New Kifaru frame

slim9300

WKR
For the record I have the Light and UL frames along with all three bags on order. Looking forward to giving them a try. I wasn’t sure what size bag I wanted so I figured I would play with them all. Same goes for the frame sheet. I want to see if there is any difference. I really want a sub 5 pound 7000k pack. We will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD619er

WKR
From the numbers it seems it's impossible to get that combo under 5 lbs? The lightest on the frame is 2 pound 10 oz and the 7000 cu in bag weighs in around 2 pounds 11 oz. putting you at 5lb 5oz before adding any pouches to the pack or belt

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
For the record I have the Light and UL frames along with all three bags on order. Looking forward to giving them a try. I wasn’t sure what size bag I wanted so I figured I would play with them all. Same goes for the frame sheet. I want to see if there is any difference. I really want a sub 5 pound 7000k pack. We will see how it goes.

https://seekoutside.com/broadwing-7000/

I have been kicking around this idea as well and this is the only one that I can find. I have zero experience with their packs, but users typically rave about them. It has all the options included in the overall weight (meat shelf, compression straps, etc...) with the exception of their frame extensions. Seems to check all of the boxes?

You could also go with this option if you like the bag layout better...

https://seekoutside.com/revolution-fortress-6300/

Add the lid to get you to 6800 ci. With the frame extensions, the lid, and a side zipper (which they will add I believe) you'd likely be under 5lbs.

Food for thought.

I will end up with either a Kifaru Muskeg system (light frame + 7000 bag) or the SO Revolution Fortress 6300 with the above mentioned options.

slim9300

WKR
From the numbers it seems it's impossible to get that combo under 5 lbs? The lightest on the frame is 2 pound 10 oz and the 7000 cu in bag weighs in around 2 pounds 11 oz. putting you at 5lb 5oz before adding any pouches to the pack or belt

That’s with a medium belt and I’m an XS. A lid may also not be necessary depending on the hunt/trip. I also have the ability to trim if needed.

Also my Lost Parka recently came in 1.5 ounces under listed weight. Maybe Kifaru is being more conservative.

slim9300

WKR
https://seekoutside.com/broadwing-7000/

I have been kicking around this idea as well and this is the only one that I can find. I have zero experience with their packs, but users typically rave about them. It has all the options included in the overall weight (meat shelf, compression straps, etc...) with the exception of their frame extensions. Seems to check all of the boxes?

You could also go with this option if you like the bag layout better...

https://seekoutside.com/revolution-fortress-6300/

Add the lid to get you to 6800 ci. With the frame extensions, the lid, and a side zipper (which they will add I believe) you'd likely be under 5lbs.

Food for thought.

I will end up with either a Kifaru Muskeg system (light frame + 7000 bag) or the SO Revolution Fortress 6300 with the above mentioned options.

Here’s the problem. I carry very heavy loads. 120-130 is pretty typical when taking out a boned out elk from deep in the backcountry. But when the pack out distance is shorter in Western WA (3 mikes or less and normally on decommissioned logging roads), I have taken up to about 200 pounds. I have done this with my original internal-framed T1, Bikini frame and Hunting Duplex over the last 9 years. I was almost ready to try an X-Curve but then Kifaru released this frame. Not many frames will handle the loads I throw at it with even close to the same comfort. It’s possible the X-Curve does but who knows and it’s not lighter...

Last edited:

Bm22

FNG
I purchased on of these. I know they haven’t released the ship date but does anyone have any idea? I guess I should have asked. They aren’t planning to ship them in like August right?

I hope it is late April or Mayish.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s the problem. I carry very heavy loads. 120-130 is pretty typical when taking out a boned out elk from deep in the backcountry. But when the pack out distance is shorter in Western WA (3 mikes or less and normally on decommissioned logging roads), I have taken up to about 200 pounds. I have done this with my original internal-framed T1, Bikini frame and Hunting Duplex over the last 9 years. I was almost ready to try an X-Curve but then Kifaru released this frame. Not many frames will handle the loads I throw at it with even close to the same comfort. It’s possible the X-Curve does but who knows and it’s not lighter...

Well then it looks like you already have the frame that is best suited for your needs. Your regular load in and load out is near the top of what most frames are built to carry. Sounds like a Kifaru Tactical frame is your best bet, but you already have a Hunter Duplex.

You desire a sub 5lb system to carry those loads... You’re looking for a unicorn

slim9300

WKR
Well then it looks like you already have the frame that is best suited for your needs. Your regular load in and load out is near the top of what most frames are built to carry. Sounds like a Kifaru Tactical frame is your best bet, but you already have a Hunter Duplex.

You desire a sub 5lb system to carry those loads... You’re looking for a unicorn

My 26” Bikini with XS belt and trimmed T1 were just over 5.4 pounds if I recall correctly with the standard lid. You never know! I will tell you that I will be close to 5 pounds with this setup, and if it carries like my Hunting Duplex, it will be a big winner.

Last edited:

MIKEYB

WKR
My current set up:

Argali 7K @ 1LB 14.4OZ

24" Tac Frame carbon stays 3 LBS 8 ozs

5 LBS 6.4 ozs for 7000CU per the website I have not weighed it.

with an ultralight 24" frame that would put me @ a total of 4 LBS 8.4 OZS

But now the Argali is not available anymore and the 7k muskeg is almost a pound heavier, with leaves a gap in the line up for a simplistic light weight bag.

I wonder what they have in the works?

