Anyone running a Kifaru with no bag, just the cargo panel and pockets?

mcseal2

WKR
I keep looking at pack options for my moose hunt this fall. I was sent a DVD by a hunter who has been on this hunt before I watched last week. They ended up packing their motor and inflatable boat, plus bone-in moose quarters with their packs at one time or another. Packing the boat and motor to a slough let them access a great deal more country by water in the swampy area they ended up in. Looking at all the big awkward loads they showed I got to thinking my Exo 3500 might not be the best pack for this particular hunt. I love my Exo for my normal hunts and have no worries about it on elk quarters, but moose quarters are whole different load. I have the Crib attachment I'd figured on using to pack meat but watching the video got me thinking of adding a new pack.

I was thinking of getting a Kifaru Hunting frame and the Cargo panel attachment for it. I would run a dry bag under the Cargo panel when not packing meat or the boat with it to hold extra clothing layers. I would run a spotting scope pocket, Nalgene pocket, and maybe a couple smaller ones on the outside of the Cargo panel for gear I needed quicker access to.

My other idea is using my old Cabelas Alaskan Frame and rigging the Exo 3500 bag up on it. I hate carrying my rifle on that wide frame though, I have to either hook my sling over the frame or constantly have it trying to slide off my shoulder. One of my favorite things about the Exo is the narrow frame for normal hunting.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone was running just the Cargo panel on a Kifaru and if so what you are running for pockets? Thanks for your help.

oldgoat

WKR
I know a few that do, but most at least have the Guide Lid also. I have one set up right now on my extra frame, but have the Long Side pocket on the back of it. Didn't get to use it to pack out a whitetail like I hoped though. Call up Kifaru and tell them what your planning and ask what they think. If I draw a cow moose tag here in Colorado this year, that will probably be what I use since I won't be packing in, I use my Nomad and Camp Bag for that.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I've talked to Kifaru a couple times, got their input. They said my plan should work, I was just looking to see if anyone was doing this and what pocket configuration you were using. The Nomad pack is another option I've considered as is the Outdoorsmans frame and bag. I like the Kifaru idea a lot. If I go that route my buddy will probably use my Alaskan frame with the Exo bag.

icb12

FNG
Anyway, I wondered if anyone was running just the Cargo panel on a Kifaru and if so what you are running for pockets? Thanks for your help.

That's what I run most of the time.
Cargo Panel with 3 large belt pouches on the outside. Mystery Ranch Lid. Water Bottle pockets and small belt pouches on the belt. I use a sea to summit big river dry bag or the kifaru camp bag.

Getting the water bottle pouch and small belt pouch on the belt at the same time took a little judicious slicing of extraneous stitching, and grinding on the 3 bar sliders.

Overall I think it's my favorite setup. Like anything it has its pluses and minuses

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I have run a Kifaru Duplex hunter frame, cargo panel with a large and medium belt pouch, a guide lid, and a small belt pouch and water bottle holder on the belt. I have a hanging meat bag inside the cargo panel. I throw a camelback water bladder in the hanging meat bag. This is more than enough room to hunt out of, and makes it nice once you need to haul meat. I run a camp bag or Outdoor Research dry bag inside the cargo panel when I'm packing in. Dump the camp bag/dry bag in camp, and you're good to go. There are times when I think that I would want a more traditional enclosed bag, but for the most part I've been happy with that setup. I've run that setup on many deer hunts, and a few elk hunts.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I run a bare frame and cargo net, two belt pockets ( small / Med ) and a guide lid. I also have a reckoning that I interchange with the cargo net.

Its awesome if you wanna go light for the day, pack some food, gloves, toque in the guide lid with the kill kit. GPS + small camera in the med pouch. Steripen and knick knacks in the small pouch.

If you are lucky enough to close the deal on something, the cargo net can expand out enough to buckle your knees so no worries there.

Also, if you want to be really light. you can open up a game bag, chuck all your gear in that ( with the rest of your game bags) and just toss the whole bundle into the cargo net which allows you to ditch your lid.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone.

I keep going back and forth between options. The Nomad 2 is another one I keep considering, that way I wouldn't have to figure out what pockets I need or worry about a lid. I put an 80lb bag of sack concrete in my Cabelas frame and went for a walk tonight, I decided that pack isn't as comfortable as I remember it being. The Exo handles the same weight much better for me. I love that pack, I just need to decide if I want to spend a lot of money to also have a Kifaru to handle really bulky loads or if I want to just get by for this hunt. If I use my Exo and Crib my buddy will use my Cabelas frame, maybe I can make him pack the bulky stuff!

ScottinPA

WKR
I tried out a similar setup earlier this year on a few training hikes. I have a Kifaru hunter frame, cargo panel by Jimmy Tarps, GI sustenance pouch on it, Kuiu water bladder bag in it, and a guide lid. It was a little short on volume (GI bag was crammed). Picked up a 22mag that I like pretty well.
Another thought was strapping a Native to the panel. I may try that before it's all said and done.

jmez

WKR
Another idea for you. Buddy went on a moose hunt last year and he used a Kifaru frame with just a cargo net. He loved the setup and is going to use it exclusively now. He sold all of his bags.

Put your gear in dry bags and attach with the net. Simple and light.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Schism

WKR
I used my Kifaru hunter frame with CP, med belt pouch attached to CP, and guide lid on a moose hunt last year. It worked great to pack camp in using dry bags and unload all but the daily hunting necessities. Kept the pack nice and light but retained the ability to haul meat out if needed. I went the CP route because I thought the meat,antler,cape loads may not fit well in my dt2. When I go on a hunt like that again, I’ll likely use the same setup. For elk hunts I still prefer my dt2 bag.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a cargo panel for sale right now. $100. Coyote brown. PM me if interested.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I ended up going with the Nomad 2 bag. I decided for my needs this was a pretty good fit. I went with the stouter 26" tactical frame, Nomad 2, and Grab it 2. I also got a 35L dry bag with an Event bottom that I can run between the wings. It's larger than I probably need but compacts well. Day hunting I can run my puffy, gloves, baklava, and rain gear in the dry bag and excess air escapes through the bottom of the bag as the set-up flexes. I run gear I want access to in the zippered wing pockets and my spotter and tripod in the pockets inside the wings. I also added extra compression straps to the open K clip attachments I leave compressed to the frame until it's time to pack.

I have only been on a few training hikes with this set-up and am still dialing it in. It definitely doesn't have the flexibility of the Exo and I will never forget I have a frame on my back like I can with the Exo, but that might all be good for what I plan to do with it. It's comfortable just stiffer laterally than the Exo. I haven't had as much weight in it yet as I have packed with the Exo. I will in the future, I'm just still tweaking adjustments right now and not yet working up 80lb+ packs in my training for the year. I really think the 2 packs will make an excellent combo for anything I might tackle. I have a lot invested in them so I don't plan to buy any more! I'll compare the two after I have the experience with both to do a decent job of it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I havnt tried it yet with a kifaru frame but I used a Barney’s frame with no bag to haul out a lot of animals. I’m looking st the cargo net/panel option for my 28” tactical frame.

CC

FNG
Newmexican, How does the Barney's compare with the Kifaru for hauling Moose quarters? I have both, hauled more elk with the Kifaru cause that is what is with me. Planning on going to Alaska next year for moose, I know the Barney's frame would work well, but dang that Kifaru is comfortable.

Ore2u

FNG
this is how my partner runs his. he has a frame with the cargo panel and 2 small belt pouches. Thats it