Stone glacier dry cell bag or no?

amp713

WKR
So at the end of last years season I decided to pick up and try the SG sky 5900, now that the hunts are coming up I'm trying to decide if I should get the load cell or not.

I can run all of my gear in the 5900 in bivy mode minus my food so space isn't a concern going in but coming out is where I'm torn. I run cheap cotton game bags as I get them free at the local wild game butcher because he has so many coming in yearly. As we all know they don't hold shape great...

With my EMR2 I'd drop my meat in the bags, drop the game bags in a contractor bag, lay the EMR flat and put the meat in the main bag and zip it up stuck the bat wings in and then be good to go.... the high highcamp 7k was similar... but the bags basically held the meat in place and kept it from sinking completely.

With me planning to use the load shelf of the SG I wonder if a load cell would work better for keeping meat in place. I don't plan to use contractor bags as the meat will be separate from where I put gear for once...

Curious of others experiences

mt100gr.

WKR
I have packed meat on the SG load shelf a lot of ways. In game bags, wrapped in contractor bags, in round bottom dry sacks and in the SG load cell. The load cell is by far the best IMO as it allows the load to spread across the frame and take a flatter shape. A big dry sack works well too but the load cell is lighter than my big OR dry sack.

I just bought the R3 5900 on the EVO frame, If it fits me I will get the dry cell bag for sure. Probably have food and cooking gear going in and hopefully meat coming out ! I am interested in what some experienced user's have to say as well.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So at the end of last years season I decided to pick up and try the SG sky 5900, now that the hunts are coming up I'm trying to decide if I should get the load cell or not.

I can run all of my gear in the 5900 in bivy mode minus my food so space isn't a concern going in but coming out is where I'm torn. I run cheap cotton game bags as I get them free at the local wild game butcher because he has so many coming in yearly. As we all know they don't hold shape great...

With my EMR2 I'd drop my meat in the bags, drop the game bags in a contractor bag, lay the EMR flat and put the meat in the main bag and zip it up stuck the bat wings in and then be good to go.... the high highcamp 7k was similar... but the bags basically held the meat in place and kept it from sinking completely.

With me planning to use the load shelf of the SG I wonder if a load cell would work better for keeping meat in place. I don't plan to use contractor bags as the meat will be separate from where I put gear for once...

Curious of others experiences

Yes - I would highly suggest it if you bone meat out. Fits perfect and forces you to distribute it across the frame, which helps keep its shape. I’ve done it with and without, and always take their dry bag with me now for meat.

NOTE: The SG dry cell IS NOT a dry bad. The seams are not taped nor sealed. It is a great bag because of the shape and how it carries on load shelf. But do not buy for a need of keeping things dry.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a regular dry bag between the Krux frame and pack, but I've never used it for hauling meat. I just use a trash compactor bag around the meat bag on the load shelf.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
NOTE: The SG dry cell IS NOT a dry bad. The seams are not taped nor sealed. It is a great bag because of the shape and how it carries on load shelf. But do not buy for a need of keeping things dry.

I plan to use mine (if I get it) solely for meat and have debated adding grommets in the bottom to allow blood a quicker way out....

lif

WKR
I do my own sewing to a point. I wonder how difficult it would be to make one. I’m preferring SG this week.

I've been using one now for the past 3 seasons and although I typically don't bone out meat, I have used it for misc. cuts like neck meat, straps, loins, ribs, etc. That being said, I mainly use it for capes and full hides. Like what has already been stated, it works great for keeping it's shape and (as can be expected), fits nicely in the SG load shelf.
9a0ca3497f0edfa6a25d93ff64f32cf8.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have one and really like it. I’d tou are using an SG pack, it seems like a no brained, it’s. Or like they are a serious financial investment.

Had one for 5 years now and still is not worn out. Agree if they could make them 6 inches taller it would be perfect. I put 8 days of food, all in ziplocks, on pack in. I have found quarters ride pretty nice cinched down without it. Loose meat it works great as you can cinch it flat and not worry about a clump sliding down to your tailbone.