Seek Outside Peregrine

I will once again be the opposite opinion...
With the way the belt fits me, I have no need to get the waist belt that tight. This is, for me, the #1 reason why I sent back the two other most talked about frames on this site, and wouldn't get anything other than SO. The suspension rides on my body like it is a part of it, rather than an addition. Thus, the weight is distributed properly and there isn't a need for me to smash my hips with tension. I like the simplicity of the normal pulls. It should be noted, that one of the two other frames I tried, the user has to unbuckle the belt in order to loosen it. To me, having a forward pull, but not the ability to finely adjust without taking the belt off, isn't a good thing.
Let me guess, it was a SG where you had to take undo the belt to adjust it?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I am loving the peregrine. So much more than a day pack. I can easily get 5 days with lid for backpack camping. I am used to the 2 straps per side on the belt. The one thing I hate is not having power pulls. Having to tighten up with a loaded pack on without them is horrible. I tried a few things and did some searching. I believe I have found the perfect buckle to make power pulls. So much better now.

Great to have an option for power pull on the new belt, Hammer what are those clips I’ve not seen those before, I too thought they were the gatekeepers. Do you mind sharing where you got them?

Great to have an option for power pull on the new belt, Hammer what are those clips I’ve not seen those before, I too thought they were the gatekeepers. Do you mind sharing where you got them?

I originally tried Z-clips which I already had but they shattered when I pulled on them. These are very strong, weight nothing, and are very smooth. They are called 1" Double Gatekeeper. Only found on TOM BIHN - Travel Bags - Laptop Bags - Backpacks - Totes

Attachments

• 32201872419.jpg
    32201872419.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 89
They are exactly what I envisioned needing but had no idea they existed. When I found them I was shocked. Visually they were perfect. My only initial concern was strength. I have cranked on them as hard as I can just to test them and they are great. Could not be happier with results.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
A few thoughts so far on the Peregrine:

1. The gatekeepers are awesome. I really like how you can change the load ride by going to different loops or stacking gatekeepers.

2. The belt fits my back without the lumbar pad. I am still going to experiment with the lumbar pad though.

3. I am not sure how I feel about the two buckles yet. I do like how I can adjust one at a time to change the “feel” of the belt. You can really fine tune the fit. However, I think I will try the single buckle and maintain that functionality.

4. I haven’t found a need for power pulls yet. The SO belt design doesn’t seem to require the forceful tightening that some other belt designs. I will see if that changes with time.

More to come...

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Matt for the update, you mentioned that you like the belt without the lumbar pad, can you give us a rough indication of your back profile... curvy, flat etc? Are you slim build etc?

I’m pretty solid with curvy back profile , but it seems to me that a lot of slim guys with flat back seems to say no lumbar, Just trying to figure out whether to order a lumbar pad or not.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a normal curved back, medium build, and I don’t suffer from NBS (No Butt Syndrome).

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Certain body shapes (like mine lol) need power pulls. We can’t all be under 30 athletic types. If they bring those back I would like to try one of these packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Certain body shapes (like mine lol) need power pulls. We can’t all be under 30 athletic types. If they bring those back I would like to try one of these packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always liked power pulls too, but the ability to tighten the top and bottom separately seems to mitigate the need to really crank on it.

If you need that function, it can be a pretty easy mod as evidenced earlier in this thread.

Forgive my ignorance, but by power pulls do you mean pulling forward with mechanical advantage like a kifaru belt? Just a vocabulary question.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Forgive my ignorance, but by power pulls do you mean pulling forward with mechanical advantage like a kifaru belt? Just a vocabulary question.

Yes,

But it was a Kelty feature first.

Matt, hows the actual pack bag working out, do you find the layout helpful or too busy? Also, what types of bags have you liked before, just to have a basis for comparison from your comments

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another way to do forward pull:

Amazon.com: Sea to Summit Field Repair Buckle: Sports & Outdoors

That is a field repair 1" ladderlock. Install two of those on the PALS webbing on the belt. Run the belt buckles all the way to left or to right, depending on your dominant hand. This gives webbing slack to achieve forward pull.

I would probably run the webbing through only one of the slots on the belt buckles on that side so you can control tension via the forward pull buckles.

You can also use 1" gatekeepers, 1" G Hooks from milspec monkey, mini carabiners, or 1" bachelor buckles.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, hows the actual pack bag working out, do you find the layout helpful or too busy? Also, what types of bags have you liked before, just to have a basis for comparison from your comments

My favorite packs are the Mystery Ranch Metcalf, Kifaru BT1, and Stone Glacier Terminus. Without the lid, the Peregrine is similar in organization capability as the Metcalf, and has much more than the minimalist Terminus. I love the Metcalf layout and like the Peregrine at least as much. I have a lid for the Peregrine that I haven't used yet (and haven't needed), but I speculate the lid might be really helpful when I want to maximize use of interior space.