Help Choosing a backpack: Kifaru, SG, Mystery

Kipper, that bag looks awesome!

Lots of good advice here. Of the three you listed I've only had a kifaru. Seek outside and exo worked better for me so I'd probably pick SG or MR but I don't think you can go wrong.

JD619er

WKR
Really? Kifaru hunter frame with aluminum stays is $335. A 6500 Ci reckoning is $284. that equals $619. Same frame with a 7000 CI Argali bag that costs $214 equals $549. That's cheaper then a comparable Mystery Ranch

A 6700 CI Marshall on Black Ovis is $595.

That's a $24 difference in favor of the Mystery Ranch. The Argali is $44 cheaper then the comparable Mystery Ranch.

I don't know anything about a coupon code for Mystery Ranch. But, Kifaru offers sales too. My point is that people keep saying the other packs are so much cheaper when it just ain't so.

Since you said it earlier, the weight savings just aren't there either for most packs either. The Marshall weighs 7.1 pounds. A 24 inch aluminum stayed hunter frame, with the reckoning weighs in at 6 pounds 10 ounces. The same frame with an Argali weighs in at 5 pounds 11 ounces.

I used these packs to compare apples to apples based on cubic inch sizes the OP appeared to be looking at. Yes the Fulcrum is more expensive then those but, I wouldn't buy it due to the other choices that are more affordable. Yes you can buy a smaller MR pack for cheaper then a comparable Kifaru. But, the difference is less then $50. But, when you compare size to size, it simply isn't what most folks claim in weight or price.

Like I said before, no one but Kifaru offers the adjust-ability of the aluminum stays. And, the price is what it is. So is the weight. God Bless

The coupon codes that lost roksliders are aware of gets you ten percent off your order on black Ovis putting the price for a Marshall quite a bit lower and the shipping is free. Add the 30 dollars shipping onto your kifaru order and it's 100$ most people are going to add pockets to and argali or reckoning and most likely a lid bumping up the pack weight to over 7 lbs. I'm not trying to argue but adding things to my cart and doing simple math over and over and over when researching packs has led me to these conclusions. I love kifaru and their products I've had 2 frames and 4 different bags. Even had a bikini and argali. Which I ran 4 belt pouches and a nalgene pocket and that put me up over 6 pounds and neither of those are offered anymore. Good luck with your decision OP

People tend to get hung up on factors like ounces, colors, cubes, and labels. My 2 biggest factors are comfort under load, and easy usability afield. I discovered I'm a minimalist when it comes to gadgety bags and yards of webbing. The cleaner and simpler my pack is, the better I like it. If it then fits correctly and carries comfortably I've found what I want. Durability is a given because I won't even consider a marginal brand. I really don't care who's label is on it...can't use a label in the backcountry.

That tri-zip bag by Adam at Rugged Stitching looks superb. I have used tri-zip bags for many years and...imo...this is one of the most useful and practical hunting pack bag designs ever made. I've never been one to enjoy extra pouches, pockets and lids on the exterior of my hunting pack. I'm probably in the minority but a flap-over lid using buckles and such is a negative to me. The tri-zip is quick, clean and allows full access to contents in a couple seconds.

People tend to get hung up on factors like ounces, colors, cubes, and labels. My 2 biggest factors are comfort under load, and easy usability afield. I discovered I'm a minimalist when it comes to gadgety bags and yards of webbing. The cleaner and simpler my pack is, the better I like it. If it then fits correctly and carries comfortably I've found what I want. Durability is a given because I won't even consider a marginal brand. I really don't care who's label is on it...can't use a label in the backcountry.

That tri-zip bag by Adam at Rugged Stitching looks superb. I have used tri-zip bags for many years and...imo...this is one of the most useful and practical hunting pack bag designs ever made. I've never been one to enjoy extra pouches, pockets and lids on the exterior of my hunting pack. I'm probably in the minority but a flap-over lid using buckles and such is a negative to me. The tri-zip is quick, clean and allows full access to contents in a couple seconds.
That ought to be a rokslide slogan, "... Can't use a label in the backcountry."

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

kipper09

WKR

I’m with you on this. I love the dragon slayer daypack I have. If this works like I think it will I may have one made that’s about 6500 ci. The tri zip works so great for me. That was my whole reasoning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am in AZ, hunting everything from the desert to higher altitude pines.

Where in AZ are you? I’ll be there in about 3 weeks with a kifaru 28” tac frame/fulcrum and a SG x-curve with a solo bag if you want to check them out. I’m not selling them but it might give you a feel for the difference between the 2.

1e18d779c7f9005a9b2315bd88e9c998.jpg

I’m an xcurve guy. I’ve owned all of them. It fits me best. I love the 5900. I had pods8 put this bag together for me. I’m beyond excited to use it. I have always loved mystery ranch bags with the trizip. So this is my way of having what works for me.