I am really happy with my Argali so far, but have only had it since December.

slim9300

WKR
My current set up:

Argali 7K @ 1LB 14.4OZ

But now the Argali is not available anymore and the 7k muskeg is almost a pound heavier, with leaves a gap in the line up for a simplistic light weight bag.

In my mind the new 7k Meskeg bag is much more functional at 43.2 ounces and doesn’t require pockets or additional items for use. The Argali is super bare bones. I could pretty much use a large stuff sack with three compression straps and have the same functionality. Do you really run yours without a single add-on or pocket?

What do you hunt and what weapon do you use?

Last edited:

MIKEYB

WKR
Was putting the weight info out there as I have seen it mentioned a few times. If someone wanted to truly get a Kifaru set up down in weight its possible, not without some trade offs of the pockets and functionality.

I don't disagree with you on the functionality of the muskeg bag. A couple of things I like about them over the Argali is the zippered access, top handle, lower sleeves. and the 3/4" compression straps across the map sleeve. I do like the 2 tone and the addition of the xpac. I personally think they look sharp.

The Argali I have seems to be updated from the original as it has the lower handle, the pocket matrix on the lid portion and spotter pocket matrix on the sides.

So far only ran it on day outings, so not bare as I like some organization. I like belt pouches up the back and on the lid matrix, I had the spotter pocket on the left side with spotter and tripod(but could do without the pocket). gun bearer with rifle on the right. On the belt I run medium and the other side is nalgene and mini pocket. Far from bare LOL! I like the thought of having the ability to go bare if I needed too, which is unlikely but might have to try it on a scouting trip or two.

Last year I only hunted deer in Wyoming(base camp/Rifle) and Elk/Archery/Wilderness/NM, some other than noteworthy outings. I have done 2 wilderness trips out of a rambler and last year told myself thats it! I needed a bigger bag.

Plus I tend to be a big frugal, Argali was in the Rhino den. looking at trying to surprise the wife with a UL frame and a muskeg, then I can " borrow" it.

The 3 ounces that every SG fanboy knocks Kifaru for, can be made up by switching your boot laces to a 1/16 dynemia rope versus the standard stock laces. Or, you could switch to polyester underwear instead of the merino or cotton boxers. Switch to a brief over a boxer/brief and you can make up more. Or, you could blow your nose one more time everyday. Or, you could.....

Seriously, I'm not being mean. I'm not knocking preferences. I'm just saying that some of the replies on this thread are getting pretty hard to understand. You've got people comparing apples to oranges because they prefer a certain brand. You've even got people who talk about Kifaru getting serious about making a light pack. They've made the lightest hunting duty pack in the world. In the ounce game they compare and base their statements on, Kifaru is literally in another universe ahead of every other pack maker in that department. Yet, they need to get serious about making a light pack. SMH.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have a modified Argali sitting at 1 lb 5 oz that is modified to fit stone glacier frames. Last year on my xcurve frame it worked very well and packed some serious loads (for me - 110 lbs plus) that set up is under 5 lbs easy.

This year I'm going to try it on an Evo frame. Under 4 lbs.

Lawnboi

WKR
My current set up:

Argali 7K @ 1LB 14.4OZ

Slap on a organizer lid, spotter pocket or belt pouches as needed and you have a very versatile pack around 5 lbs. That's how I run my highcamp, but mines a 4800.

slim9300

WKR
The 3 ounces that every SG fanboy knocks Kifaru for, can be made up by switching your boot laces to a 1/16 dynemia rope versus the standard stock laces. Or, you could switch to polyester underwear instead of the merino or cotton boxers. Switch to a brief over a boxer/brief and you can make up more. Or, you could blow your nose one more time everyday. Or, you could.....

Seriously, I'm not being mean. I'm not knocking preferences. I'm just saying that some of the replies on this thread are getting pretty hard to understand. You've got people comparing apples to oranges because they prefer a certain brand. You've even got people who talk about Kifaru getting serious about making a light pack. They've made the lightest hunting duty pack in the world. In the ounce game they compare and base their statements on, Kifaru is literally in another universe ahead of every other pack maker in that department. Yet, they need to get serious about making a light pack. SMH.

Whatever makes you happy but the average setup Kifaru that I see is far more than 3 ounces. Most guys have their pack weighing in around 6.5-8 pounds with lid, pockets, water bottle holder, etc. This is coming from a Kifaru fanboy for the record. UL is a thing even in ‘hunting duty’ packs. It may not be your thing. SG really is the closest competition in my opinion for comparable weight hauling and function with the X-Curve and one of their lighter (albeit simpler and less heavy duty) bags. I see Kifaru closing this gap with their new offerings. Hence why I bought them to try.

You make alot of good points, that translate to all gear and not just packs. Sometimes I find myself getting caught up in the "chasing the dragon" mentality and need to snap myself out of it. All things being equal (though it usually isn't) lightweight is *better* but at a point it can get ridiculous. I think it is far more important to focus on what is right for the person in terms of their personal preferences in organizing their gear. I like to focus on simplicity, and honestly even 1 lb can be hard to notice. Of course a 9 pound vs 5 pound pack can make a difference, but when we start to split hairs it can get ridiculous. Some people love a tactical frame with a 1000d cordura 7000 cuin pack, some dont. Lots of great options from all the manufacturers.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I know I've never had even 3-8 extra ounces around my belly button I could get rid of...just buy some lighter gear.;)

But that takes more effort than standing up and pulling your wallet out of your back pocket...