Zipper pulls?

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like the first thing everyone does with their packs is swap out the paracord zipper pulls for something brighter or different. What have you guys found that you like using?
Me personally, I've swapped them out for reflective red paracord. Also have used red heat shrink material similar to what GoRuck packs have.

Dusty2426

WKR
Seems like the first thing everyone does with their packs is swap out the paracord zipper pulls for something brighter or different. What have you guys found that you like using?
Me personally, I've swapped them out for reflective red paracord. Also have used red heat shrink material similar to what GoRuck packs have.

Blaze orange paracord

I’m not to the point of doing this myself but a lot of my gear already has corded pulls. I thought about putting some 1.5mm reflective orange cord that I have laying on one of my packs; but I got worried about what that’d look like to game. Since we know that UV brightness in laundry soap and on many clothing products literally ‘glow’ to game animals (particularly ungulates) I’m thinking that the reflective material would be like a beacon in the woods. Just a thought. I may do it some time but I’ll stay away from reflective cordage, myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not to the point of doing this myself but a lot of my gear already has corded pulls. I thought about putting some 1.5mm reflective orange cord that I have laying on one of my packs; but I got worried about what that’d look like to game. Since we know that UV brightness in laundry soap and on many clothing products literally ‘glow’ to game animals (particularly ungulates) I’m thinking that the reflective material would be like a beacon in the woods. Just a thought. I may do it some time but I’ll stay away from reflective cordage, myself.

I’ve started using UV brightner in my detergent and I no longer attempt to stay downwind of animals.

I’ve found that the uv brightness and casual upwind appproach keeps animals in there comfort zone as they don’t think you are a hunter. Kuiu and kryptek both spook anmails real bad as they think they’re about to be chased away by a barrage of arrows

I’ve started using UV brightner in my detergent and I no longer attempt to stay downwind of animals.

I’ve found that the uv brightness and casual upwind appproach keeps animals in there comfort zone as they don’t think you are a hunter. Kuiu and kryptek both spook anmails real bad as they think they’re about to be chased away by a barrage of arrows

What now ???

What now ???

BGH is worried that using reflective cord on his zipper pulls might spook animals, i was merely pointing out that they might help. Especially early season when backpacking and archery overlap. You want the animals thinking you just another backpacker during the early season.

Trial153

WKR
I just use para cord, I have box full of different colors. I use a contrasting color so I am not fumbling looking for it. I also cut all the metal zipper pulls off if there are any.

I just use para cord, I have box full of different colors. I use a contrasting color so I am not fumbling looking for it. I also cut all the metal zipper pulls off if there are any.

Same here, I cut the metal pull off with pliers and then tie on a paracord pull with a bear bell in the end which doubles as a handle

Hey, to each their own. If it works for you, have at it. But my experience, and that of a whole lot of other hunters, is quite different than yours. Just so I have this right....you’re saying you’re trying (by using uv-brightners) to look like a non-hunting backpacker so that game doesn’t think you’re a bowhunter? Also, you use the wind to intentionally allow game to catch your scent?

BGH is worried that using reflective cord on his zipper pulls might spook animals, i was merely pointing out that they might help. Especially early season when backpacking and archery overlap. You want the animals thinking you just another backpacker during the early season.

Hmmm
I try not to be seen, heard or smelled...
Unless I am bugling...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hmmm
I try not to be seen, heard or smelled...

That was great 5 years ago. The mountain/woods have grown so crowded now though that your Better hiding in plain sight than acting like a predator.

No. I’m just kidding. I was just totally surprised to find out that “the first thing” “most guys” are doin with there packs is switching zipper pulls out for something more visible but not quite so visible as to spook game.

It’s a fine line to walk for sure. And I’m not actually poking any fun.

I obsess about a lot of idiosyncratic stuff as well that is important in making me effective if only because of the mindset it puts me in. Mainly I obsess about the direction the wind is blowing as it seems to be the determining factor in whether or not I close the deal. Upwind- no dice. Downwind- Long as I’m not doing jumping jacks it’s hard to go wrong.

Last edited:

moeleo

WKR
I swap my pulls out with a dull color reflective. I currently have an od green reflective 1.8mm I believe is the thickness. Not worried about finding in the light just want the reflection for finding my pack at night.

Trial153

WKR
nothing special
fb6b06bcfbe17b5c588d9a8ad3475604.jpg
28a73fb9785f1b2f9cecbad6023a00d7.jpg
33717ac234a2ba9202f5f68b4b86ea59.jpg
7bda912d3af43224dc8edc7b16417fb8.jpg

No. I’m just kidding. I was just totally surprised to find out that “the first thing” “most guys” are doin with there packs is switching zipper pulls out for something more visible but not quite so visible as to spook game.

It’s a fine line to walk for sure. And I’m not actually poking any fun.

I obsess about a lot of idiosyncratic stuff as well that is important in making me effective if only because of the mindset it puts me in. Mainly I obsess about the direction the wind is blowing as it seems to be the determining factor in whether or not I close the deal. Upwind- no dice. Downwind- Long as I’m not doing jumping jacks it’s hard to go wrong.
Yea I wasnt going to reply any more
Cause I decided you were nuts and I didn't want to argue with a crazy person

I heard a comment on a podcast suggesting what you were joking about

Its pretty ridiculous.
Lol

Humans strike fear in all animals when the hunt season starts and they get shot at

Once their velvet starts to fall, something in them says, hide more

I have had a couple animals watch me pass by, and as long as I was in the truck they didn't seem as nervous

But if I stop they tend to Get anxious

But I'm not gonna hunt from my truck
Lol

92xj

WKR
If you're worried about your zipper pulls scaring off game, don't walk backwards.

Owenst7

WKR
I really like the zipper pulls that Osprey uses. They can easily be operated with one gloved finger. I found them in the ITW catalog.

Yea I wasnt going to reply any more
Cause I decided you were nuts and I didn't want to argue with a crazy person

I heard a comment on a podcast suggesting what you were joking about

Its pretty ridiculous.
Lol

Humans strike fear in all animals when the hunt season starts and they get shot at

Once their velvet starts to fall, something in them says, hide more

I have had a couple animals watch me pass by, and as long as I was in the truck they didn't seem as nervous

But if I stop they tend to Get anxious

But I'm not gonna hunt from my truck
Lol

You thought right about the crazy, but not so much that I’m going to hunt bad. I do that right - enough anyway. It’s the people stuff Im shaky on.

Also-
I’ve seen the same thing about the truck. I use the back packer routine to trickem early season/ but the trucker bit kills em late season. So it just depends when/ where your hunting.

Last edited:
No. I was kiddding again on that second part. But I’ve seen the yahoos and chompers full the freezer every year that way so you know it works

Yep lots of road hunters
Some are in it just for the kill