Kifaru Muskeg packs

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So with your insight, elaborate, don't just plug.

Like Aron has said on all of the videos he has made for the products.. they are all based off of feedback from customers. The crater/cavern was a combination of the Reckoning compression straps and the want for a sewn in spotter pocket and side zipper placement. I don't know what else you want me to elaborate on. I was making the point, not a plug, that if there wasn't a demand for those types of packs, that Kifaru wouldn't waste time and money on them. Defending the fact that they were getting accused of only chasing money. If there's a certain question on a product that I have experience with... I'll definitely elaborate.

Gentlemen...easy. Kifaru is in the business to make money. Obviously. That comment was not a jab at Kifaru. I said it because Kifaru makes packs they think people will buy. If they don't sell, they get discontinued.

I should be able to make a statement saying the packs seemed 'dumbed down' without triggering someone lol. Dumbed down is another way of saying 'lack of features', or too simplistic.

Back to the subject at hand. I do like the muskeg pack layout. I would prefer if they were offered in 500d and not xpac. I'll probably buy a belt pouch in the material to try and go from there.

I may have missed a beat. Where can one find out about the Muskegs or is the info to come later in the videos?

Sorry if this has been answered.

I may have missed a beat. Where can one find out about the Muskegs or is the info to come later in the videos?

Sorry if this has been answered.
29089632_419542798486870_5643456687571468288_n.jpg

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back to the subject at hand. I do like the muskeg pack layout. I would prefer if they were offered in 500d and not xpac. I'll probably buy a belt pouch in the material to try and go from there.

Me too, I really like that layout. Especially just the position of the center zip.

They may not make any sense for your uses. But they had enough feedback and demand from other people for those designs to put time and money into producing them, so they're fulfilling someones needs/wants. I don't really think that makes any of their products "dumbed down", I think that's meeting demand for customers.

Well said. Kifaru builds what people request. I surely do not have a use for those bags but, I only travel out west and hunt occasionally. I mostly hunt whitetails here.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
So with your insight, elaborate, don't just plug.

Man, did someone dump in your cereal today? Jordan has always given unbiased reviews on products from what I have read. She is also good at explaining what she means. No need to give her grief. ;)

Jeffh0214

FNG
Have they posted any weight specifications on the new packs with frame yet? And does anyone know if they are X21 or X42 Xpac? I bought a Seek Outside Gila 3500 in the X42 (3 lbs on my scale) in November for family backpack trips and possibly hunting. I was thinking about about buying their Peregrine 3500 for hunting, but it was a lot heavier in X42 with meat shelf at 4 lbs 2 oz. How do the new Kifaru offerings compare since SO has been seemingly working with Xpac for a while?

Man, did someone dump in your cereal today? Jordan has always given unbiased reviews on products from what I have read. She is also good at explaining what she means. No need to give her grief. ;)

I think Aaron just seems to attract grumpy trolls. It is his musk. Just too dang manly for his own good. NASA is working with Elon Musk to come up with something that can tone down that much “Raw Dude”. Until then, haters gonna hate.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Never understood the bias against Aron. Been following him since the beginning and never seen him be anything but a stand up guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gentlemen...easy. Kifaru is in the business to make money. Obviously. That comment was not a jab at Kifaru. I said it because Kifaru makes packs they think people will buy. If they don't sell, they get discontinued.

I should be able to make a statement saying the packs seemed 'dumbed down' without triggering someone lol. Dumbed down is another way of saying 'lack of features', or too simplistic.

Agreed. Also, it's not the dumbed down comment of the pack that I didn't care for. It was the attitude presented towards Jordan that pissed me off. That's the great thing about America, we are all allowed to have our own opinion regardless of what others think. The great thing about Rokslide is we don't put up with the rude people :)

sr80

WKR
I miss the lid straps that are attached to the frame near the shoulder straps. I like using a lid, even when using the pack as a day pack. And i like to be able to snug the lid down tight to the top of the frame. Ive got an argali which seems to be the last pack offered with that style of lid attachment, the new system seems way too floppy to me.

I miss the lid straps that are attached to the frame near the shoulder straps. I like using a lid, even when using the pack as a day pack. And i like to be able to snug the lid down tight to the top of the frame. Ive got an argali which seems to be the last pack offered with that style of lid attachment, the new system seems way too floppy to me.

I noticed that change when I got my Reckoning (was using a high camp 4800 and 7000 previously), so I ended up cutting off the ladder lock slider buckle from my guide lid, then attached a removable male auto lock to the attachment point on the top of the bag that sits on the top of the frame just above the load lifter attachments, then a removable female auto lock onto my guide lid - that fixed the floppiness, but it also removed the ability to expand the lid up when the back is full. But, with the reckoning specifically I can expand the bag and the guide lid pretty much rides on top of the bag just fine.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I think the new packs look bad ass. I like the two tone look and having something more water resistant with out adding an insert or fly is appealing. Same reason I like z-packs Dyneema bags on the ultralight hiking side.

I do not own kifaru as I just ordered an exo. I have always liked the look of the kifaru packs and if I was ordering on looks alone that’s what I would have bought. Kifaru just didn’t check enough boxes for me personally. If I order a new pack or decide I don’t like the exo one of these or the reckoning will be at the top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
I think the new packs look perfect for my uses. And Im hoping to get one ASAP

You guys talking about 'dumbed down' packs, honestly thats what most people need and use.

One big bag is the most practical for hunting, I personally hate all these little pockets and pouches, they just seem a real waste of time and weight on a pack, and you cant keep gear together and dry,

I think a waterproof pack has merit, and it will be good to see how waterproof they actually are with seam sealing.

pretty much all the hunters I know use a pack with one big compartment, and maybe 1-3 smaller pockets on the lid/top of the pack. Thats all you need.

slowelk

WKR
Agreed. Also, it's not the dumbed down comment of the pack that I didn't care for. It was the attitude presented towards Jordan that pissed me off. That's the great thing about America, we are all allowed to have our own opinion regardless of what others think. The great thing about Rokslide is we don't put up with the rude people :)

As a defacto Kifaru rep and Rokslide "Super Moderator", Jordan should have indulged the open-ended thought/question on the intent of the new gear rather than cutting off the post. Who did they have in mind with the use of the waterproof material, what was the reason for feature X or feature Y? That's what should be brought to the table rather than "they were catering to the customer". I think Jordan brings a lot of great content to Rokslide, but when you plug a product, you should be ready to explain the features and the intent behind them. If wanting more from a company rep and site moderator is rude, I guess I have a problem.

edit - sorry to detract from the topic at hand.

Kifaru has some frame videos out on instagram. I’m only interested in the “ultralight” so I didn’t pay much attention to the “light” frame.

Ultralight 26” = 2lb 12 oz
Ultralight 24” = 2lb 10 oz

Pretty solid showing compared to the SG EVO at 2lb 7oz.