Seek Outside Peregrine

Fedster

FNG
I actually initially liked the lumbar pad. But last week with the peragrine in day pack mode I hunted 2 days with the lumbar pad on then 2 days with it off. I was pleasantly surprised that it actually felt better off. But then again that is with Probably 12-15 pounds of weight in daypack mode

I ditched my lumbar altogether -- I used it because I wanted the pack a bit further away from my butt. FWIW, 1 inch or less extra torso length adjustment (i.e. I added 3/4 of a inch, or something), dialled in the fit and I do not miss the LP at any weight.

I'm really torn between this and a SG 3300. I tried both on @BHA and the SO frame was outstanding for my height and torso length, ie gorilla build. Guess I'll be ordering one soon.

SG is a great company with an excellent product and customer service. However I could never get mine to carry comfortable. My SO Revolution is an absolute dream to carry. It's amazing

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
One thing, what is the consensus for the SO frames on those of us built like gorillas* vs the competitors?

*Gorillas - tall, long torso and relatively short inseam for height?

Fedster

FNG
One thing, what is the consensus for the SO frames on those of us built like gorillas* vs the competitors?

*Gorillas - tall, long torso and relatively short inseam for height?

If the pack fits you, the consensus does not matter -- conversely if the pack does not fit you it does not matter it fits 95% of the people apparently in your situation. Try before you buy if you can (ask SO about returns), and test different frame heights (24/26/28), which is one of the beautiful things of the frame. If you test the pack get some weight in it when you fit it -- just get some water bottles (20/30 pounds). FWIW I have a reasonably long back and I like the belt to set low on my pelvis and I have no issues. Great packs (surely for me!).

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking at the frame and hip belt the padding looks thin and flimsy. How does this compare to say Exo or Kifaru?

If the structure in your suspension is designed right then you don't need bulky and overly heavy belts and harnesses.

Anything can be broken. You can break chunks off of an anvil if you misuse it... However, our packs use the same fabrics and webbing as everyone else, we just start out lighter by using a suspension that benefits from extremely strong but light materials and a different design that combines and eliminates functions.

So we start out lighter, end up lighter, but still have the durability.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This goes a little deep on design, but may prove helpful. Our frame is stiff horizontally across the bottom, so the belt doesn't have to resist any horizontal loading...all it needs to do is grip and stay put. A thin flexible belt does that better than a thick stiff belt.

Leebob

FNG
I agree with Matt. The belt is thinner than some, but plenty wide and very well made.

I find that because the belt is one piece, not overly padded, and very flexible it is easy to cinch it so it conforms perfectly to my body giving even pressure all the way around. I’m a fan of the double buckle system as well, as it allows me to “slope” the belt to my hips for an excellent, comfortable fit.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, I’m REALLY torn between the Goshawk and the Peregrine.

I liked the Brooks but I want the Revo frame functionality, and I can’t afford to go the extra $100 for the Saker, so the Peregrine or the Goshawk it is...

I think the Peregrine would suit 85% of my trips no worries, I really like the functionality of the wide and deep side sleeves and the extra organisation for some “always carry” survival gear would be handy. I generally only get to go out for 3-4 days MAX, although a lot of my hunting is during winter here in Australia, so my 3 days with appropriate insulation can get a lot bulkier than a summer trip.

I AM concerned about the occasional 5+ day trip that I may make, if I got a lid it obviously adds capacity and I guess I can always strap a dry bag either between the frame and bag or between the bag and lid.

My issue is that I can sometimes max out my current pack (a Gen 1 Exo 3500) and I always promised myself that I would never buy such a small pack again, but the Peregrine is calling to me, can some of the guys that have owned both an Exo 3500 and the Peregrine give me some comparisons on the relative pack capacities and general circumference etc, as well as their thoughts on my dilemma??

Rokwiia

WKR
The Goshawk has a ton more capacity and weighs 7oz less! You can duplicate outside pack access of the Peregrine by using a Talon, top lid, or hipbelt pouches for the Goshawk.

FURMAN

WKR
The Goshawk has a ton more capacity and weighs 7oz less! You can duplicate outside pack access of the Peregrine by using a Talon, top lid, or hipbelt pouches for the Goshawk.

