Narrowed Down to SG & Exo

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider

Ok, after packing my elk out on my backpacking pack last year and dealing with a suffer fest, I've decided that my big investment this year is a "heavy load" carrying pack. Initially I had it down to the Kifaru Reckoning, Exo 5500, and the Stone Glacier Sky 5900. I ended up trying on the Kifaru Reckoning and I really wanted to like the pack. I am 6'0", 160 pounds, and have a 19" torso length, and I'm not very wide, so the problem with Kifaru bags is they tend to stick out on the sides, and this really bugs me. I like a narrow, simple style bag. I also have a curvy back and feel the XCurve from SG would fit better, but I don't want to make assumptions.

Is there anyone that owns both of these packs with some input on fit and feel when carrying heavy loads? I also live in Gunnison Colorado so if there's anyone from this area who has either of these packs I could meet up with to try it out?

Also, if anyone else has these packs, feel free to chime in with your pros and cons.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Don't own both, but tried both prior to purchasing sg 6900 on xcurve. Both were comfortable, exo certainly not straight backed, has some curve. Sg philosophy is to try to distribute at least some of the weight to the lateral contact of the pack on your back and on top of shoulders. But just a little. And if you study their videos and practice, you can figure out really well how to get your perfect balance of weight on your hips versus back and shoulders. I've been able to get it to put most weight on hips, some on front of pecs, none really on shoulders, which is really nice for heavy packing. Can get it to pretty much all on hips, which is nice for day packing. Or well distributed with contact all around chest, shoulders, back, and hips, which I like for packing in camp. Basically can customize it to the way you want. Exo more just about transferring all weight to hips, which a lot of people really believe in. I'm sure you can do some level of load distribution customizing on the exo too, though. The biggest deciding factor for me was that the fabric surrounding the frame sheet on the Exo was not stitched in a way to prevent loosening from stretch over time. And was a little loose on the demo I tried. The way both packs are designed, the shoulder harness attaches to frame by Velcro on opposing faces. So, if the fabric around the frame is a little loose around the frame sheet, as you lean side to side (like climbing over blowdowns), the load shifts. Perhaps more annoying than anything else, but it bothered me enough that I went with sg. Another thing to keep in mind is that the "5500" only describes the volume of the main bag, so total volume, with side pouches and top flap pocket is greater. The "5900" for sg describes the total volume of all pockets, so the main bag of the 5900 sg is smaller than the main bag of exo 5500. Sg with comparably sized main bag is probably the 6200 and 6900.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
EXO mentions in their vids that they intentionally taper in towards the bottom to prevent it being too wide and allow your arms to swing naturally.

Sg is several inches narrower than exo, top to bottom. I actually had both in hand last year, tried to put the Exo bag on the sg frame, but the width difference was too much. Ultimately for me and my back I went with the sg, although I thought the bag design of the Exo was better. Both are very well made, have great return policies and excellent resale value. I recommend buying both and keeping the one you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sg is several inches narrower than exo, top to bottom. I actually had both in hand last year, tried to put the Exo bag on the sg frame, but the width difference was too much. Ultimately for me and my back I went with the sg, although I thought the bag design of the Exo was better. Both are very well made, have great return policies and excellent resale value. I recommend buying both and keeping the one you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Definitely agree on both. Load them up and get a feel. Which ever one is more comfortable you keep. Only way to truly know

S.Clancy

WKR
I went with Exo. The SG for whatever reason put a lot of pressure on my low back with over 50lbs, Exo was fine. As for fit, I went with the small waist belt and by the end of the season it's pretty much bottomed out (6'1", 185).

Clarktar

WKR
I went with Exo. The SG for whatever reason put a lot of pressure on my low back with over 50lbs, Exo was fine. As for fit, I went with the small waist belt and by the end of the season it's pretty much bottomed out (6'1", 185).
6' 1''!!! I need to use your measuring tape!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've had both. Currently run stone glacier. I like the simple lightweight pack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

i have a curved lumabr and hunch back. SG xcurve fit me best. youre on the right track finding someone close by to try on. i loaded all 3 with 90lbs and walked around. pretty much the only way to know what fits you best.

i liked the exo bag the best and it was the cheapest but felt the worst for me with a load. would slip with my curved back. i liked the sg best with a load. was also super streamlined and lightweight. i like the kifaru belt the best but the bag.suspension was the heaviest and bulkiest. all 3 have excellent customer service. i figured im paying all this money for comfort under loads so the sg won out for me.

IMG_20171220_161825806.jpg

handwerk

WKR
I've had a couple kifarus and 2 generations of exos, both very good packs but last year I switched to the SG X-Curve/5900 and for me the frame and bag design works great and it seems to carry weight better, BTW I'm 6'1 175, long torso, curved back.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks for all the replies. That's a lot of help. Seems like most of you with curved backs that tried all 3 went with the SG XCurve. We are pretty lucky this day and age to have such great hunting pack companies to choose from. I remember when external frames (Boy Scouts with pots and pans dangling everywhere) were the only good option for hauling meat.

I'm going to be in Denver tomorrow and all day Saturday if anyone wants to meet up. My friend lives over in Arvada.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the replies. That's a lot of help. Seems like most of you with curved backs that tried all 3 went with the SG XCurve. We are pretty lucky this day and age to have such great hunting pack companies to choose from. I remember when external frames (Boy Scouts with pots and pans dangling everywhere) were the only good option for hauling meat.

I'm going to be in Denver tomorrow and all day Saturday if anyone wants to meet up. My friend lives over in Arvada.

Pm sent