Kifaru Muskeg packs

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does everyone think of the new x-pac Muskeg bags? I'd really like that smaller size I know! I really like the side zipper placement and the back pocket for a spotter in day mode.

I'll attach the videos on here that are supposed to come out later today.

amp713

WKR
I'm wishing I wouldn't have sold my EMR2 set up yet..... I sold it to try out stone glacier cuz I'd heard alot of good. Now I'm wishing I had my kifaru frame still and bought the medium muskeg..... looks to have the minimial features I liked about the sky 5900 vs my emr2. Can't win them all but you sure can buy and test them all eventually though!!

I need to see more when the videos come out. I am personally not crazy about the 2-tone, but I can get past that. They also look like, in true kifaru fashion, that you will need to add pockets for spotters, and to hold tripod legs if you want to run a tripod down the side...all of that could kill the weight of it after you add a pound of pockets and a lid. Hopefully I am wrong, but looking at Aron's video they look like reckoning style bags without any side pockets or anything sewed into them.

The SG X-curve and sky 5900 bag are 5.5lb, thats going to be the benchmark for me on the new frame and middle sized ~5k CU IN bag.

92xj

WKR
I need to see more when the videos come out. I am personally not crazy about the 2-tone, but I can get past that. They also look like, in true kifaru fashion, that you will need to add pockets for spotters, and to hold tripod legs if you want to run a tripod down the side...all of that could kill the weight of it after you add a pound of pockets and a lid. Hopefully I am wrong, but looking at Aron's video they look like reckoning style bags without any side pockets or anything sewed into them.

The SG X-curve and sky 5900 bag are 5.5lb, thats going to be the benchmark for me on the new frame and middle sized ~5k CU IN bag.

I believe there is a lip the runs around the bottom of the bag that pulls out and you can put tripod legs or the butt of a gun in, run up the side and hold the top with a compression strap. No pocket or weight needed. Also, pocket on the back should hold spotter depending on size, I believe.

Lawnboi

WKR
Though they are xpac, it didn't sound like they were that light. Kifaru has made 2lb pack bags before.

I'd be interested in a smaller one, but not sure It's worth replacing a highcamp 4800. All I would be gaining is the xpac fabric

Options are good though

I'm more interested in seeing more of the frame

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Basically a minimalist type waterproof bag made with xpac material. Sewn in little sleeve all the way around the bottom instead of pals so you can drop tripod legs, trekking poles, tent poles, arrows, etc without having to add a pocket. It has what I consider an offset center zip with a long sewn in pocket on the back. That pocket is basically useless if the bag is really full, but sounds like if that bag isn't packed full you can put a spotter in it. Compression system like the reckoning. 3 sizes.. like a 3000, 5000 and I want to say like a 5000 ish on the big one... do not even quote me on that. I don't know weights but supposed to be pretty dang light.

I just saw Aron's post on Instagram but I can't find anything on their website about the pack. So is this the new "lightweight" pack I've heard rumors about? Any idea as to when they might have some info or videos describing it. Sounded like a new frame also. Interested to see what it's all about!

Basically a minimalist type waterproof bag made with xpac material. Sewn in little sleeve all the way around the bottom instead of pals so you can drop tripod legs, trekking poles, tent poles, arrows, etc without having to add a pocket. It has what I consider an offset center zip with a long sewn in pocket on the back. That pocket is basically useless if the bag is really full, but sounds like if that bag isn't packed full you can put a spotter in it. Compression system like the reckoning. 3 sizes.. like a 3000, 5000 and I want to say like a 5000 ish on the big one... do not even quote me on that. I don't know weights but supposed to be pretty dang light.

Thanks for the insight, that answered some of my questions/concerns.

I just saw Aron's post on Instagram but I can't find anything on their website about the pack. So is this the new "lightweight" pack I've heard rumors about? Any idea as to when they might have some info or videos describing it. Sounded like a new frame also. Interested to see what it's all about!

They said videos would be out later today possibly, then up for sale on the website Friday or Monday. You haven't missed much, just a few teaser pics.

And yes, the announcement is for the lightweight frame and some new lightweight Xpac bags.

If it is Kifaru, you can take it to the bank it’s gonna be right. If I hunted the Pacific Northwest or, goat and sheep, I’d own one in a heartbeat

In what regards?
Specifically the crater/cavern, urban ruck, the new muskeg bags and now the door gunner. The designs for them all seem too dumbed down and lose functionality. And the muskeg bags seem nice but only offered in xpac material.

Kifaru will follow the money so whatever.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Specifically the crater/cavern, urban ruck, the new muskeg bags and now the door gunner. The designs for them all seem too dumbed down and lose functionality. And the muskeg bags seem nice but only offered in xpac material.

They may not make any sense for your uses. But they had enough feedback and demand from other people for those designs to put time and money into producing them, so they're fulfilling someones needs/wants. I don't really think that makes any of their products "dumbed down", I think that's meeting demand for customers.

slowelk

WKR
This is a discussion forum, and since Kifaru gives you free gear you should elaborate on the intent of the new products rather than squashing his thoughts with your biased opinion.

Gotcha

Yea seems like they are going back to the Kifaru roots with these last few packs. Years ago Kifaru packs were just one big bag with no pockets. Then there was so much demand for pockets they created bags with bunch of things going on. These last few packs are back to their light weight simple ideas. Kifaru is great about producing thing that people want. Where there is a need they will execute.

Me personally I’m excited about the new bags and frame! They Look neat and light weight. And I like the one big bag mentality.

Just my thoughts

Last edited:
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a discussion forum, and since Kifaru gives you free gear you should elaborate on the intent of the new products rather than squashing his thoughts with your biased opinion.

Whoa dude. It's definitely a discussion forum.. and I encourage discussions. He didn't really elaborate on his post, just angled that the last few packs they have released are dumbed down and they are following the money. I know the Kifaru guys and don't believe that is their intent at all, so I defended it. I said that they may not make sense to him, but they do for someone.

And implying that I'm biased because they give me free stuff is a bit harsh... I have paid for both of my frames and the bags I use the most. Yes, they gave me the Crater because they asked me to review it on here. Do they newer ones really trip my trigger? Actually they don't, but I don't slam the company because I don't prefer them.

Gotcha

Yea seems like they are kind of going full circle in my opinion. back to the Kifaru roots with these last few packs. Years ago Kifaru packs were just one big bag with no pockets. Then there was so much demand for pockets they created bags with bunch of things going on. These last few packs are back to their light weight simple ideas. .

I’m excited about the new bags! Look neat and light weight. And I like the one big bag mentality.

Just my thoughts
Sorry I figured my post didn’t convey completely. I like the big bag design, but I like the ability to add pouches as needed.

I’ve been using Kifaru for more than 10 years. All paid for with my own money. Just voicing my opinion.

slowelk

WKR
Whoa dude. It's definitely a discussion forum.. and I encourage discussions. He didn't really elaborate on his post, just angled that the last few packs they have released are dumbed down and they are following the money. I know the Kifaru guys and don't believe that is their intent at all, so I defended it. I said that they may not make sense to him, but they do for someone.

And implying that I'm biased because they give me free stuff is a bit harsh... I have paid for both of my frames and the bags I use the most. Yes, they gave me the Crater because they asked me to review it on here. Do they newer ones really trip my trigger? Actually they don't, but I don't slam the company because I don't prefer them.

So with your insight, elaborate, don't just plug.