New Kifaru Frame and Bags

Anyone else see the new kifaru light frame and bags Aron previews.
New bags are made of xpack. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
The new frame intrigues me. I'll likely end up with one at some point though it probably won't be this year. I'm personally not interested in the X-Pac bags but I live in a pretty dry area. I think the bags will be great for people who hunt in wet conditions. I didn't hear if they are seam sealed, but I doubt they would be so it would probably still be good practice to use dry bags, etc. for items that can't get wet. X-Pac is lighter, but also louder and not as durable. For some they will be great, but I'm not interested.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
J
The new frame intrigues me. I'll likely end up with one at some point though it probably won't be this year. I'm personally not interested in the X-Pac bags but I live in a pretty dry area. I think the bags will be great for people who hunt in wet conditions. I didn't hear if they are seam sealed, but I doubt they would be so it would probably still be good practice to use dry bags, etc. for items that can't get wet. X-Pac is lighter, but also louder and not as durable. For some they will be great, but I'm not interested.

I don't get lots of rain either except when I do. At least you wouldn't have carry something to cover your pack. I like the zipper and the looks of it. Sound may be an issue. Maybe a seekoutside guy wants to chime in. I think that is xpack as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
If I do get alot of rain I either know about it ahead of time or it doesn't last long. 500d is pretty water resistant and I never use a pack cover. Anything that needs to stay dry is protected in a bag on the interior. I do have an exo dry bag insert if I know it's going to be prolonged wet conditions but don't typically use it most hunts. Most of the time a contractors bag on the inside is sufficient. If the X-Pac isn't seam sealed I'd use something on the interior either way.

I carry a Seek Outside pack which is XPac material. Awesome stuff. Never ever had an issue with noise. Nice having a pack that retains no water.

OP
J
I carry a Seek Outside pack which is XPac material. Awesome stuff. Never ever had an issue with noise. Nice having a pack that retains no water.

I assume cleaning blood and hair of the xpack is easier too. 500d cleans up but sometimes requires a soak and if that’s not long enough it can smell. Which seek do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it soft and quiet compared to 500d?? Definitely not. However, I have not hunted with a gun now for 30 straight years. I strictly use a bow. You are getting busted on smell, long before your pack makes noise and scares game away. Obviously not going to be for everyone. But sure is nice never having a soaked pack with extra water weight.

OP
J
Is it soft and quiet compared to 500d?? Definitely not. However, I have not hunted with a gun now for 30 straight years. I strictly use a bow. You are getting busted on smell, long before your pack makes noise and scares game away. Obviously not going to be for everyone. But sure is nice never having a soaked pack with extra water weight.

Pretty sure my old pack frame with cordura still smells like dead elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
If I can ever get my bag to smell of dead elk I will wear it as a point of pride. Haha. I get what your saying I got a old pack that still smells like rutty mule deer matter what I do.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seek Outside has been using primarily XPAC in our pack bags for the last 5 years. We have used many colors and variants from 210D, Coyote, Olive , Camo versions and really really burly versions. It's good to see others offering it. Maybe Seek Outside is leading from behind in helping to improve the backcountry experience.

What we at Seek Outside have noticed is:
1. Noisier below freezing .. sort of like opening a bag of trail mix. Not much of an issue, unless you like to get really close to animals and then open your pack and dig around. Below freezing almost everything is noisier. Snow is crunchy .. Leaves might be crunchy ..

2. Slightly different type of noise above freezing than 500 D Cordura. The pitch is a little higher freq. How does this affect archery hunting elk ? Honestly, I have hunted with people using soft faced packs meant to be quiet. and I have been the quieter person .. and I have been wearing our loudest fabric. How is this ? Well, compress your pack down nicely, and tend the straps, and use your woodsmanship ability to walk softly .. also don't have the wind at your back or cast long shadows etc.

3. Blood and Cleaning -- it's a million times better with our XPAC packs. You can wipe it out really with a rag, but I usually put it in the wash machine without detergent super quick cycle and hang to dry. I've had packs that have had 5 elk packed out and my dogs show no interest after a wash and hang. Try that with Cordura. One of our packs even had gas in it from some forest cleanup chains saw use and it still cleaned up well.

4. Water resistance - The right bag designs will not need a rain cover. Yes you can seam seal them to make them more waterproof but .. for walking upright it is not really needed. In fact, I flipped a kayak in the Brooks range, and my kayak took a few hundred yard ride upside down .. and the contents of my pack had only a little water about the same as a dry bag attached to my Kayak. Some people have used our Seek Outside packs for keeping water out of an open ended tarp, and I even know people that have hauled fish in our pack bags.

Important to note: 500D Cordura packs can gain close to 1 lb in water weight and take a long time to dry (days). XPAC can gain a couple ounces in the fabric but it never soaks through and thus it dries much faster and can dry well in a small amount of sunshine.

5. Durability - 500D Cordura is really good but similar XPAC fabrics are pretty close. Lighter fabrics in XPAC like 210 D will not have the same rock abrasion and can get pinch cuts like any light fabric (210 Cordura included). The Lighter XPAC fabrics do fine walking through oak brush etc .. but don't use them on a technical rescue at 14k.