Day pack capable of packing meat...EXO?

Idahoboy

FNG
Looking for a day pack capable of packing meat so I don't have to make a trip back to the truck just to get a bigger pack or frame to haul meat. I think i have narrowed it down to the EXO 3500, just in case i ever get the chance to do an over nighter. Just looking for others opinion and options before i drop a decent load of cash and find something later that could have worked better. I ask you don't just give me a brand and model but why it would work for what I'm looking for and why you recommend it. Thanks in advance

Hunter6

WKR
That is what I have and mainly day hunt. I have pack out one deer and two elk. I love this pack setup.

I have backpacked in 7 or 8 times in the last two years and this pack works for me up to a 3 maybe a four night trip. Anything more than that I can’t make it all fit.

If i could do it all again I would still get an exo but might get the 5500. It’s not much of a difference in weight but would work for longer trips or maybe not. I go back and fourth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
Stone Glacier has some great packs. Extremely light weight. Made in USA and comfortable frame for hauling. I have the approach. I like it a lot for day hunts and what I use it for. The 3300 is a pretty versatile pack size as well.

nidaho

FNG
I have a exo 3500 and have packed several elk with it, it is a great pack, I use it for all my hunting trips whether it is a day hike or a overnight elk hunt or casing my hounds through the woods. it sucks down to nothing if it is empty. seems like a lot of straps at first, don't wait till you are in the dark with a elk quartered to take it apart and try and strap it down, practice it in the daylight.

I uses an mr crewcab in that role for a year. It was fine but a bit of a pain in the ass with all the strapping and what not. It hauled fine with a heavy load b7t just wasn’t the greatest day Pack, which it spent 90% of the time doing.

I went with a Kifaru woodsman on a 26 inch frame. The first trip out I realized it was to tall and bulky for that role. I bought a 22 inch frame and tried it for ~10 or so trips. It was fine. The woodsman was too big for everything but late season when I was hauling extra clothes. The frame felt fine but probably not as good as the mr frame.

I got a deal on a pintler and after a couple of test hikes decided to ditch the woodsman and use that next year...

Then, I got the pop up 28. On a couple of training hikes, it carries very well. It is lighter and cheaper than a guidelight frame. I have carried 40 pounds in it and it feels fine. I think it could go heavier but it won’t replace a full size frame.

My point it, nearly every pack maker has come at the convertible Pack idea that can haul meat. They are all pretty good. If you are looking for someth8ng that can do it all, then something like a crewcab or Kifaru nomad on a full size frame can be a day Pack and haul your whole camp with a camp bag. If you want something more compact, look at a model like the Woodsman or pintler that can give you 40-50 liters of day Pack with meat hauling ability. You could still do a few days with a camp bag and it will fit any day load or even an overnight pretty well. If you really want something specialized, the pop up is interesting because it is nearly as compact as a regular daypack but can still haul a respectable amount of weight.

DWinVA

WKR
I have an original EXO frame with the updated 3500 bag (removable lid). I use it for all my hunting and it works great. It’s packed out multiple deer & turkey here in VA. I used it on 2 CO elk hunts but unfortunately it’s never packed elk meat.

God Bless.

Kifaru Tahr
Its in the "Rhino Den" at Kifaru which is their sale place
I believe its a 3400 pack.
But what it can do is double in size should you want to and it can become a 7000 pack with ease.

This makes it a pack that is your go to day pack, as well as 5-7 dayer.
Meat shelf included to haul ALL your meat out. Not just a first load.
I hauled a bull elk with mine last year4 trips total- it can haul serious payload. Yet compresses so tight in day pack mode.

I'll add that I went fro an EXO to a Kifaru and I would choose the EXO for day use over the Kifaru.
My Kifaru hauls big loads better than the EXO but the EXO hauls well and is much more comfortable to wear than my Kifaru.
I would choose the EXO for day use.

4ester

WKR
Using a two pack system is an old way of thinking. Get one pack and use it for your day hunt as well as your meat hauler. Life is much simpler. That being said, I run the Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200 for everything. Some other good packs listed here too.

Using a two pack system is an old way of thinking. Get one pack and use it for your day hunt as well as your meat hauler. Life is much simpler. That being said, I run the Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6200 for everything. Some other good packs listed here too.

Agree 100%
Which ever pack system you go, and they are all capable and good packs, get this idea imbedded in you. No need for 2 packs any more. One pack can certainly do it all. Some can do day pack, meat hauler, and extended hunts. Todays options are in your favor. You are definitely thinking correctly in getting a pack like you are considering.

rawask

FNG
EXO is a great choice but I would spring for the 5500 over the 3500. They both cinch down to nothing in day pack mode and the extra capacity might come in handy with very little weight penalty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree with 4ester and mflood, these packs will compress so small when empty that you won't hardly know that they are there. My pack is a 7000 cubic inch Kifaru and I load up my supplies and gear for a days hunt and compress the rest of the bag down, when I get an animal on the ground, I can haul out a significant portion on the first trip. I also have an Exo 5500 and I would recommend getting a bigger bag than you think you need, if you're not using all of the space, you can compress it down and it's a non-issue, but once the bag is full you're done.

OP
I

Idahoboy

FNG
Mostly, i didn't want to hijack that thread. A meat shelf is a must for me and that thread didn't seam to prefer a meat shelf.

OP
I

Idahoboy

FNG
EXO is a great choice but I would spring for the 5500 over the 3500. They both cinch down to nothing in day pack mode and the extra capacity might come in handy with very little weight penalty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

that has been my debate, 3500 or 5500.

FURMAN

WKR
I think the EXO will take care of your needs I would add the Seek Outside Peregrine 3500 to your list of packs to look at.

I'm gonna disagree with the one pack for everything. No part of me really likes walking thru the woods with a 26'' Kifaru on my back so I'm taking my 24'' Bikini or standard Kuiu for day hunts.
The big pack can stay in the truck until it's needed.

Randle

WKR
I would also say the 2 pack system has its place for me. I have drug a kifaru and exo frame thru the N idaho brush and I prefer to have a small streamline day pack .upper frame snagging on everything from brush to overhead dead fall while I am chasing elk is just a pain in my ...... It can wear a guy out.