EDC Pack/Day Hunter

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the market for a pack to replace my laptop bag. Mainly because I carry more stuff around with me these days. While looking into new bags I decided to start looking for something I could use as a day hunter too. I've been looking at the 14r, SG Avail and the MR 3 Day Assault. (I've seen a few other MRs on Camofire too). I know the 14r is popular but wondered if others had used the Avail and 3 Day Assault

Things I want it for:
Laptop bag and carry a few other items on my person.
Scouting/Day hunts, where I'm only a few miles from the truck.

Things I want on/in the bag:
Waist Belt
Not look like a "Tactical" bag
Some Interior organization or pockets

While budget is always a concern, I don't mind waiting and saving a little more for the 14r if it's really worth it.

Agustus

FNG
I have a mystery ranch 3 day assault on the classifieds now here. It’s in foliage if you’re interested?

Rick

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I have a mystery ranch 3 day assault on the classifieds now here. It’s in foliage if you’re interested?

Rick

I still am looking into these packs and not ready to buy. Why did you stop using it as an EDC?

Agustus

FNG
I have had an x-ray kifaru with the organizer and grab it. I wanted it for the bigger volume of the main compartment. In the end, I am just more used to and comfortable with the X-ray’s layout.

Rick

Agustus

FNG
For me, the 3 day assault is a more comfortable pack when loaded up than the x-ray, if that’s important to you. My edc bag generally has <20 lbs loaded for work.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe look at one of the Hill People bags. Umlindi, Aston House, or Aston House BC would work. I had the Aston House. It had its plusses, but ultimately the two 4”deep pockets was too limiting for me. I’m currently waiting for the Aston BC to come into stock to give it a go. With the top zipper opening and a computer sleeve it might make a great bag for what you want. I ave the Umlindi and will keep it, but I don’t know how it would work for a computer bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystery ranch has some Good close outs going.

Closeout | Mystery Ranch Backpacks

I got the crest in stone. Very similar to the 3 DAP with a 20 liter capacity and a shove it flap.

Crest Mountain Pack | Mystery Ranch Backpacks

I have a 3 dap. I rarely use it for EDC. Just too big. The crest is a great size. It isn’t a hauler but has enough suspension to carry a bit of a load. Plus the shove it and the pals slots give you room to expand if you really needed it.

Deepshax

WKR
I think the 14'r is a great day pack for hunting but it would be on the bottom of my list as a laptop/work bag. Ive grown to love the laptop compartment in the GR1 and its my go to EDC (also low on the tactical look w/ only three rows of pals).

Last edited:
I bought a Prometheus Design Werx SHADO 28L when they first came out for the same purposes you are looking for. I have been using it for about two years now and still like it.

*S.H.A.D.O. Pack 28L | PDW | Prometheus Design Werx

First of all it has a padded laptop sleeve with a false bottom. So if you drop your pack on the bottom your laptop isn't hitting first. I carry a laptop most of the time and have never had an issue with damage, and I don't use a proctective cover or anything like that.

It isn't tactical looking in my opinion, although some might think otherwise. It doesn't have any exterior PALS webbing.

The waistbelt would be an extra cost buy they do make one for the pack. I modified a Kifaru padded omni belt to work with mine.

They used to offer a compression panel that I really like, because the pack does lack adequate compression on its own. I just checked the website and I couldn't find it. I also added some 1" looplocs so I could add horizontal compression straps similar to the smaller Kifaru packs like the x-ray.

The suspension is a little lack luster if you are a shorter person but I don't have that problem, but you might depending on your size. I have had over 40lbs in it (with a belt) and it wasn't awful. Probably the max of what I would call comfortable.

The optional framesheet is a must also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
Some of my favorite every day carry and duty packs are ski touring or mountaineering specific. Among those favorites are my Mammut Trion Packs. I carry my laptop and daily gear in a Mammut Trion Pro 35 that is just as capable of doing an overnight trip in the back country. I also like Dakine packs. They both make very adaptable packs for nearly any use. They'll range from $120ish to just under $200.

e7q40ug.jpg

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through a very similar backpack searching process, I was hoping to find a bag that I could carry daily for my laptop, but also use for day hunting or weekend travel if I wanted to. I ended up deciding that I would be better off getting two bags to fill those roles. So, I picked up a Recon 9 Evade for the daily carry which I have really enjoyed so far. Planning on getting something else to fill the day hikes/hunts and travel role. Considering the Kifaru Tarryall and 14'r, Exo K2000, PWD SHADO, SG Avail, and a couple of the MR options as well. Too many awesome pack options out there.

The Avail was at the top of the list before I decided to get two packs, but it seemed a bit too 'strappy' and 'technical' for an EDC pack.

Last edited:

92xj

WKR
If a 14r is on the list, just step up a tick in size and down in money and buy a woodsman for your bare frame that rides in the truck. I use mine for day hunts to 3 days with a roll top pod under it to my carry on flight bag multiple times a year. Has the meat shelf for your day hunts to bring the first load out saving an empty meat trip with other day packs. Pop bag off frame and it turns into a duffle(ish) bag, so keep all your work folders and computer in it, pop off frame and back to grab it and strap for your weekly hikes.

wesfromky

WKR
I have been using a Kifaru Antero for a bit over a year now for my daily work bag. I was also using it for day hiking / scouting, but got tired of always swapping loads out, so bought a 22mag and a 22" frame. Both are great to use while going cross country here in Kentucky where it can get pretty thick. The 22mag with the frame can handle probably at least double the weight vs the Antero, but still moves through the underbrush just as well. I could see running the 22mag as an EDC pack, though probably not with the belt, but if I had to have just one pack, I could make it work.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I’d check out hill people gear. An umlindi with an attache strapped to it is a setup I’ve been looking at for travel and could certainly be used for hunting/scouting as well. Not too tactical looking IMO either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
If a 14r is on the list, just step up a tick in size and down in money and buy a woodsman for your bare frame that rides in the truck. I use mine for day hunts to 3 days with a roll top pod under it to my carry on flight bag multiple times a year. Has the meat shelf for your day hunts to bring the first load out saving an empty meat trip with other day packs. Pop bag off frame and it turns into a duffle(ish) bag, so keep all your work folders and computer in it, pop off frame and back to grab it and strap for your weekly hikes.

Bare frame! That thing has a grabit, 2 straps and a bag of salt... It's not bare.

After thinking about it more and remembering I bought my wife a winter hydration pack, 11 years ago, that she never uses. I'm going to try and run that camelbak as my EDC. This one. It has plenty of room, waist belt, good intieror organization options and it doesn't look tactical at all. I'm gonna buy a dedicated scouting/day pack... not sure what yet.

So I was in a very similar hunt a month ago. I bought a 14r and it proved to be a little much for my everyday carry. I still use it on all my hunts, but I bought an Urban Zippy with an organizer pouch and it's the best EDC bag I've ever owned.

Daily I carry a notebook and planner, laptop, college book, small hygiene type kit, and I keep a beanie, headlamp and bonus pair of gloves as they become needed at work from time to time. I haven't figured out a good way to carry my pistol around in the bag yet, if you have any suggestions on that I'm all ears...

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use the Vertx Gambut Plus for my EDC its a great pack and has some tactical features like being able to put level 3 armor in it and use it as a shield. I highly recommend the Gambut.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m in the market for the same sort of pack you are looking for. I’ve just been using my native lid as a day pack but I’m giving serious thought to a stone glacier avail or a kifaru Antero.

Badlands makes some good packs in the category you are talking about. The Superday is a good one, but im not sure if you can get it in non camo.