Just bought a SG Avail

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
Purchased the Stone Glacier Avail 2200 as an all around pack. Will use it for travel, but also for a day pack for hiking and hunting. Anyone else that has one and wants to chime in on how they do or don't like theirs, feel free.

Purchased the Stone Glacier Avail 2200 as an all around pack. Will use it for travel, but also for a day pack for hiking and hunting. Anyone else that has one and wants to chime in on how they do or don't like theirs, feel free.

I am looking at one for your exact uses...hunting travel to carry optics, tripod, electronics, bars/food, etc. Looking at yours do you think it will fit under an airline seat if fully loaded and a tripod and spotter strapped to the outside?

Also, you planning on trying to rig a pistol mount to it? I use Kifaru for my other pack and have that all setup to carry my 10mm, but this pack has a different belt setup I need to figure out.

OP
WolfpackNOgun

WolfpackNOgun

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at one for your exact uses...hunting travel to carry optics, tripod, electronics, bars/food, etc. Looking at yours do you think it will fit under an airline seat if fully loaded and a tripod and spotter strapped to the outside?

Also, you planning on trying to rig a pistol mount to it? I use Kifaru for my other pack and have that all setup to carry my 10mm, but this pack has a different belt setup I need to figure out.

It should definitely fit under the seat on an airplane and in the overhead. I am taking mine to the Grand Canyon next month and have to fit it in a 12x12x24 dry bag while rafting and Taylor and Pete at SG confirmed that.

As far as the pistol, I haven't decided yet. I also take a 10mm, but will not want something permanently there as I won't need the pistol every where.

kipper09

WKR
Incredible pack for what you describe. I’ve had mine since they came out. Beat the crap out of it. It’s with me about every time I go somewhere. Carry on a plane all the time. Put it under the seat or overhead. I run mine with the belt removed almost all the time because it’s easier to travel with. I will put it on my xcurve frame when I just need small bag. It really fits a lot of bills for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
What I'm curious about is how effective attaching it to the x-curve is. I like the pack a lot for a utilitarian pack, but also like the idea of unstrapping the 5900 and throwing the Avail on for day hunts particularly during rifle season.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What I'm curious about is how effective attaching it to the x-curve is. I like the pack a lot for a utilitarian pack, but also like the idea of unstrapping the 5900 and throwing the Avail on for day hunts particularly during rifle season.

It certainly works - only thing I’d say is it’s a bit less clean because the lowest side and bottom compression straps are redundant (meaning they are on the bag itself, as well as the frame. So an approach or serac bag might be a bit less busy on the frame, but my no means is the avail bad.

I just run my 5900 when day hunting.....I think the solo is the perfect 1-3 day bag.

Cool thanks for the carry-on size confirmation. I think I am going o give it a shot. I can see it getting a lot of use.

Such a nice pack to travel with! I wont travel with nice packs that I can't stick in another piece of luggage. I always end up getting grease on them from the belts, even if it's a carry on.

frankrb3

WKR
I really like the vertical sleeve pockets on the inside of the avail. I have some other packs that have those types of pockets which help organize items like tripos, scopes and nalgenes. One day I will get the avail, just such a great looking utility pack and the fact that I would be able to swap out my 5900 for the avail bag on my xcurve is a major selling point.

I bought mine when it first came out as well. I use it for.a day/scouting pack, just going hiking in general, and my airlines carry on. It fits under the seat if you’re in a pinch but I hate putting it there because I dislike having my feet cramped up in front of me. My original intent was to just use it for snowshoeing but it’s been a great pack overall day pack. Stone Glacier has been good to me thus far and their customer service has been great. If you are ever in Bozeman stop by their shop.

USMC307

Lil-Rokslider
Just got mine this week. Havent got it out yet but plan on cross country skiing, day stuff, travel, etc (like most people on the thread). Out of curiosity I put it on my Kuiu frame. It does fit on my frame surprisingly really well. The only issue I can see is the straps on the bottom might be a little short if I go in load haul mode. I am so impressed I will get a SG frame at some point in the near future.

PennDude

FNG
I just ordered one from 1shotgear with a 10% off coupon code, so I only paid $236! Super pumped to get it!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just ordered one from 1shotgear with a 10% off coupon code, so I only paid $236! Super pumped to get it!

We are glad to hear this. I personally have one my self and I love that thing. I took it to every one of our shows this year and could fit my two IPad, Laptop, and some of my Sitka stuff. Its great for walking to a fishing spot or even like you guys said to go hiking or scouting. The one thing I also love about that bag is I can put it on my Xcurve frame because all the Stone Glacier bags are interchangeable so you can have a load shelf on the Avail 2200 if someone wanted too. They came up with the idea for back country skiing, then it kind of grew into a very popular bag meant for more than what it was originally made for.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would the Avail cinch down small enough to work as a pack for a 10yr old kid?
Depends on your kiddo, but I much prefer the Deuter Fox 40 Pack for when my kids need to haul stuff. My son has hauled his on everything from hunts to hikes to sleep overs and as his carry on.

Our is an older model in a dark green. I have seen a few on eBay now and then.
Amazon.com: Deuter Fox 40, Cranberry/Steel: Sports & Outdoors
Not a real big fan of the newer model colors, but well designed pack. Super adjustable and pretty easy to dial in as the kids grow or trips change from t shirt weather to puffy jacket weather.

Last edited:
The Avail works for so much! Took a trip to Florida (good timing since we got over a foot of snow at home). Always struggled carrying all my surf fishing gear down the beach with me. Problem solved thanks to the Avail!!
76f4231866ca47ff70a0e78b00ada37a.jpg

USMC307

Lil-Rokslider
53255138d773d40d833da73ae7722368.jpg
bad0bc00db0d8c3f3d00ae45a27e4529.jpg
9d62836cbcbae54051699f1138fc9562.jpg

So many ways to use the Avail