Question on Backpack fit - EXO

So I got a new EXO 5500 for Christmas. I am 6'4 about 240. I have the pack adjusted the entire way up for a 21" torso length. This makes the load lifters on the frame run below my shoulders. So instead of coming down to my shoulder straps at about a 45 degree angle, they are actually lower than my shoulder straps. So I do not get much lift on at all when using them. I am new to backpacks, so is this a problem? Listening to Aron Snyder he says it is a problem. Should I try a Kifaru with a larger frame? I called EXO, they said I would not get as much lift as someone the is shorter, but it should still work. EXO has no other options on frame sizes.

Put the pack on and buckle the belt where the padding in the belt's middle, from bottom to top, covers up the crest of your hip bones. If your straps do not lay flush on your shoulders, front and back, then the torso is too long. Get the harness adjusted to where the belt latches exactly horizontal with the entire shoulder strap contacting the entire surface of the top and back of your shoulders. This puts the lumbar pad in the lumbar area of your body. Keeping it from riding too low on your spine and causing injury. If there isn't enough frame length for your height after doing this, then you had better send it back and get a taller frame fro Kifaru. No sense in not doing so as you could have bought a $50 dollar pack and got that. Instead of a $650 pack.

Do all the adjusting with load lifters loose. To ensure you have a proper fit after achieving complete shoulder and strap contact, with the belt latched horizontally encompassing your pelvic crest crest, which places the lumbar pad in your lumbar, load it up with 30-40 pounds and, engage the load lifters. Have someone put their fingers under the straps on the back of the upper delt's. With that amount of weight, it shouldn't take much load lifter engagement to be able to release the pressure from that area on your shoulders. Just snug them. If they don't relieve the pressure enough for your helper to wiggle their fingers under the shoulder straps, your frame is too short.

The thing about packs is getting the belt where it belongs. By ensuring that you make the shoulder suspension length fit with the lumbar pad where it belongs, you won't have the slippage problems people complain about. Your shoulders are going to carry some weight. There is no way around that. So, proper pack fit is simply ensuring what weight they are carrying, is distributed to the front delt's and chest where it belongs on those heavy loads. Good luck and God Bless

You are quite large for a 25" frame. You should seriously look into Seek Outside Revolution frame. 24, 26, 28" frame options that you change yourself within seconds. Besides a super COMFORTABLE pack

aion2come

WKR
I have a 21 inch torso and I ended up going with Kifaru for precisely that reason. Exo's frame is too short for those long torsos. I've always wished they would make a taller frame. My Kifaru fits great. Also, I've heard you can get Kifaru to make you a 28" frame if needed. I could be wrong on that though. 26" fit me okay.

Jbehredt

WKR
Watch the exo vid on properly fitting your pack. I’m 6’2” and run mine one “notch” from the top. I get lift with all but the heaviest loads. You may be just a wee bit long in the body for a 25” frame.

If your load lifters are below your shoulders that is a problem for sure as the weight is going to end up on your shoulders. If youre doing that might as well save a bunch of money and get a Badlands if youre going to led the weight ride on your shoulders. Sadly, you need a new pack no amount of messing with the fit is going to help IMO with that frame maxed out for you. Best of luck

Jdff1

FNG
Hey BigT, I have been looking at the exo 5500 as well. I'm 6'4" and weigh 255. I measured my torso length at REI and came out with 19.5 inches, have you had yours measured? After contacting Exo, they say the frame will be perfect for me. I'm just curious about your body build, no homo, I'm bigger on top than bottom and all packs I've had, non of this quality, are really tight on the chest and shoulders. Not trying to hijack, just trying to make up my mind between Exo and a Seek pack and your feedback could help. Either way, good luck with your fit.

OP
Bigtmiller
Jdff1,
We are about the same size, no homo. I just couldn't make the EXO work with a load on it. Not near enough lift. If they offered a larger frame it would work well. I lift a lot and have a large chest. Pack was tight in the chest too. I am going to order a Kifaru with a 26" frame.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m 6’4 and went with a 28” from kifaru and I’m glad I did, it works perfectly for me. I probably could have gotten away with a 26” since my stone glacier is 26” and works fine for me.

Jdff1

FNG
Thanks for the reply back, helped me narrow down my choices a little. Too bad because I like the exo bag.

twall13

WKR
Thanks for the reply back, helped me narrow down my choices a little. Too bad because I like the exo bag.

It's pretty easy to put an Exo bag on a Kifaru frame if that's what you really want to run. Check out this thread for step by step instructions. This is the system I've been running for the last year and a half and I've been very happy with it. I started with an Exo setup but didn't get enough lift under heavy loads. I really like their bags so it's been nice to keep the Exo bags but use them on a frame that's tall enough for me. The bags fit on the frame incredibly well, it's mostly buckles that need to be switched out to attach the bag and you can buy a Kifaru Compression strap kit to cover most of that issue.

Jdff1

FNG
Thanks for that link twall, that might be something I’ll look into. Found a guy close that has an exo pack and am going to try it out, see if it fits.