I have the fortress 4800 which is basically a goshawk without the side zip. There is no comparison in the ease of use. I’d choose the peregrine every time. The guide lid and talon are just a pita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I have the fortress 4800 which is basically a goshawk without the side zip. Their is no comparison in the ease of use. I’d choose the peregrine every time. The guide lid and talon are just a pita.

Can you explain why they are a PITA, and why you would choose the peregrine over the fortress?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
Can you explain why they are a PITA, and why you would choose the peregrine over the fortress?

They seem like an afterthought with poor integration. Pretty hard to put into words. The attachments are more cumbersome than they are worth if you are getting into the pack often which is really the only reason you’d need the organization in the first place. I love the revo frame/suspension but if absolutely had to have compartmentalization I’d look at the big three. The reasons to go Seek are comfort, xpac, and simplicity. Like I said if organization is a top priority look elsewhere. The peregrine is probably their most thought out bag but still not perfect.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have the fortress 4800 which is basically a goshawk without the side zip. There is no comparison in the ease of use. I’d choose the peregrine every time. The guide lid and talon are just a pita. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Each of us evaluates a pack based on what features are important to us and how we use our backpack. I find the Talon, top lid, and hipbelt pouches to be exceptionally well-thought-out and use all of them. That way I don't need to be going into my pack until I am at my destination.

They seem like an afterthought with poor integration. Pretty hard to put into words. The attachments are more cumbersome than they are worth if you are getting into the pack often which is really the only reason you’d need the organization in the first place. I love the revo frame/suspension but if absolutely had to have compartmentalization I’d look at the big three. The reasons to go Seek are comfort, xpac, and simplicity. Like I said if organization is a top priority look elsewhere. The peregrine is probably their most thought out bag but still not perfect.

That's interesting. I havent seen one of their bags in person, but like the ideas. Whats holding me up:

Peregrine : I want more cubic inches. My SG solo 3300 is great, but in colder weather or with the kids, I run out of room. I dont think 3500 cui will cut it

Brooks: love that daypak mode, but the thing looks too darn big for my needs

Fortress : after kifaru tahr, I swore i would never be without zipper access again

Goshawk : seems like it solves my problems, but then you are giving me pause with your review of the talon setup....

Hmmmm

FURMAN

WKR
That's interesting. I havent seen one of their bags in person, but like the ideas. Whats holding me up:

Peregrine : I want more cubic inches. My SG solo 3300 is great, but in colder weather or with the kids, I run out of room. I dont think 3500 cui will cut it

Brooks: love that daypak mode, but the thing looks too darn big for my needs

Fortress : after kifaru tahr, I swore i would never be without zipper access again

Goshawk : seems like it solves my problems, but then you are giving me pause with your review of the talon setup....

Hmmmm

So let me ask why Seek? Like I said the big three all have set ups similar and EXO and SG have bags just like you are describing only they don’t require an engineering degree to attach the extras. Their lids are flat out better and they have front pockets built in. There is a giant difference between “making it work” and it just working. Yes we all have different needs and view products differently. Again I love the Seek frames but their bags are behind unless you value water proof and I can tell you that feature alone is nice.

Just curious about seek. Been through several kifarus, was ultimately not satisfied with the system and have SG right now. The ultrasimplicity of seek outside is catching my attention. Nothing about exo grabs my attention, not sure why
So let me ask why Seek? Like I said the big three all have set ups similar and EXO and SG have bags just like you are describing only they don’t require an engineering degree to attach the extras. Their lids are flat out better and they have front pockets built in. There is a giant difference between “making it work” and it just working. Yes we all have different needs and view products differently. Again I love the Seek frames but their bags are behind unless you value water proof and I can tell you that feature alone is nice.

Just curious about seek. Been through several kifarus, was ultimately not satisfied with the system and have SG right now. The ultrasimplicity of seek outside is catching my attention. Nothing about exo grabs my attention, not sure whyJust curious about seek. Been through several kifarus, was ultimately not satisfied with the system and have SG right now. The ultrasimplicity of seek outside is catching my attention. Nothing about exo grabs my attention, not sure why, it just doesnt interest me.