers everywhere.

Also had a SG, I like their bags the best out of any company ive tried. Very streamlined and tidy. Im borrowing a 5900 right now to try it out for day hunts etc. Kifaru frame is the most comfortable ive tried though.

I’ve been a die hard Kifaru fan. The duplex is the most comfortable pack under heavy loads I’ve found. They have amazing
Customer service and have been around for quite some time.

bates

WKR
I have both......

as others have said i would give the edge to versatility, durability and comfort to Kifaru

I find the SG just simplier and lighter and more streamlined

im using a 22mag for my shooting, day pack set up

6900/5900 for extended hunting

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s sort of hard for me to give a direct comparison even though I have both because my kifaru is a 28” tactical frame with a fulcrum and my SG is an xcurve with a solo bag.

They both serve completely different uses for me, the kifaru with 3 medium pockets weighs around 8lbs empty while the SG is like 4.5lbs. With the fulcrum there are lots of ways to use it and I really like how well it compresses down for day use and smaller loads, the tactical frame is a beast and with that waist belt it’s an absolute beast at hauling weight.

The stone glacier is more streamlined and I know it’s capable of hauling weight, I like their meat shelf thing, it’s awesome however I’ve only had this bag with about 40lbs in it to workout and a few quick overnights so far.

Both are awesome, I fee pretty lucky to get the chance to use both.

I had multiple pouches to attach in different ways and I just spent so much time fiddling with it as I could never get a configuration I liked.

Yeah, this is definitely a personality thing because that's the thing I have found I like the most. The ability to change the layout based on what I'm doing is one of the major upsides for me. I can turn my 22Mag pack into a 4000+ cuin pack just by adding a spotting scope pocket and a roll top pod if I need the extra volume, otherwise I can run it with an organizer or belt pouches for better organization and accessibility of the small stuff.

Yeah, this is definitely a personality thing because that's the thing I have found I like the most. The ability to change the layout based on what I'm doing is one of the major upsides for me. I can turn my 22Mag pack into a 4000+ cuin pack just by adding a spotting scope pocket and a roll top pod if I need the extra volume, otherwise I can run it with an organizer or belt pouches for better organization and accessibility of the small stuff.
Yeah, I know. When I first started using kifaru, it was a zulu and I loaded that web up with pouches and practically doubled my capacity. For some reason, over time my preferences changed. I started to prefer something slimmer and more streamlined, hence the stone glacier. If it suits ones style, like everyone else here, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend kifaru. Even if not everything suits my style, the gear is so well made. It really is "rhino tough." and probably tougher gear than I really need.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
S
Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming!

Are you standard size and shape? SG frames come in a 26" frame, which will work well for most male hunters. However if you're outside the norm; whether it be super tall, super short, extremely large, flat back, etc., you should probably be looking harder at a Kifaru because they offer their frames in 22,24,26,28 inch frame sizes, curved, flat stays in both composite or aluminum (for a custom curve). I've had people try to argue with that, but it's a simple fact that a single size will not fit everyone (for example I have a 23.5" torso and require a 28" frame).

I THINK I am a standard size and shape...I have yet to get an exact measurement of my torso but I am 6'2" with a "normal" back. I do like how Kifaru makes their frames precisely for one's individual dimensions, but I'm sure Stone Glacier frames would fit me well, I don't think I'm too much of an oddball.

A couple follow-up questions:

1)I was not aware that Kifaru was planning on releasing a new frame as well as some new bags soon. Does anyone have any more information on this or any links even? This certainly could affect my decision if its all ultra-light stuff (I think the weight of SG is a one of their huge selling points, at least in my eyes).

2)Do you guys who have owned bags from both companies notice any difference in toughness, craftsmanship, or overall durability? As I stated, this pack will be used frequently and for multiple applications, and if I'm going to spend $600+ on a pack, I want it to be able to handle my abuses.

Thanks again or the input guys, I appreciate how active these forums are.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I just put my order in for a Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900 with the X frame. Once I can get it out on some scouting hikes I will let you know how it is. I don't think you can go wrong with a SG or a Kifaru. It's all in what you're looking for and what options you want. I've been talking to people and reading reviews, and I chose the SG beacuse it had everything I wanted and needed.

I THINK I am a standard size and shape...I have yet to get an exact measurement of my torso but I am 6'2" with a "normal" back. I do like how Kifaru makes their frames precisely for one's individual dimensions, but I'm sure Stone Glacier frames would fit me well, I don't think I'm too much of an oddball.

A couple follow-up questions:

1)I was not aware that Kifaru was planning on releasing a new frame as well as some new bags soon. Does anyone have any more information on this or any links even? This certainly could affect my decision if its all ultra-light stuff (I think the weight of SG is a one of their huge selling points, at least in my eyes).

2)Do you guys who have owned bags from both companies notice any difference in toughness, craftsmanship, or overall durability? As I stated, this pack will be used frequently and for multiple applications, and if I'm going to spend $600+ on a pack, I want it to be able to handle my abuses.

At 6'2" you will want a 26" frame unless you have a 30" inseam or less.

1) http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/86115-insight-kifaru-frame-8.html#post883116

2) Never heard of either frame having a major failure. Minor ones have happened and I can attest that at least on Kifaru's part if it can be prevented by a design change they will do it (as Aron discusses with the shoulder strap connection point on the belt in the video linked to in #1). I'd expect Kurt would do the same though I'm not familiar enough to have any examples.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Both bags are great quality and very durable and the 2 companies have outstanding customer service as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
At 6'2" you will want a 26" frame unless you have a 30" inseam or less.

1) http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/86115-insight-kifaru-frame-8.html#post883116

2) Never heard of either frame having a major failure. Minor ones have happened and I can attest that at least on Kifaru's part if it can be prevented by a design change they will do it (as Aron discusses with the shoulder strap connection point on the belt in the video linked to in #1). I'd expect Kurt would do the same though I'm not familiar enough to have any examples.

Seems like a broken shoulder strap would be a pretty major failure if you were out on a back country hunt. Not trying to be a smart ass, just saying.

Seems like a broken shoulder strap would be a pretty major failure if you were out on a back country hunt. Not trying to be a smart ass, just saying.

The pictures I saw didn't actually fail in the field, but it was noticeably failing and tearing around the sew point enough to replace the belt. I agree, if it just broke without notice I'd be pissed; but from what I saw the fabric was tearing on the belt around the sew point.