Kifaru Muskeg packs

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a defacto Kifaru rep and Rokslide "Super Moderator", Jordan should have indulged the open-ended thought/question on the intent of the new gear rather than cutting off the post. Who did they have in mind with the use of the waterproof material, what was the reason for feature X or feature Y? That's what should be brought to the table rather than "they were catering to the customer". I think Jordan brings a lot of great content to Rokslide, but when you plug a product, you should be ready to explain the features and the intent behind them. If wanting more from a company rep and site moderator is rude, I guess I have a problem.

edit - sorry to detract from the topic at hand.

I won’t speak for Jordan, as I do not know 100%. However I am very willing to bet Jordan does not get paid by Kifaru , and is not a rep for them either. Does she test, and review gear, absolutely. Every company in the world has people who do that. Knowing Jordan as well as I do, as I stated earlier, if there would have been specific questions asked she would gladly have answered them. As far as super moderator goes, that is just a generic term that allows the moderator to look over all forums, it has nothing to do with representing a company or answering questions. Basically it allows her to kick off any jerks in any of the forums :) I am all for good, thoughtful, and fun discussion. Do not confuse that with it being OK to be rude or disrespectful, towards anyone on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a defacto Kifaru rep and Rokslide "Super Moderator", Jordan should have indulged the open-ended thought/question on the intent of the new gear rather than cutting off the post. Who did they have in mind with the use of the waterproof material, what was the reason for feature X or feature Y? That's what should be brought to the table rather than "they were catering to the customer". I think Jordan brings a lot of great content to Rokslide, but when you plug a product, you should be ready to explain the features and the intent behind them. If wanting more from a company rep and site moderator is rude, I guess I have a problem.

edit - sorry to detract from the topic at hand.

I ain't jumping on the band wagon here. But, come on man, the video earlier in this post explained what the Packs intent was. It was meant for hunting in situations that your GEAR must stay dry. It's not a big deal to dry it out in front of a heater or, hanging over a stove in base camp. It could be life and death when you are sheep or goat hunting. Imagination and knowing one's environment will dictate whether or not these nags fit your needs.

I understands r24's irritation because I know what his main uses are, for his Kifaru gear. I'm right there with him on his needs. Trust me, his post had nothing to do with not knowing what these new offerings were intended for. It was simply an expression of when are they going to get to making a whitetail tree stand hunting pack that fits the frames. It's been discussed here before. Many of the eastern states have bigger and more road less areas then CO. We pack out our deer and bear. Not drive ATV's to them. We need a pack with pockets for tree stand organization, with meat carrying capabilities. We keep hearing that might be coming. Hopefully it is.

For all the Kifaru groupie charges that get thrown around here, there is just about as many that will take a shot at them for doing what they do. For two years, its been a very prevalent topic about how Kifaru needs to make a waterproof bag. Their frames were too heavy. They were too expensive. Well, they just addressed all those customer claims. Be happy fellas. Life is good and about to get a lot better for Kifaru owners and, prospective buyers. God Bless men

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well said.

Now back to the topic at hand. When are they going to put out more details on these packs?
I am not good at being patient. :)

I am eager for the day they put pics up on their site regarding the new frame and the new packbags...

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
I will most likely be ordering the new 1/8" frame. I was originally going to get a Tactical frame, but I know what I would be getting with it as I had a G2 Frame for years. So I think I am going to try the new frame... I can always turn around and sell it if I prefer the full Tactical Frame.

Or maybe a SO Revolution with a side zip Fortress 6300????????

Now which packbag is another story...

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
So, only 9 oz. difference between the new 26 inch ultralight (2lb 12oz) and the 26 inch duplex (3lb 5 oz.)? I was thinking people were saying it was going to be well over a pound lighter...maybe that was against the heaviest aluminum tactical. Either way, it makes it a little tougher decision whether or not to try one. Cool design, for sure!

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Soooo I've been running a custom Tarryall made in 100% XPAC for over a year now and I can confidently tell everyone that this material is legit.

I've beaten the piss out of mine and absolutely no issues. The material is great for the quick rain storm and snow. It is definitely waterproof-ish but it will get you through those quick spirts just fine.

My only complaint is when it's below zero the material makes noise as it becomes stiffer. It never was a deal breaker but it's noticeable.