Pm sent

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I went down the exact same path as you a couple years ago and made the mistake of listening to people’s preference and focusing on specs of the bags. I’ve had the SG Sky 5200 and Kifaru Fulcrum and have packed out an elk deep in the back country (about 8-12 miles) with each in Colorado. My biggest lesson learned is that every pack will fit every person different and it is essential that you try our multiple brands with heavy weight to choose the best option.

The SG frame was a terrible fit for me and I was miserable when I had over 100lbs on it. Not very noticeable with just my gear (around 65lbs) but once I threw the meat on there it was horrible. The pack itself is very well built. And ultralight. I had to store smaller items in pullouts because it didn’t have external pockets except for the guide lid. It also had a half zip in the front so that became a PITA. All negligible and personal preference though and can be addressed by choosing another bag from the SG line. It was also a bit small for a 10-12 day hunt.

As for Kifaru, their Duplex frame fit me much better and my pack out last year was much better. The Fulcrum is in my opinion a better bag but that is strictly on preference as the actual build quality is the same and I took a hit on weight in exchange for external pockets that I found I prefer after using the two bags. I use the Fulcrum on a 10-12 day rifle hunt though so it is a giant bag and there are much better options for day hunts.

Bottom line - Don’t make a selection based on what works well for others. Buy a couple frames, throw heavy weight on them (100+lbs) and hike around. Once you decide on which frame fits your body better look into the bags. Both were great, comes down to preference on what you value more. I.e. weight, pockets for storage, etc. Return the frame that doesn’t fit best.

Same i’ve got a MR NICE frame and a 24” duplex frame you can try on and i’m in the phoenix area.

The coupon codes that lost roksliders are aware of gets you ten percent off your order on black Ovis putting the price for a Marshall quite a bit lower and the shipping is free. Add the 30 dollars shipping onto your kifaru order and it's 100$ most people are going to add pockets to and argali or reckoning and most likely a lid bumping up the pack weight to over 7 lbs. I'm not trying to argue but adding things to my cart and doing simple math over and over and over when researching packs has led me to these conclusions. I love kifaru and their products I've had 2 frames and 4 different bags. Even had a bikini and argali. Which I ran 4 belt pouches and a nalgene pocket and that put me up over 6 pounds and neither of those are offered anymore. Good luck with your decision OP

It is easy to find justification for one example. However, $100 on one is $25 for another. It isn't fair to assume that only Kifaru owners are going to run pockets and water bottle holsters too. So the weight is what it is. Lids? Well, i guess if 6000 CI won't get it, throw a lid on there too to get the price and weight up more. See my point?

Not trying to argue and, as my first post conceded, there are other examples where these gaps favor one or the other brand. I'm just pointing out that is has to be apples and apples to suggest they lighter and less expensive by $100. Suggesting that you must weigh and adjust the price of a fully outfitted Kifaru rig to compare a bare bones MR pack to, isn't comparing two equally matched items offered by the two companies. It just isn't as you suggested unless you pick and choose them to be. I'm not a kifaru fanboy or brand loyal pimp either. It simply is what it is. God Bless men

Anybody have any insight into how the Stone Glacier Belt compares to the Kifaru?
I currently run a Kuiu and I'm not a fan of the belt and it gets really uncomfortable. I love the way the Kifaru belt feels but I haven't had a chance to give the SG a try yet. I like the design of some of the SG bags as well which is why I'm leaning that way.
Thanks

Anybody have any insight into how the Stone Glacier Belt compares to the Kifaru?
I currently run a Kuiu and I'm not a fan of the belt and it gets really uncomfortable. I love the way the Kifaru belt feels but I haven't had a chance to give the SG a try yet. I like the design of some of the SG bags as well which is why I'm leaning that way.
Thanks

I’ve used both the xcurve and duplex and for me the xcurve belt gave me really bad blisters when my pack was over 60lbs and the kifaru belt I haven’t had that problem, I liked my 6900 bag way better than my reckoning but I personally like the kifaru frame and the way it fits me way better then the SG frame.

Grumman

WKR
Thanks

Of course this will be subjective based on the user. My experience, the SG fit me better than the Kifaru. I’m a 33” waist and just couldn’t get comfortable with a small or medium Kifaru belt, and they cancelled my order for a smedium which may have been perfect. Size wise the SG just fits me a lot better. The new style Kifaru is the winner as far as the belt tensioning adjustments go, I liked that aspect better than the SG.

ianpadron

WKR
1e18d779c7f9005a9b2315bd88e9c998.jpg

I’m an xcurve guy. I’ve owned all of them. It fits me best. I love the 5900. I had pods8 put this bag together for me. I’m beyond excited to use it. I have always loved mystery ranch bags with the trizip. So this is my way of having what works for me.

OK not to hijack the thread or anything but that is the sweetest bag I've ever seen lol. Waterproof zips to boot!

kipper09

WKR
I got the bag today and I have to admit the work is about as good as you will ever see. The stitching is great and nailed what I was looking for in design.. Anybody looking for something a little different don’t be afraid to try it with Adam. I couldn’t have asked for any better.