Help Choosing a backpack: Kifaru, SG, Mystery

rcdinaz

FNG
So I finally decided to spend some money on a top end backpack. Currently I have 3 Eberlestock and a Kuiu (1st gen). I use the Eberlestock Team Elk 80% of the time because we don't do many overnights anymore. Mostly day hunts but I carry an 85mm spotter, tripod, rifles, 12x50's, and now that a lot of my hunts are with my kids more stuff than I really should.:D The Eberle is great for carrying the Rifle but was really lacking when I packed out a bear, also it is a bit on the heavy side for the volume.
So here is what I am looking at after a couple of weeks of reading reviews and checking out web pages.

Kifaru Fulcrum: Seems to be a real do it all, day pack to meat carrier to multi-day. Probably most expensive option
Stone Glacier R3: Lightest pack lots of options for attachements, like the way SG and MR expand to carry meat bag.
Mystery Ranch Mule or Selway: Most affordable, heaviest, and now made overseas.

I have not worn any of them, my plus/minus list is only based on specs and reviews. I would really appreciate feedback or suggestions from those of you that have run these or something I have missed. Thanks!

bmart2622

WKR
Unless you are set on the tactical options of the R3 I would suggest a Sky series bag with the Evo frame if you are looking to go lightweight. The Sky 5900 is my favorite bag out of the 2 Kuiu, 2 SG, 4 Kifarus, Eberlestock and Badlands that I have owned. If you ever plan on doing multi day trips I would go with the 5900, it compresses down to the size of a Solo very nicely and expands to hold a week easy. I am not a fan of any of the Kifaru bag offerings but if I had to pick 1 it would be a Mountain Warrior now that the Timberline series is obsolete. The Duplex frame is tough to beat. I have modified my SG bag to fit on my Duplex frame to give me the best of both worlds.

I would include Seek Outsides Peregrine into the mix as well. Looks to be in the size range your looking for with meat hauling capabilities. It will also edge the Stone Glacier out in the weight category by a few ounces with a larger bag. There are a few reviews and videos out on this pack I would check out.

I’m sure Exo makes a pack in this size range as well.

I recently upgraded my pack and had a very hard time deciding between the peregrine and something a bit bigger. I ended up ordering a Goshawk which I am looking forward to receiving this week. The peregrine would have worked for most of my uses but size was one of my reasons for upgrading.

Very impressed with Seek Outsides customer service they answered all my questions. Pack was shipped much quicker than expected.

I have a stone glacier xcurve with a the solo and sky 5900 bag and currently own the kifaru reckoning on a hunter frame.

In my opinion...Of the 3 you listed to be used like you outlined, I would be buying the SG R3 or the EVO/xcurve with solo bag. You could ad a lid or access bag for extra room when you have your kids with you and you’re hauling extra food, clothes etc. add the rifle sling and you’ve got a good way to haul your rifle as well.

I have had and still own a few kifaru bags, but not the fulcrum. But similar bigger kifaru bags like the AMR and Reckoning all are a little much for day hunting if that’s all you’re going to be using them for. They will be heavier, bulkier, and require a lot more strap management.

bmart2622

WKR
By the time you add an Access bag and lid you will be into it more than the Sky 5900 costs and still wont have the same capacity. Ima small bag type of guy and always prefer to run as small of pack as possible. I have had the Solo and 5900 and in day mode there is absolutely no difference in size, it compresses amazingly well and I know they all say that but the 5900 compresses and stays clean and sleek and is not floppy and strappy like every other big bag I have used to day hunt out of.

Last edited:
I would do the Kifaru lightweight frame on pre order right now and combine a Tahr bag, if you can find one. I had mine 3400, set up with lid, pouches, pockets etc and expanded it to 7000. Great for day and extended hunts. I have the Fulcrum, but haven't used it yet, but it is strappy, and if you are used to that, you will see it as an issue. The Fulcrum will compress as you know to a great day pack as well. I have the AMR as well, which is my favorite of all of them. Just a hollow bag close to 8000 and compresses as flat as you need. The Reckoning is also a great choice.

I like the Kifarus because they can expand with pals webbing and other built in features to almost anything you want. And its totally 100% USA

My post isn't pack specific. I've tried the majority of the major high end brands. My favorite after wading through lots of expensive rigs is a Mystery Ranch using the Guide Light frame. The moment I buckled in with the yoke adjusted, I knew I was home. It was almost like the frame was built specifically for me. I don't think I've ever known the weight because I just don't care. When a pack carries like it's part of your body, the other factors matter less.

I've always advised a prospective pack buyer to order 2 or 3 competing packs to test. Before doing that, talk to the vendor and be sure they'll return the pack with no hassle. Get them all in. Adjust each and put the same weight in all of them. Then use them and evaluate them critically. Pick the best and return the rest. Sure, you'll spend money to do this but you'll be assured of getting the best of the best. Otherwise you're throwing one horseshoe and hoping it's a ringer.

JD619er

WKR
This ^^^^

I went through a bunch of packs before finding the right one for me. All of the major pack companies are going to feel pretty good. But one will fit just right and it took me a lot of headache to find that pack. Plus a bag combination that fit my system.