I've packed two deer out with the pack and the new material cleans WAY better than cordura

So if you have questions...ask.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Soooo I've been running a custom Tarryall made in 100% XPAC for over a year now and I can confidently tell everyone that this material is legit.

I've beaten the piss out of mine and absolutely no issues. The material is great for the quick rain storm and snow. It is definitelt not waterproof but it will get you through those quick spirts just fine.

My only complaint is when it's below zero the material makes noise as it becomes stiffer. It never was a deal breaker but it's noticeable.

I've packed two deer out with the pack and the new material cleans WAY better than cordura

What weight XPac?

I understands r24's irritation because I know what his main uses are, for his Kifaru gear. I'm right there with him on his needs. Trust me, his post had nothing to do with not knowing what these new offerings were intended for. It was simply an expression of when are they going to get to making a whitetail tree stand hunting pack that fits the frames. It's been discussed here before. Many of the eastern states have bigger and more road less areas then CO. We pack out our deer and bear. Not drive ATV's to them. We need a pack with pockets for tree stand organization, with meat carrying capabilities. We keep hearing that might be coming. Hopefully it is.

as someone who's tried a ton of different pack systems for hauling treestands and whitetail hunting i can understand if kifaru has trepidation about getting into that market. they're a company that specializes in packs for western hunting and coming up with a pack for our needs is no easy task. we could put 5 guys in a room that do our type of hunting and not be able to come to a consensus on the perfect pack. that and your average whitetail hunter is not going to see the value in spending $500 or $600 dollars on a pack so i wonder how large the market really is. look at how many pack designs they've come up with to meet the needs of western hunters. to do the R&D and testing to come up with a few designs to try and make a few eastern hunters happy is a pretty big risk. that said, i think there is room in the lineup for a 2000-2400 ci bag that fits the frame that would work really well for us, and at the same time have some appeal to the western guys. sorry for being off topic.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
With the new material could you get away with not bringing a pack cover in western washington?
That's s tough call. It's extremely water resistant/proof but for days on days of heavy rain or wet condition, you might need some extra coverage. Hell, up there you might need a kayak bag haha

JP100

WKR

I've beaten the piss out of mine and absolutely no issues. The material is great for the quick rain storm and snow. It is definitelt not waterproof but it will get you through those quick spirts just fine.

Is your bag seam sealed?

Does the fabric it self actually 'leak'??

Or is it just the seams etc?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Is your bag seam sealed?

Does the fabric it self actually 'leak'??

Or is it just the seams etc?
It is not seam sealed. It was the first proto made in this material

The fabric doesn't not leak. It only does similar to wet weather gear... when it's been wet for the entire day and you keep rubbing the material. Hope that makes sense

JP100

WKR
It is not seam sealed. It was the first proto made in this material

The fabric doesn't not leak. It only does similar to wet weather gear... when it's been wet for the entire day and you keep rubbing the material. Hope that makes sense

Yea ok. As I understood its a real waterproof fabric, so with seam sealing and some regular DWR is should be pretty darn water proof(depending on the closure obviously)

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I for one see a use for an UL rainproof bag with limited pockets.

Lighter products that do the job of a heavier product without sacrificing in other areas are good. We hunt mountains.
Waterproof bags mean no rain cover being hauled around when hunting in a wet climate. How much does that pack rain cover weigh? That lightens up the system even more...
As far as the lack of pockets, I have used the pull outs to organize my small items for a few years and prefer it over tiny sewed in pockets. If I switch hunts or packs, I pull the pull outs out and toss into the other bag or into the truck if not needed any longer. Minimal pockets are exactly what I want.
We all have our own style of getting things done efficiently.

amp713

WKR
I want to know if there is potentially any loss of weight carrying capabilities with the ultra light frame vs the light.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This new kifaru set up (lightweight frame, x-pack bags) is going to give stone glacier a run for their money. I’m lucky to have both a kifaru and a SG and I’m still on the fence about which one I like “better” but if this new kifaru stuff had of been available 3 months ago, I’m not sure I’d have tried SG.

It’s a great time to be in the market for a new hunting pack, that’s for sure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I could see myself getting a muskeg bag, seems like it would be. cool option to throw on my tactical frame when I don't need all the clutter of the fulcrum but still want that the ability to comfortably haul massive loads with my tactical frame. Save a bit of weight to.