Over thinking new pack choice?

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker, and have read most of the threads in the backpack forum over the last few months.

I'm in the market for a new hunting/backpacking ruck. I'm recovering from a lower back injury, and am looking for something more supportive than my old Cabelas pack.

I will use it a few times per week in training (30-80 pounds, depending on the day), a couple times per year backpacking for up to 6-7 days, and hopefully haul a deer or elk each fall.

From reading the threads over the last few months, it seems like the most recommended packs for these requirements would be Kifaru and Stone Glacier, with maybe Exo and Seek Outside as other good alternatives.

Is there a reason for someone with my use case to choose one over the other, or are they all really good packs that mostly come down to personal preference?

I was listening to KifaruCast and Aron was saying that if you’re constantly training with weight in your pack then you should go with the Kifaru tactical frame over the hunting frame, because the tac frame is more rigid and won’t begin to bow over time. I really like my Kifaru Mtn Warrior, but don’t have any experience with any of the other top brands

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would look for one that fits your body best and provides the support your Looking for.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
It's almost impossible to pick a pack off of others recommendations. Pack fit is a very personal choice and just because someone tells you a particular brand works well for them, doesn't mean it won't be a nightmare for you.

Others opinions are definitely helpful when it comes to pack lay out, durability, customer service, etc. Just keep in mind that a lot of people tend to recommend the brand that currently use without any other experience, so keep that in mind.

I've owned a lot of high end packs and seem to be more difficult to fit than a lot of people. Most of the packs I've tried give me hot spots on my hips no matter how I adjust them. Exo doesn't for some reason, but Kuiu and Stone glacier do. Also, I have a curvy back, but the Stone Glacier Krux frame is more comfortable for me than the X-curve.

It's all about personal fit. I suggest ordering a pack that has the features you want (or if you can, order multiple different brands) try it out with some weight and return it if it doesn't work.

Most people on here will tell you to buy Kifaru or SG and you won't regret it, but neither of those brands are the most comfortable for me and they might not be for you either.

It's almost impossible to pick a pack off of others recommendations. Pack fit is a very personal choice and just because someone tells you a particular brand works well for them, doesn't mean it won't be a nightmare for you.

Others opinions are definitely helpful when it comes to pack lay out, durability, customer service, etc. Just keep in mind that a lot of people tend to recommend the brand that currently use without any other experience, so keep that in mind.

I've owned a lot of high end packs and seem to be more difficult to fit than a lot of people. Most of the packs I've tried give me hot spots on my hips no matter how I adjust them. Exo doesn't for some reason, but Kuiu and Stone glacier do. Also, I have a curvy back, but the Stone Glacier Krux frame is more comfortable for me than the X-curve.

It's all about personal fit. I suggest ordering a pack that has the features you want (or if you can, order multiple different brands) try it out with some weight and return it if it doesn't work.

Most people on here will tell you to buy Kifaru or SG and you won't regret it, but neither of those brands are the most comfortable for me and they might not be for you either.

X2 for me. I've used MR, Kifaru and EXO and this year will be trying the SO Brooks. These and SG are all very well made products, I don't think you will miss with any of them quality wise, It really is just a matter of seeing which one works best with your body. Comfort is my #1 consideration these days. You can either return it if it doesn't work for you or sell it on this site for a slight discount. Maybe you will get lucky with your first try out of the gate!

texag10

WKR
Unless you have the opportunity to try the packs you're considering with weight, you just have to take a leap of faith. Look for the pack that checks the most boxes on your wishlist and go for it, chances are you will be happy with what you buy.

LostArra

WKR
[h=2]>>Over thinking new pack choice?<<[/h]
You've probably noticed that over-thinking everything from boots to boxers is a favorite pastime here. :) Welcome.
Once you've entered the realm of Kifaru, Seek Outside, Exo, SG it's tough to make a huge mistake.
Your history of back injury is a question mark that only you can answer. Just don't be hesitant to return a pack that's not right.

Btaylor

WKR
I ordered a seek outside today. For me it came down to layout, weight and cost. Even if it is not "the best" it should be monumentally better than what I had. The good thing about not having had "the best" is can revel in the bliss of my ignorance assuming the pack fits ok. Maybe an ol elk will be kind enough to donate some legs this fall and I can see how it works for sure.

colersu22

WKR
Where are you located? Maybe someone local to you will meet up and let you try on a pack? I met a local guy when he was asking about Kifaru frames and bags so he could check mine out before dropping the money on one.

