Flying w/ internal frame pack

I was curious if there were any odd qwercks regarding flying with my internal frame pack, specifically my MR Pinter. I am hoping to be able to take it as carry-on.

May be a stupid question but wanted to double check to avoid any surprises.

Maverick940

Banned
No surprises, as long as it doesn't exceed about 2,800 cubic inches. The universal airline limit for carry-on is 22x14x9.

OP
W
Thanks for the reply.

The Guide light frame is 25" x 12" x 1" , the bag is 30"x15"x9" (packed full I would assume) and 2500 cu.

I have flown with a similar size pack. You are less likely to draw a foul if it is on your back IMO. Don’t over stuff it and tuck the belt behind your back. If you have to check it then it maybe best to stick it in a duffle to protect the straps and buckles.

Maverick940

Banned
Definitely do something about loose straps and buckles, if you check your pack as checked baggage. I usually shrink-wrap my external-frame backpacks when I check them. I haven't had anyone as yet cut the shrink-wrap to see what's inside the pack, but I don't travel with explosives, so I figure it just goes right through TSA cargo x-ray.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I flew with my 24" Kifaru Reckoning this past season, no problems whats so ever. I just compressed the hell out of it and only had my food and some loose ends in it. No questions asked.

Dusty2426

WKR
Flew home on United with my 26 reckoning compressed with sleep system and boots no issues

frankrb3

WKR
This is one of the reasons why I picked up a 22" duplex frame with the 22 magnum bag. Good external frame pack that can be carried on. I would hate to have a carry on bag that doesn't meet the actual dimensions of the airlines size requirements. At any time you could encounter an employee who will make you check the bag if it doesn't fit in their little size checking box and with the way airlines have been treating their customers lately I wouldn't wanna chance it.

Last edited:

FLAK

WKR
That little box/bag checker thing at the gate looks more like a shoe box to me.
I bet 90% of the carry-ons would not fit in that thing.

frankrb3

WKR
That little box/bag checker thing at the gate looks more like a shoe box to me.
I bet 90% of the carry-ons would not fit in that thing.

True, but that's why they have it. This way when too many people bring their oversized bags onboard they can force people to check their bags if they don't fit in that box.