How I chose my Backcountry Pack for Mule Deer 2018

Long time lurker (in fact I spent a good bit of time reading posts and comments on rokslide as part of my research)
I recently drafted and published an article on my website outlining my approach and ultimately my choice. Perhaps it may help someone else as they are thinking about purchasing a new pack.

I have been very happy with my choice so far but as I outline in this article I will be posting a follow up after our hunt in September to be fair regarding my choice. I admit that I am really still in the "honeymoon" phase with my purchase and while I am rucking with 50-60# several times a week in hilly terrain for exercise that is not the same as 6 miles plus in the backcountry.

My Search for the Right Backcountry Backpack - Simply Traditional

Additional thoughts, comments and feedback appreciated. Ultimately I was trying to outline my process more than my decision but I fell it warranted to outline what I chose and why it seemed the best option for myself and my needs.

(Admins, I read the rules and do not feel this is in violation for the link, if it is please advise and delete as necessary)

Thanks all!

Last edited:

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Good article! I enjoyed reading it. You provided a lot of good detail without "getting lost in the weeds" on specs. I think paragraph 3 had a couple of grammatical errors you may want to double check, though. (Mentioned in an effort to be helpful vice negative)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Funny how people like different things. I like a streamlined pack.. That kifaru looks like a monkey ****ing a football to me. Good luck on your hunt!

OP
B
Funny how people like different things. I like a streamlined pack.. That kifaru looks like a monkey ****ing a football to me. Good luck on your hunt!

The photos do not do it justice and I may replace them if it ever stops raining but it has been doing so for a week now here and I did not want to continue holding up posting the article. Still I understand your point and respect your opinion, thanks for the comment.

OP
B
Good article! I enjoyed reading it. You provided a lot of good detail without "getting lost in the weeds" on specs. I think paragraph 3 had a couple of grammatical errors you may want to double check, though. (Mentioned in an effort to be helpful vice negative)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike! Will doublecheck my grammar this evening.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Congrats on the pack. There's only a couple of the Kifaru bags I like, the rest are just too "busy" for me. I like a streamlined pack as well. Once i start adding pockets and pouches and what not, i feel like i need to carry more stuff. Their frames are comfortable under load, just one of many high quality American made packs we have to choose from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk