Help me decide...

So this fall I'll be going on my first elk hunt. We're gonna hunt from a base camp, and I was thinking of just using my normal hunting backpack with all my gear in it while hunting. But, buying a separate freight hauler type pack frame and leaving it at camp. Then if/when I need it, going back to camp and getting it to start packing meat out. Mainly because I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I may only use every couple years and some of the packs everybody recommends are kinda pricey. Is this a good idea, or should I just suck it up and buy a good pack with a frame that can do it all and save myself that hike back to get a pack frame to haul meat out? I can afford a new pack, but don't want to spend the cash if I don't really need to.

Zbot

WKR
It sounds good in theory until you have an elk down and you have to hike 2 miles back to camp...then two miles back to the elk to just BEGIN packing out.

Spend the money and have a good trip. For a low price range pack, I'd look at the Horn Hunter Full Curl frame with day pack. I've hauled out elk, deer, and sheep with it and had great results. Won't be that much more than buying a freight pack and you will be able to packout on the spot. I've also hauled treestands and blinds with it, so you can use it whitetail hunting as well. The meat shelf is pretty hardy, so I wouldn't see a problem strapping a sack or two of corn if you use it down there and need to haul it.

Good luck!

OP
S
Good thought about the corn!! I do deer hunt in some hard to get to places so that's a plus for sure.

They are a big investment. But once you use a high quality pack. You will wonder how you lived without it! I use mine hunting, hiking, camping, treestand and ground blind setups. Buy once Cry once.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I have done exactly what you are describing for my whole hunting life. I'm really tired of doing it that way. I am about halfway saved up to buy a SG pack so I can change that. Shooting an elk or deer 2+ miles from camp....then having to go back to camp to get the frame packs and head back in just to start the first load sucks. I've done it way too many times. With a new pack I'll at least be able to take out a decent load of meat on the first trip.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So this fall I'll be going on my first elk hunt. We're gonna hunt from a base camp, and I was thinking of just using my normal hunting backpack with all my gear in it while hunting. But, buying a separate freight hauler type pack frame and leaving it at camp. Then if/when I need it, going back to camp and getting it to start packing meat out. Mainly because I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I may only use every couple years and some of the packs everybody recommends are kinda pricey. Is this a good idea, or should I just suck it up and buy a good pack with a frame that can do it all and save myself that hike back to get a pack frame to haul meat out? I can afford a new pack, but don't want to spend the cash if I don't really need to.

You know I had the same thought in my mind years ago and 1 thing I always stressed about was how the hell was my cheap bag going to help me pack out meat!!! So I finally pulled the trigger on a good frame pack and I will never regret it. I love my pack I use it camping, hunting, training, hiking and much much more. My wife uses my pack as well and she is only 5' 6'' and 120lbs and can carry a good size load and be comfortable doing it. The pack I use is from Stone Glacier and its the Sky Archer 6200. they are extremely lightweight and adjustable. they have many sizes from a 1700 to a 7900 all bags are interchangeable to the frames and very adjustable. I have tried out many bags and these bags are just incredible.

I did that for a few years and it worked great. I did not want to invest the big money until I was sure that I wanted to keep elk hunting. I think that is a good idea for a new elk hunter. I would bring out the backstraps in by backpack and bring my Alps Freighter pack frame back for the heavier loads. The backstraps are a heavy load in a regular backpack and will test a cheaper pack.

I did this. It was cool until I put a big cow down and had to hike 4 miles out and back to camp by the gravel road. When you go with a bunch of guys and only one vehicle, that's a real possibility when everyone is spread out hunting. The truck was 4 four miles farther then me from camp so it wasn't an option. It was hot. I had to field dress her and drag her about 150 yards into a draw to ensure it stayed in the shade while I was gone. Then I had to hump it back to camp and get a frame and, hump it back. Got back to the elk about 10:45 AM, broke her down and started packing her to the road. I was tired that night.

So, my advice is since you can afford it, get a good pack first. If it is possible, buy the best pack you can afford and, don't do like 99.9% of us her has done and frugal your way into a pack if you don't have too. Skimp on clothes cost first. You can get identical material and cut clothes as sitka, kuiu, and first lite for a fraction of their listed prices. Shop smart and save your money there so you can buy a good pack.

Good luck man. Hunt hard and, God Bless

Owenst7

WKR
My Osprey was only like $180 on sale and handled a couple 8 mile packouts just fine. I put money into a sleeping bag instead.

I agree with the buy once-cry once philosophy. I'm one of probably many who has gone through a raft of packs and spent several thousand $$ in cash and misery trying to avoid forking over a few hundred to Kifaru or SG or Exo or ... for a premium pack. For hauling your daily hunting gear there are lots of packs that will work just fine and you'll be comfortable. For hauling an elk or a deer out of the mountains and keeping you comfortable and healthy, the number of packs that will do that consistently is significantly smaller. As others have mentioned, once you get a premium system dialed for you, you'll use it for everything whether you're in the mountains or not.

My suggestion would be to watch the classifieds. Kifaru just released a new frame so there will be a bunch of folks swapping out the old for the new and the used market responds accordingly. There have been a ton of frames hitting the classifieds over the last couple weeks (I actually picked up a 2nd Kifaru at a pretty reasonable price).

Also I see that you're in TX...I'm in Austin so if you ever want to meet up and touch and feel what you're paying for, we can go through the fitment process for Kifaru with my gear if you'd like. I sold my other brands but I can share my experience with Kuiu and Exo as well. I've got a couple Kifaru frames and multiple bags in varying sizes and layouts that you can play with to get a much better idea of what works for you.

OP
S
Awesome!! Thanks!! I’m a few hours away but if I get out your way anytime soon I may take you up on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
You do not have to buy top of the line. You can buy a decent pack that can haul a load then just hunt with that pack on. I believe you said you would be buying a freighter pack anyways so just buy a pack that can can haul meat and be used as a day pack.

If you want to spend more then go for it but you don't have to.

I run the woodsman as one of my packs and love it. I've got a spotter pocket down one side and two large pockets on the other and just run a dock and lock long pocket on top instead of a lid. In this configuration it's a 3-4 day pack for me. Fantastic as a kitchen sink type day pack as well.

Getnlost

FNG
I would look at something like this.
ALPS OutdoorZ Commander + Pack Bag its 130 on amazon, it will hold all of your gear, it will also pack some meat. It is probably not the most comfortable pack. It may not hold up like some of the others, but, it would serve it purpose for what you need.

OP
S
I think I've decided. Looking at a ton of packs and researching a lot, I am just about settled I think on the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28. Hunting from a base camp it should be fine for me as a day pack, and to haul meat out too.