EMR2 vs. Reckoning vs. Crater

idig4au

WKR
Looking for feedback.

I do extended back country trips - 7-10 days common and I prefer a large bag in the +7000 cu inch range. I also always run a guide lid. I like to have room to spare.

Anybody go from a EMR2 pack to either the Reckoning or Crater?

I've been running the EMR2 back since it first came out. Great pack. My only dislikes are the compression straps and having to re-compress every time I have to get into the main bag or the even the back stuff pockets. The full length zipper is great. The size of the main bag is great.

The Reckoning looks great. Just concerned that the main bag is not big enough? Very much like the independent compression straps, and side pocket layout, more so than the EMR2.

Crater looks good too but I am not sold on the side zip location as that is where I strap my gun and don't want the zipper rubbing against it, nor am I sold on a single side pocket for the spotting scope. The large main bag is very appealing.

Or maybe I just stay with the EMR2 as its still a solid option...

Any thoughts?

I only have experience hunting and packing out game with two of the three bags you've mentioned, but here are my thoughts. I used the EMRII since it came out and it is great, easy to use and plenty of room. For some reason I wanted to try the Reckoning so I used that one for most of last year and I really miss the simplicity of the EMRII. Too much going on (strap city) for me on the Reckoning and the EMRII is the clear winner in my book.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
How about the fulcrum?

Beat me to it!

Yes, the Fulcrum seems to be the natural successor to the EMR2, in fact I’m pretty sure I remember in the YouTube video that Aron did on the Fulcrum that they called it the Fulcrum because they didn’t want to call it the EMR3.

If you like the EMR2 I’d say you’re likely to love the Fulcrum, same size/style, bit more refined design...

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah up above is definitely right. The Fulcrum is basically an EMR3.

I've been around the EMR2 a little big and I have the Fulcrum, I think it's really beneficial to go to the Fulcrum from the EMR2. I feel it's an upgrade. I ran the Fulcrum basically all last fall and I'm a big fan of the new wings and compression system.

If your used to the EMR size and like it I wouldn't go to the Reckoning. For the Crater I'd say if you like the strap configuration and aren't going to miss the wings, then that's a great bag. I was hesitant on the side zip as well, but after using it quite a bit I'm a fan of it for day pack mode. As far as your rifle rubbing on the zipper, I'll have to strap my rifle in there and get a feel for that to tell you better. As far as the single spotter pocket I put my 80mm swaro ATS in there with a helinox chair zero, and there's enough room for my puffy or lightweight rain jacket as well.

If you like that EMR2 bag but just want the upgrade, I'd go the Fulcrum route. If you wanted to get away from the wings and just have a big bag, then the Crater would be my suggestion.

I went from a EMR 2 to the Fulcrum. The Fulcrum is my favorite all arounder and IMO basically an improved EMR 2. Great bag .

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
I owned the Fulcrum and EMR II and the Fulcrum is the better bag for sure.