My post isn't pack specific. I've tried the majority of the major high end brands. My favorite after wading through lots of expensive rigs is a Mystery Ranch using the Guide Light frame. The moment I buckled in with the yoke adjusted, I knew I was home. It was almost like the frame was built specifically for me. I don't think I've ever known the weight because I just don't care. When a pack carries like it's part of your body, the other factors matter less.

I've always advised a prospective pack buyer to order 2 or 3 competing packs to test. Before doing that, talk to the vendor and be sure they'll return the pack with no hassle. Get them all in. Adjust each and put the same weight in all of them. Then use them and evaluate them critically. Pick the best and return the rest. Sure, you'll spend money to do this but you'll be assured of getting the best of the best. Otherwise you're throwing one horseshoe and hoping it's a ringer.

This^^^^^^^

I understand if you can't get them all though as its expensive. Here's my advice. Get the Kifaru. It isn't anymore expensive then the others in equal bags. The belt is the best and, aluminum stays allow you to fit the pack to you so it rides like Kevin states. A pack should feel like part of you. Only Kifaru offers that option of custom fit. That frame is $335 plus a bag. For $575 shipped, you can have it. None of the other brands you mentioned are that affordable. And, it will weigh slightly more then the SG and the same as the MR. But, it will fit you like a glove. God Bless

JD619er

WKR
I totally agree with most of your post mountaineer. Except you can get mystery ranch packs brand new from black Ovis for around 100$ cheaper Than that with the rokslide coupon code. Just offering info here now disagree with the kifaru adjustability.

AKironhead

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great advice in the posts above. I think bmart2622 has got a great setup with the SG bag on Kifaru frame. I might have to do try that next. I have modded Kuiu bags for the Kifaru frame for when I want to go as light as possible, but it is worth noting that if a heavier setup fits really good it is better than a lighter setup that doesn't fit as well. For instance mystery ranch, they have never been accused of being lightweight but when they fit good people love them. Same with Kifaru. Prioritize your requirements. Price, comfort, weight.. Your top 2 priorities should tell you where to look.

Spot on advise Kevin!

My intent here isn't to insult any pack company or user, but we're all individuals and won't like the same packs. For example: I've owned 3 Kifaru packs and used 2 of them extended hunts in Alaska. They were well built and I thought I'd like them. One of them had me in constant pain while packing out loads of meat. I was so miserable that I borrowed my friend's cheap Cabela's frame and finished the job. I know that runs counter to what most of us think, but it's the truth. I love the Kifaru brand but their packs simply do not suit me at all. It sucks in a way, because I'd like to enjoy their packs. It doesn't stop me from recommending them.

This is why I don't like picking one pack and buying it without comparison. I'm the same way with boots, trucks and bourbon.

kipper09

WKR
1e18d779c7f9005a9b2315bd88e9c998.jpg

I’m an xcurve guy. I’ve owned all of them. It fits me best. I love the 5900. I had pods8 put this bag together for me. I’m beyond excited to use it. I have always loved mystery ranch bags with the trizip. So this is my way of having what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree with most of your post mountaineer. Except you can get mystery ranch packs brand new from black Ovis for around 100$ cheaper Than that with the rokslide coupon code. Just offering info here now disagree with the kifaru adjustability.

Really? Kifaru hunter frame with aluminum stays is $335. A 6500 Ci reckoning is $284. that equals $619. Same frame with a 7000 CI Argali bag that costs $214 equals $549. That's cheaper then a comparable Mystery Ranch

A 6700 CI Marshall on Black Ovis is $595.

That's a $24 difference in favor of the Mystery Ranch. The Argali is $44 cheaper then the comparable Mystery Ranch.

I don't know anything about a coupon code for Mystery Ranch. But, Kifaru offers sales too. My point is that people keep saying the other packs are so much cheaper when it just ain't so.

Since you said it earlier, the weight savings just aren't there either for most packs either. The Marshall weighs 7.1 pounds. A 24 inch aluminum stayed hunter frame, with the reckoning weighs in at 6 pounds 10 ounces. The same frame with an Argali weighs in at 5 pounds 11 ounces.

I used these packs to compare apples to apples based on cubic inch sizes the OP appeared to be looking at. Yes the Fulcrum is more expensive then those but, I wouldn't buy it due to the other choices that are more affordable. Yes you can buy a smaller MR pack for cheaper then a comparable Kifaru. But, the difference is less then $50. But, when you compare size to size, it simply isn't what most folks claim in weight or price.

Like I said before, no one but Kifaru offers the adjust-ability of the aluminum stays. And, the price is what it is. So is the weight. God Bless

Last edited:
1e18d779c7f9005a9b2315bd88e9c998.jpg

I’m an xcurve guy. I’ve owned all of them. It fits me best. I love the 5900. I had pods8 put this bag together for me. I’m beyond excited to use it. I have always loved mystery ranch bags with the trizip. So this is my way of having what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's nice. Adam does fantastic work.

Trial153

WKR
You can’t go far wrong with any of the choices you listed. Pick the one that fits and suits you best. Weight and cost are secondary considerations.