New Sitka pack

I like a load shelf. It takes all of about 1-1.5 minutes to set the pack down on the lumber pad, unhook the load lifters to get the bag off the top, keep the bottom connected, loosen the compression straps all the way while keeping them latched together, open up it up and Jam a 15 by 25 inch bomb style bag full of meat in that wedge, pull the bag up tight and crank down the compression straps, sucking the whole load up tight, re-hook the k clips for the load lifters, shoulder the pack and move out. If my fingers were more agile, it wouldn't take that long since I struggle with getting the K clips back on sometimes. It's that simple. I have no need for a 6000-8000 CI pack for me.

I too agree with the percentage of people that can fill a 7000 CI bag with meat and camp and actually pack it out for several miles. Yes, Aron can do it. Which is why a bunch of other guys talk about doing it in theory. However, a 1600 CI meat bag full of deboned meat is going to weigh about 70 pounds roughly. Since most modern back country camps take up about 3000 Ci minus food, that leaves roughly enough room for two of those meat bags in a 7000 Ci pack. Not many people are doing that regardless of how many talk about doing it. God Bless men

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Any scuttlebutt as to when we'll see reviews of this showing up? I really like what I've read so far and with a military discount this may be my new pack based on cost.

Given a guy like John Barklow and his background I'm sure this will be a fine pack to suffer under.

Josh's review and video are scheduled for about April 15th. Keep an eye on this thread and I'll post an update when it's published.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like a load shelf. It takes all of about 1-1.5 minutes to set the pack down on the lumber pad, unhook the load lifters to get the bag off the top, keep the bottom connected, loosen the compression straps all the way while keeping them latched together, open up it up and Jam a 15 by 25 inch bomb style bag full of meat in that wedge, pull the bag up tight and crank down the compression straps, sucking the whole load up tight, re-hook the k clips for the load lifters, shoulder the pack and move out. If my fingers were more agile, it wouldn't take that long since I struggle with getting the K clips back on sometimes. It's that simple. I have no need for a 6000-8000 CI pack for me.

I too agree with the percentage of people that can fill a 7000 CI bag with meat and camp and actually pack it out for several miles. Yes, Aron can do it. Which is why a bunch of other guys talk about doing it in theory. However, a 1600 CI meat bag full of deboned meat is going to weigh about 70 pounds roughly. Since most modern back country camps take up about 3000 Ci minus food, that leaves roughly enough room for two of those meat bags in a 7000 Ci pack. Not many people are doing that regardless of how many talk about doing it. God Bless men

Have you looked at Stone glacier. The load shelf is rated for 150 but I sat in the load shelf while another guy carried me around. I weigh 170... The buckles on the pack are real easy to unclip and the zippers are nice and smooth. They aren't something you'll have to tug on to get the bag open. The packs come from a 1700 all the way up to a 7900 cubic inch pack. The Sitka ones are also great packs but in my personal opinion theres nothing that can compare with Stone Glacier packs