New Kifaru frame

So how many of you guys have the new frame on order? Has anyone actually put their hands on the new one or tried it? Thanks, rob

Last edited:

marktole

WKR
I ordered one of the new 24" Lite (1/8") frames. I had a duplex hunter in a 26" that I sold. I decided to try it because I like the lighter weight and horizontal rigidity. One of my complaints with the duplex hunter was that it would barrel if you put meat onto the frame and strapped it down tight. Figured I would give the 24" a go because I like to ride the frame pretty high to get the lumbar pad up above my belt and my 26" used to stick over my head when I did that. Seemed like a little over kill. Not to mention I needed a new belt for my duplex hunter, so it was either spend $95 with shipping for a new belt and maybe sell my old one for $60, a loss of $35. OR....sell my whole frame for $300 and buy the new one at $350..a loss of $50..$15 more than my other option. For the difference of $15 I figured it was worth it.

OP
Timberghost
I still haven’t sold my hunter duplex but yes i found it does barrel when I strap my sand bag in for training.
Hoping this new one is titties.

OP
Timberghost
It where the frame sheet flexes horizontally as you tighten around the load.

Means the load pulls the frame around it instead of the frame pulling the load to it's shape. It can be an issue when the load is very dense or hard. However, if you are using a grab it or, meat shelf to hold the majority of the weight of a meat bag load, then it doesn't really happen. The compression will then just hold it tight laterally instead of trying to hold the full weight of the load.

mvmnts

WKR
The new frame looks real nice, but their bags are still too heavy. I'm happy with my Sky 5900 + XCurve, but I don't think it would take much to shave a pound or more over that setup and draw me back over to Kifaru. I'd like to get a serious pack/frame combo under 4lbs. Still waiting for one of the big boys in the frame market to step up and make a serious minimalist bag to go with their frames. I don't need 20 zippers, pockets, lids and accessories. I've been backpacking out of a simple 60L tube pack with a drawstring or rolltop closure and two water bottle pockets for years. The new ultralight frame + woodsman pack is close, but with this new frame coming out, I'm wondering if Kifaru is going to get serious about the ultralight market and come out with a lighter bag to match. Going to sit tight and see what comes, but if they're sticking with Cordura 500 on everything, that may be a pipe dream.

KurtR

WKR
Did you see the new xpac bags i am not a supper light weight ounce counter but they seem like they would fit that bill.

Lawnboi

WKR
The new frame looks real nice, but their bags are still too heavy. I'm happy with my Sky 5900 + XCurve, but I don't think it would take much to shave a pound or more over that setup and draw me back over to Kifaru. I'd like to get a serious pack/frame combo under 4lbs. Still waiting for one of the big boys in the frame market to step up and make a serious minimalist bag to go with their frames. I don't need 20 zippers, pockets, lids and accessories. I've been backpacking out of a simple 60L tube pack with a drawstring or rolltop closure and two water bottle pockets for years. The new ultralight frame + woodsman pack is close, but with this new frame coming out, I'm wondering if Kifaru is going to get serious about the ultralight market and come out with a lighter bag to match. Going to sit tight and see what comes, but if they're sticking with Cordura 500 on everything, that may be a pipe dream.

Kifaru has made minimalist bags in the past. I run a highcamp still and should have gotten an argali, those bags are both at the 2lb mark. With the bikini frame the setup was very light, around the 4lb range. They cater to their customer base, keep asking and there's a good chance you will see another minimalist bag in the future.

As for the muskeg series, Still a lot going on, and definetly not that light. Although I have no need for x pac, atleast I don't think i do.

I'm going to keep running my highcamp and hunter frame for times when weight really matters.

I won't be biting on the new frame quite yet, having used the bikini I'm not sure I want the bag against my back quite yet again.

Last edited:

The pack you’re describing has been done... Stone glacier EVO frame and the EVO solo or EVO 40/56 bag.

bmart2622

WKR
Outside of meeting weight requirements for fly in hunts, 1lb is not eniugh for me to switch or worry about. There are plenty of ways I could shave a pound and ultimately I have never done a trip or pack out where I thought " If only my pack were 1 lb lighter ". Now if I didn't already have a Duplex frame than it might be a different story and worth a harder look.

slim9300

WKR

You should buy a KU5200 if you can find one. 2 lbs. 14 ounces.

It’s lighter than what you are asking for and carries just as well as my Bikini frame. The woman uses it during the summer on our backpacking trips. Wish I had the smaller model also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
I still think the the argali is my favorite bag that they have ever made. I added a spotter pocket to the front, and put two k-clip compression straps around that spotter pocket to keep it tight. Very good setup for me, and light weight.

Jeffh0214

FNG

When looking just at frame weight, Kifaru doesn't include compression straps, load shelf, and buckles like SG does. I was kind of bummed that their new small 24" UL frame was still heavier than the medium SG Evo that included all these and had a fully covered back that won't allow blood to get on the users back while hauling meat. However, it sounds like they're making steps towards lightening things though for ounce counters like myself. SG and SO still appeal more to me at this point. YMMV...

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
The EVO frame is also a perfectly flat, non-curved stay frame that SG themselves say they would not recommend for heavy-duty, high volume meat-packing use. I'm sure you could, but Kifaru's new frame and the EVO is not exactly apples to apples...

Lawnboi

WKR
When looking just at frame weight, Kifaru doesn't include compression straps, load shelf, and buckles like SG does. I was kind of bummed that their new small 24" UL frame was still heavier than the medium SG Evo that included all these and had a fully covered back that won't allow blood to get on the users back while hauling meat. However, it sounds like they're making steps towards lightening things though for ounce counters like myself. SG and SO still appeal more to me at this point. YMMV...

Put arrow stays in the kifaru to even the odds of both being flat frames, I'd bet the kifaru comes out pretty light with arrows.

Lawnboi

WKR
You should buy a KU5200 if you can find one. 2 lbs. 14 ounces.

It’s lighter than what you are asking for and carries just as well as my Bikini frame. The woman uses it during the summer on our backpacking trips. Wish I had the smaller model also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot about the KU, I wonder what an internal frame KU clone made of xpac would weigh.

AKironhead

Lil-Rokslider
I've got one on preorder as well as a muskeg bag. I love testing packs and frames and I'm really looking forward to this one.