Rokwiia

WKR

We both agree and disagree. I find the opinion of others, who have had first hand experience with a product(s), which I may never be able to try out before I buy, helps me to quickly narrow down the field. Once that selection is reduced then I can select the one or two that fit the bill.

No question that fit of a backpack is like fit of a shoe. Very personal. However, if I want a lightweight hiking/trail-running shoe, I could spend endless time and never hear of a company called INOV-8. Coming to a forum like this allows someone to reduce the noise and find the companies that offer a product that could suit my need. The final choice will be made from unique, personal criteria.

The time-saving, narrowing-of-the-field is what a forum of like-minded individuals, such as Rokslide, is all about.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
We both agree and disagree. I find the opinion of others, who have had first hand experience with a product(s), which I may never be able to try out before I buy, helps me to quickly narrow down the field. Once that selection is reduced then I can select the one or two that fit the bill.

No question that fit of a backpack is like fit of a shoe. Very personal. However, if I want a lightweight hiking/trail-running shoe, I could spend endless time and never hear of a company called INOV-8. Coming to a forum like this allows someone to reduce the noise and find the companies that offer a product that could suit my need. The final choice will be made from unique, personal criteria.

The time-saving, narrowing-of-the-field is what a forum of like-minded individuals, such as Rokslide, is all about.

Oh I definitely agree. I wasn't trying to say don't listen to the opinions of others on here, there is a ton to be learned from the posts on this forum. I was just saying that pack fit and comfort can very vastly from one individual to the next and finding a pack that fits well should be the most important deciding factor.

When I started searching for my first high end pack I heard a lot of "choose this brand, it's the best" or "you can go wrong with this brand". But, what I found is you can buy the very top of the line and it still might not be the best for you. So, I recommend staying with the top brands (Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek Outside, Mystery Ranch, even Kuiu) and order the one that has the features you want. Then if the fit doesn't work for you send it back. Don't just assume (like I did, more than once) that if you spend $700 on a backpack it's going to be comfortable on you.

aion2come

WKR
I will say this having used both Exo and Kifaru, and owning both currently. Both are amazing packs. For deciding on which is right for you, start with getting your torso measured. If you have a torso over 20+" tall, you will likely find the Exo frame a tad short for you when hauling serious weight. My torso is 21" and so when I hunt elk, the Kifaru gets the nod. For whitetails, my Exo is what I use. The plus to having both for me is that when a buddy comes with me and needs a better pack, I have a top notch loaner pack that will work for most people. Love both these packs and companies. Someday would love to try a Seek Outside just for fun.

When did Seek outside start making packs?

I’m a Kifaru fan. I’ve dont have experience with stone glacier, or exo. But ther than that I’ve found Kifaru to be very comfortable and quality made. Backed by a great company.

Btaylor

WKR
What pack did you order from Seek Outside?

If that question was for me, I ordered a unaweep 4800. I narrowed my choices to that or the exo 5500 and the SO checked all my boxes and price was not the deciding factor at all but it didn't hurt my feelings any.

I'll throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth. I was a Badlands guy for years and still have a Superday but I just bought a slightly used Blacks Creek Answer pack with a Grip Frame. I am truly amazed at the design and quality of this pack. I functions just like the EXO packs and has a built-in meat sling / harness that can haul large load with or without the pack attached. I have worn it just on a couple short hikes and it is far more superior in support than my Superday. I will be taking it shed hunting this weekend and look forward to seeing how a long day works for me.

twall13

WKR
I'll throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth. I was a Badlands guy for years and still have a Superday but I just bought a slightly used Blacks Creek Answer pack with a Grip Frame. I am truly amazed at the design and quality of this pack. I functions just like the EXO packs and has a built-in meat sling / harness that can haul large load with or without the pack attached. I have worn it just on a couple short hikes and it is far more superior in support than my Superday. I will be taking it shed hunting this weekend and look forward to seeing how a long day works for me.
How tall is the frame on that Blacks Creek? I'd never heard of them so I looked them up after seeing your post. In the videos on the website he doesn't appear to be getting much lift out of the load lifters. You compared it to the Exo in your post, do you have any experience with the Exo or are you just comparing the design based on what you have seen? I have some experience with the Exo so I'm just trying to get a better feel for what you are saying.

The integrated meat shelf on the Blacks Creek doesn't hold the meat up high enough on the frame for my liking but it looks like a pretty good product overall. I wouldn't mind checking one out sometime.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk