Kifaru 14r

For those of you who have this pack, do you think it would work for 1-2 night stays ? I’m considering it for backpacking and whitetail hunting. My gear is down to a minimum, with a base weight of 13 #. I have a Dt 2 on a 26” frame and its great but a little much for spring, summer backpacking, and having it up in the stand.

I don't have any additional pockets on mine and think it would work great. I was just in the woods hunting hogs this morning in mine, you can't beat it. I had it loaded up to 30lbs (more as a test, definitely didn't need that much weight) and it did outstanding.

Absolutely. Honestly my 14’r is one of my favorite all round packs. This was in the stand. Not unmanageable at all and super comfortable even with all my crap.

1e8a73920c93b060137e9114db06e635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used it for a season of whitetail and it was great. Only thing that bothered me was the lack of full frontal zip. Stopping short at the top just wore me out. Also, I always seemed to add a few belt pouches or spotting scope pockets to the sides when it was cold or I was staying overnight. Sold the 14’r and replaced it with a Tarryall and like it much better as a whitetail pack and overnight bag. More room, top and large front panel opening, and no need for extra pockets or pouches. Might give it a look...

OP
C
I used it for a season of whitetail and it was great. Only thing that bothered me was the lack of full frontal zip. Stopping short at the top just wore me out. Also, I always seemed to add a few belt pouches or spotting scope pockets to the sides when it was cold or I was staying overnight. Sold the 14’r and replaced it with a Tarryall and like it much better as a whitetail pack and overnight bag. More room, top and large front panel opening, and no need for extra pockets or pouches. Might give it a look...

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

mfolch

WKR
Thanks, I’ll take a look.

FWIW, I purchased a tarryall for exactly the same reasons. I had a framed pack, but it was overkill for shorter trips. The tarryall seemed like a good overnight/2-night/whitetail pack. I had used an express for years for these purposes, and although I loved the cut of the pack, it felt slightly too small because of the layout (hard to access stuff at the bottom of the pack because the top opening was too narrow). And I wanted front-loading access. I purchased an X-ray, but it was too small. (I also bought and returned packs from kuiu and stone glacier.) I sold both packs when kifaru released the 14er, but I just couldn’t get past the incomplete front zip. After much deliberation and a lot of money lost on shipping and depreciation, I went with the tarryall instead.

And sold it after a two-day scouting trip. I found it to be too bulky, awkward, and big—I could live for a week out of that thing. (Like you, my base-weight is in the teens or or less, not counting firearms.) You can’t add or subtract pockets—and one of kifaru’s main attractions for is (or used to be) its modularity. Also, I scraped the tarryall up against a rock as I was scaling a low cliff, and cut a hole in the pack. The express I had went with me to a half-dozen countries and through all sorts of terrain, and it looked good as new the day I sold it.

After toying with the idea of picking up an old late season, I went with a used Xing instead. Couldn’t be happier. It’s slim and fits right to one’s back, like the express/spike camp but is larger and has slightly longer stays; has panel- and top-loading access like the tarryall, but you can add pockets (which you can’t do with the tarryall); and I like that it’s 1000d.

So, my 2 cents: the xing is really hard to beat for what you’re describing. You could hang it from a tree, and use the panel for access. Or live up to 5 days out of it with extra pockets and compressible gear. But it’s so g—am expensive that I could only bring myself to purchase one after years of buying and selling (and loosing money on) the alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
T(asks for the info, that answered a lot of questions I had. I fit all my gear and 2 days of food in a badlands diablo I have just to see where I am at with bag size. Now mind you, I did not have the down jacket, base layer top, and extra pair of socks I would normally pack but it would have all fit except for the jacket. That’s a 1,900 ci pack so I’m thinking the 14r will be just right for what I’m wanting and still be able to strap my climber on when hunting deer.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
It should do what you want out of it. With the right gear and the right time of year it's a great 2-3 day Pack. Belt pouches or a spotter pocket will really help.

I like that it's not full zip. I just wish the top wasn't zippered and was more like the woodsman so I could use a lid. Besides my last statement it's a pretty great pack. Hauls some decent weight very very well, gives lift, is flexible, has some great organization and is very streamlined.

I also prefer strapping a stand on the back, to running it on a frame or between a bag/frame. Mainly because I can take the stand off the small pack pretty quietly and don't have to mess around before climbing.

The 14r is great, so long as you don't try to make it something it's not.

Last edited: