Original Timberline vs Duplex comfort?

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running the original internal frame Timberline 1 since it came out in 2012. I LOVE this pack. Simple, light, and does everything I need. I always resisted the urge to go the Duplex route because it came with a LARGE weight gain. Then they came out with the new Duplex, now the ultralight. Now I'm tempted. Still going to be a weight gain, but...My question is this. Does anyone out there have experience packing serious weight in the internal T1 and one of the newer Duplexes. I can gain a few ounces, and drop the money, if I'm going to gain a SIGNIFICANT amount of comfort. I've packed out a bunch of animals on my T1, and can't imagine something being much more comfortable, but they quit making them, soooo...any experience with BOTH would be great, or if anyone knows Aron's take on this since I believe the T1 was kind of his baby. Thanks.

I’ve owned the T-1 and T-2 and the Ul frame, Hunter frame and tactical frame. For me my T-1 is as comfortable as anything, and like you said quite a bit lighter

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you want to try a new bag I would just stick with timberline. I have the original timberline and the new hunter frame with the reckoning bag and prefer the comfort of the timberline but prefer the bag layout of the reckoning. For me the ultimate setup would be the reckoning with an internal frame like the original timberline.

The reason I like the reckoning is the larger side pockets for scope and tripod and easy access to clothing and other large items through the center zipper. With a belt pocket I never utilized the pockets on the back of the timberline much but did carry TP, headlamp and first aid kit in the back pockets. With the reckoning I carry those items in a belt pocket attached to the fold over lid.

OP
R

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, man! See, I'm just the opposite. I love the pocket layout of the Timberline. I never need to get in the main bag, because it's almost exclusively just other day's food bags. Just switch one out at night. So I'd rather have the back pockets for small stuff than the full zip. So, I guess if I'm not gaining any comfort with a new frame, the only thing I'd gain is some versatility with running other bags, cargo panel, net, etc. I would assume the new frames wouldn't "barrel" as bad, but it's only an issue if the bag's stuffed clear full. As it stands now, I've got 8200-8400 cubic inches with the Guide lid/ OGL, great comfort, and compression for right at or just under 6 pounds. Aaaand, I already own it.

I really kind of wanted everyone to talk me in to a new setup, but no takers so far. Maybe tried and true (and lighter, and cheaper) wins out sometimes. It does make me wonder though, why so many guys went away from a versatile, integrated pack, when most of them are only running one bag anyway? Different bag layouts for different folks, I guess...

I have the internal frame timberline and the new ultralight frame , I feel the old internal frame timberline is still the most comfortable for me, but like the option of switching bags with the new frame.

OP
R

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Huh...interesting. All helpful comments, just not what I was expecting to hear at all. I'm glad I asked!

Lawnboi

WKR
I had an original timberline. It carried great, but I prefer the versatility of the new hunter frame. Their newer frame has some notable upgrades that make it more comfortable to me atleast.

I don't at all regret selling my original t1, or my bikini frame. Really like the current frame and will continue to use it while trying to avoid spending more cash on backpacks that I don't need. The frame and a few bags does it all and then some.

It would be interesting to see an updated internal frame big kifaru pack