Pack system for 3-7 day backcountry hunts, and configurable for whitetail day hunts

schmidty3

FNG
So I'm a flatlander that done messed up and got myself drawn for an Arizona elk hunt this fall. (First western hunt I've ever applied for!!!:cool:)

Long story short I need a pack.

The hunting pressure isn't very high in this area (5 tags total). So I'm thinking of doing a hybrid hunt consisting of truck camping and 1-3 day forays into the area. I probably wont need a huge pack for that. But for future capability I'd like to be able to use the same pack for week long backcountry trips (elk, mule deer etc).

With all that being said the most use this pack will get is as a treestand/treesaddle/gear hauler for whitetail day hunts on public land in Oklahoma. Currently i'm using a milsurp plastic molle frame and associated belt/straps. I've come up with a pretty clever system for attaching the stand to it using camjam XT's and climbing rope. The carrying comfort is pretty low however.

So I would like to be able to have a configurable system that I can use for my whitetail needs and for my backcountry needs.

Other than the milsurp frame. I have very little experience with packs. I do have a Gregory baltoro 65, but have never used it as intended. The only time i've used it in anger was on public land duck hunts. I shoved about 10 dekes in there and hiked in. And I may just use it turkey hunting this spring, a hen and jake will likely fit right in there. For the elk hunt the baltoro could likely be forced into service, but I spend enough time in the deer woods and want to do more western hunts, so a better system is justifiable.

I haven't completed a ton of research yet. It looks like stone glacier, mystery ranch, EXO, and Kifaru are worth a look. I've spent the most time looking at kifaru. I do kind of lean towards the buy once cry once philosophy. There are other hunt budget concerns. But i don't want to skimp on the pack.

So critique my plan....

Get one of the new kifaru frames. Get a Kifaru pack (fulcrum, reckoning or whatever). Get the new XPAC organizer guide lid.

For the elk hunt id just run the kifaru pack and frame.

For whitetail, Run the Kifaru frame, adapt my current stand hauling system to the tab loops (should be easy), omit the pack, but add on the guide lid for my day gear. Strap on my stand and sticks to the frame, then tighten down the guide lid over everything. I'll need to think about the meat hauling a bit more. Hauling a stand and a quartered buck may be worthy of two trips, but it would be nice to do it in one.

I think that would work well for me. I briefly looked at the cargo panel and cargo net, but my current system is likely better for my needs (I believe my system would be quicker, quieter and lighter). However, the cargo panel would add some connection points for pockets etc.

However, i'm open to other suggestions. Is there a good alternative system out there that would cover my needs? I've seen that some people just put the stand between their pack and frame on the meat shelf. Honestly that seems cumbersome, but i've never tried it.

I need to do some other research, but feel free to chime in on other brand suggestions or kifaru pack models for the backcountry as well :eek:

Timplant

Lil-Rokslider
Other than getting by with the woodsman bag (much smaller I’m good for 7 days) I do however clip my stand into the outside of the bag (lone wolf climber) and have the bag for hauling meat when necessary, clothes and gear goes in bag until
Needed then when meat is involved I just stuff all Of my gear wherever I can, clip my stand on, and off I go! You could
Absolutely make a kifaru system work!

Lawnboi

WKR
While not ideal, their big bags will do it all. You can slap a stand on their frame easy.

It comes down to how much you carry whitetail hunting. I'd suck down a fulcrum for whitetail hunting without question, just use the wings. That said I also pack some heavy clothing and occasionally use a bigger bag. A lid might provide the space you need, but at depends. My whitetail pack is a 14r but I have used a frame and 4800 cu bag as well.

Obviously you will need a big bag for 7 days, that will require a big pack.

Imo you can do a lot with a frame, one big bag, a lid and a grab it, along with a couple lash straps. This is where kifaru shines, points everywhere for straps, add the grab it and you can easily accommodate those weird loads, that when you have when something's on the ground, light is fading and you just say screw it and load it all up.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
So currently when I'm doing a all day hang and hunt I'll carry the stand as mentioned before. But I'll also attach my small osprey day pack. That holds all of my gear. It would be nice to replace the pack with something. I was thinking the guide lid. But maybe it's something else.

Usually I'll have a poop kit (important stuff first), kill kit, first aid kit, food, 3 or 4 bottles of water, gloves, beanie, extra screw in steps/gear hooks, flashlight and headlamp, and I'll usually stuff either a frog togg rain jacket, or a leafy jacket in there. Then I'll strap whatever heavy outer layers to the outside. Pretty maxed at that point. I'm starting to doubt that the guide lid could carry all that. But I've never played with one.

Beendare

WKR
Archery elk...or rifle?

I think it depends on whether you want an elk pack that you can carry boned out meat in..or quarters. If you don't need that then your little day pack is fine.

Thats not a bad way to pack stands in the whitetail woods....straps on the stand....and then a day pack on top.

OP
S

schmidty3

FNG
This hunt is a rifle. But I expect more archery opportunities in the future.

I most likely will pack boned meat. But having the capability to do quarters would be nice.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the kifaru fulcrum and a stone glacier solo. The fulcrum is an awesome pack, you’d have no trouble cinching it down for day use, no problem at all. My feelings are pretty neutral between the frames I don’t really love one more than the other between kifaru and stone glacier, they. Other fit me well.

The pros of the kifaru are that you really have a ton of options for customization with the fulcrum, 2-3-4 pockets if you want, pistol on my hip belt, native lid for when I really want to haul some gear around and still have a small day pack.

The big thing I like about my SG is the meat sling feature that lets you haul awkward or large pieces of animals out without having to put it inside the pack, this isn’t really a “game changer” for me but it is something where I could actually see myself buying larger stone glacier pack like the sky talus or the guide and moving on from the fulcrum. The biggest benefit I see to the fulcrum is the center zip and the ability to compress it down and just use the wings, the larger SG bags compress down very well and have center zips.

We’ll see, I’ll get more of a chance to really put these 2 packs head to head this summer, I’ve also thought about ditching my current kifaru set up and putting together one of their lightweight rigs but I’m waiting to see some reviews.

I have been very impressed with both my kifaru and my stone glacier.

Until the bigger pack company's realize that cordura isn't the answer for whitetail/stand hunting in general, there is only one solid option and that is Bison Gear packs. They are dead silent, which in my opinion is more important than load hauling ability.

You live in TX, just drive your ATV up to the deer and load er out :)

After a guy adds his tent sleeping bag, gear, and enough food for 7 days you will realize that most bags are too small. It takes a pretty big bag to last that long especially is you are facing potential nasty weather.

The real problem is comfort and empty pack weight.

The pack I used in 2016 was about 8 pound empty. Thats just too much initial weight.

Until the bigger pack company's realize that cordura isn't the answer for whitetail/stand hunting in general, there is only one solid option and that is Bison Gear packs. They are dead silent, which in my opinion is more important than load hauling ability.

You live in TX, just drive your ATV up to the deer and load er out :)

Being in NY, whitetails are really the only big game we have besides bear. I have NEVER had an issue with pack noise and I ONLY hunt with a bow! Now being winded?? That's a whole nother ballgame!