Am I missing something? New Kifaru frame vs old?

I could have swore they offered another frame besides duplex tactical and hunter? Reason being, I'm not seeing the huge weight savings the new Duplex lite package offers vs standard hunter frame.

I just checked the Kifaru site Duplex Lite/Ultralite Frames – Kifaru Intl. Online Store and if I'm reading this right, 26 inch hunter frame, medium belt is 3lbs, 5 oz. The same on the new lite frame is 2lbs 15 oz. That's six ounces, not even a half pound.

What am I missing? why not just order the hunter? I'm in the market for a new frame and pack, and I'm not seeing the saving for what the hunter gives a person.

TFP

FNG
How many ounces would you like it to save? It's $26 cheaper and almost a 6oz and almost a half pound lighter. The ultralite is another 3oz lighter.

Are you actually complaining that you have too many choices in quality pack frames?

LaHunter

WKR
I saw a video of Aron explaining the reasoning behind the new frames. If I recall correctly, he mentioned that the new frame design puts the HDPE sheets in front of the stays to help eliminate / minimize pressure hot spots. This seemed to be the primary driving reason behind the new design, not weight reduction. I am assuming the previous frames did not have this sheet in front of the stays and enough customers complained about hot spots / pressure spots to warrant a new frame. I don't own a Kifaru pack, but was just curious about what all the buzz was about this new frame before it was even released.

twall13

WKR
The weight savings is nice, if not as substantial as you might have hoped. One of the big advantages is the added ventilation. In hot weather this will be nice. The downside to the ventilation is there is nothing between your back and the meat you haul out but they are offering a sleeve as an add on item to solve that problem. My real question is whether the frame twists with your body any better. It's more rigid horizontally than the hunter frame but I'm waiting for some reviews to show if it twists like the Exo frame. My hunter frame is awesome but with light loads it's pretty stiff.

I don't think the new frames are for everyone, which is why the hunter and tactical frames are still available. Different folks have different wants/needs in a pack and this just helps cater to a few more of those folks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Who makes a lighter frame then their new ultra light offering? It's currently impossible to get frames any lighter then quality pack makers are putting out today. People want lighter and that's what they did. There style can't get any lighter

Kotaman

WKR
Who makes a lighter frame then their new ultra light offering? It's currently impossible to get frames any lighter then quality pack makers are putting out today. People want lighter and that's what they did. There style can't get any lighter

Stone Glacier’s newest frame is a pound lighter than the lightest Kifaru Ultra Lite. I consider that substantial. I still ordereded the new Kifaru frame, but since you asked....

OP
C
Stone Glacier’s newest frame is a pound lighter than the lightest Kifaru Ultra Lite. I consider that substantial. I still ordereded the new Kifaru frame, but since you asked....

What frame is that? I thought the Krux was their lightest @ 2lb 7 oz.

Interesting how guys get puffed up over a question. Kifaru is well known for excellent frames. My point was with that little of a weight difference, why change right away or ever for no real considerable weight loss? I could see if it was a pound. I also thought Aaron stated that the weight was with a small belt. So add a medium it goes up?

I literally didn't mean who's was lighter. I knew Stone Glaciers was. I think SO has lighter too. Or just as light. What I meant in a indirect way was that people wanted light and that's what they got. 3 ounces is a honker you hack up and spit out.

Stone glacier Kruk is 2lb 7 ounces. Kifaru's ultralight is 2 lb 10 ounces. Listed weights on their page.

The new frame is a whole lb lighter than the hunter frame. A whole lb and the ability to carry the same amount of
Weight comfortably is huge to me.

Kotaman

WKR
What frame is that? I thought the Krux was their lightest @ 2lb 7 oz.

Interesting how guys get puffed up over a question. Kifaru is well known for excellent frames. My point was with that little of a weight difference, why change right away or ever for no real considerable weight loss? I could see if it was a pound. I also thought Aaron stated that the weight was with a small belt. So add a medium it goes up?

Yes, sorry, the Krux Evo it is 5 oz. less give or take depending on sizes. I agree, to change for weight loss alone is silly, but there are other advantages for some with the new frame other than weight alone.

Deepshax

WKR
I think my 24" hunter w/ composite stays is pretty comfy. It definitely moves with me better with lighter loads than my 26" duplex w/ aluminum stays. My hunter weighs in at 50oz. I was going to buy the new frame to use for summer backpacking but 8oz isnt enough to move me...i think i can drop that weight for much cheaper elsewhere - maybe Ill pick up a windmaster and ti cup to replace my minimo :)