EXO crib on Kifaru frame question

BWG13

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of trying to piece together my pack setup and am hoping somebody could share how to attach an EXO crib to a Kifaru tactical frame. I've done some digging in the forums and have found posts where it has been done, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on what hardware might be needed or how the attachments are being made.

By looking at the components, it looks like I'll need some sort of buckle or attachment to connect the bottom crib strap to the frame attachment. The top of the crib is simple enough with the g-hook, but I can't figure out how to get the bottom strap to workout. If any of you would share how to do this, or even better share a pic or two, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

bmart2622

WKR
You shouldn't need any hardware. There is a tab loop on the frame with a tri glide on it that you thread the webbing through from the crib.

bruno59

WKR
I have the crib on my MR pintler and my kifaru its real easy all you have to do is take a ITW GTLL 100 split bar ladder lock or regular ladder lock and cut a slit in it to make it a split bar than just put it on the tab loop on frame and thread your webbing thru and you are done

Last edited:
OP
B

BWG13

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered a few open ladder locks to try out. That makes sense and should get it to work.

bmart - I see the tab loop at the bottom 1/3 of the frame, but it doesn’t have a tri-glide. It’s just a plastic loop... no middle piece to lock the strap in place.

I’ve seen other responses like this ( no hardware needed) and wonder if Kifaru changed the hardware on the frames at some point? This is my first Kifaru so I’m not sure. Thanks guys.

bmart2622

WKR
My frame is the Hunter frame and not the Tactical, wonder if that is the reason why. A split ladder lock will work and be super easy too.

mcseal2

WKR
Is there an advantage of going with the crib over using the Kifaru Grab It? I have an Exo 3500 and just got a Kifaru tactical frame with a Nomad 2 and Grab-it. I don't see a big advantage of the crib over the grab it right off. I love the Exo for most of what I do but wanted the Kifaru set-up to handle really bulky loads (meat, inflatable boat, etc) on a moose hunt.

bmart2622

WKR
Ive used both and both work well. The Crib is longer and provides more contact with the load and the upper straps of the Crib run vertically and attach at the top of the frame as opposed to the Grab It straps which run at an angle and attach using at a tab loop on the side of the frame. I like to use the tab loops on the side for horizontal compression straps or bag attachment, I would have to give one up on each side with the Grab It, maybe a guy could squeeze 2 SR buckles to 1 tab loop but not sure on that. And again I have the Hunter frame which I believe has less tab loops than the Tactical frame.

twall13

WKR
I'm not sure how well the photos show it but this is how I attached mine.
6f6fdb64826e656aefec17493185b148.jpg
71a82e0f8e905e21ec142679064ae255.jpg
dc9a21e64165411a51a1132acea8de85.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
B

BWG13

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the pics twall, never thought to connect it like that. I already have the pieces needed for that. I ordered some split ladder locks online ... I’ll try both and see which I prefer.

I already had the Crib from an Exo pack I sold so wanted to try and make it work. Used the crib on the EXO frame to haul around sand bags and liked that it makes a little “pocket” and actually cradles the load. Never used a Grab-It, but looking at pictures online it seems like it simply smashes the load to the frame as opposed to holding it up. Could be wrong on the way it works though. Also like bmart2622 says, the Crib has straps that pull up to secure the load as high as you want depending on how the straps are adjusted, instead of at an angle.

mcseal2

WKR
I see it makes more sense now.

I'm was just curious, I just bought the Kifaru pack set-up I got last week and am experimenting with it now. I put the buckles for my Grab It on the top of the frame instead of the sides because I wanted a compression strap up higher. The Grab-it seems to be working alright pulling up instead of to the sides so far but I haven't had a heavy load in it. I did tighten the draw string in the Grab-it to narrow it up a bit. Also at least on my tactical frame there is a place to attach the Grab it up higher on the frame, all the videos I saw just showed it attached down low, that setting doesn't cradle a load like the higher one. I don't see why the Crib wouldn't attach to the higher points and work well though. I just did my first hike with the Kifaru today with 25lbs of gear, I'm still getting how I want to run it dialed in and seeing how I want it adjusted. I'll start increasing the weight in the next couple weeks.

twall13

WKR
I wish I had a better photo showing the back of the Exo Crib hauling this load of elk on the Kifaru frame. I like how it wraps around and craddles the load yet still hold it high on the frame. I haven't had the chance to use a Kifaru grab it for comparison but I really like the way the Exo crib functions.
cb23e8c02316f37a87f4482bff349e31.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
B

BWG13

Lil-Rokslider
Split ladder locks arrived today and the Crib fits perfectly on the Kifaru frame. I’ll try to get pics posted, but it looks almost the same as the pics from twall13 except the buckles are secured directly to the tab loop.

I also order a set of the Kifaru compression straps and now have the pack setup pretty similar to my Exo K2 frame. Really liking this setup so far.