What pack to go with??

BigSaby

FNG
I am going on a backcountry west Montana guided archery elk hunt in sept. I need to get a reliable bag that I can depend on for yrs to come. I plan on packing out my own meat (provided I get an elk). I am not huge but I am somewhat a larger guy. At 6’4” and 230 I want a pack that can carry a heavy load but not b unecessarily uncomfortable. I am presently considering a stone glacier sky archer 6200. I am also aware of the nice options offered by kifaru/mystery ranch/kuiu. Open to info and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm1607

WKR
After owning many, many packs I finally settled on Kifaru and wish I did a long time ago..

Everyone talks about Kifaru's quality and how well it rides, but to be honest it rides about the same and is about the same quality as my Exo packs did/were. To me, the big difference that no one seems to talk about is the modularity. The fact you can connect and disconnect pouches and accessories in a matter of seconds virtually anywhere on the pack is insanely handy. Depending on your hunt you can either put a small pouch on the belt or a holster. If you're taking Nalgene bottle(s) clip on holders, if not hook up a bladder and replace the holders with pouches.. It's so fast and easy.. There's no going back for me now.. It's definitely an initial investment but IMO it's worth every penny if you hunt more than once a year..

After owning many, many packs I finally settled on Kifaru and wish I did a long time ago..

Everyone talks about Kifaru's quality and how well it rides, but to be honest it rides about the same and is about the same quality as my Exo packs did/were. To me, the big difference that no one seems to talk about is the modularity. The fact you can connect and disconnect pouches and accessories in a matter of seconds virtually anywhere on the pack is insanely handy. Depending on your hunt you can either put a small pouch on the belt or a holster. If you're taking Nalgene bottle(s) clip on holders, if not hook up a bladder and replace the holders with pouches.. It's so fast and easy.. There's no going back for me now.. It's definitely an initial investment but IMO it's worth every penny if you hunt more than once a year..
Kifaru is awesome. If you like the modularity aspect this is the way to go. I had kifaru for a long time, but as I hunted more I began to desire a more minimalist setup. Now I run the stone glacier sky Archer 6200.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jm1607

WKR
Kifaru is awesome. If you like the modularity aspect this is the way to go. I had kifaru for a long time, but as I hunted more I began to desire a more minimalist setup. Now I run the stone glacier sky Archer 6200.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That was my problem with Kifaru at 1st was that all the bags were so "strappy" and complicated, even their more simple designs. I feel like their newer bags like the Reckoning and the Crater (or whatever it's called) are much more minimalist.. At least way more than any previous models..

Agustus

FNG
I agree with the above statements about the modularity of kifaru. I’ve been through many packs as well as others. Once I found kifaru I began getting pockets, pouches and grab its.

I have an exo pack that is nice for the simplistic set up. But I honestly miss the abailty to add pockets to the outside of my pack for things I need to get to quickly. Those pouches and pockets quickly go from one pack to another and attach in seconds.

Well thought out platform. I will also say that their products seem as good or better than others for a build quality standpoint. I like their belts better than others (have not tried a stone glacier belt).

bmart2622

WKR
I would get my hands on as many frames as you could and load them up and see what works for you. As far as bags go, I personally cant stand the Pals webbing and adding pockets and pouches so I am not a huge fan of the Kifaru bags. Honestly unless you find a bag exactly the way you want it I would get with pods8 from Rugged Stitching and have him make a custom bag exactly how you want it for whatever frame you go with.

AdamW

WKR
I'd start with a call to Kifaru and tell them your height etc. You're likely a 28" frame and they'll give you some options.

Seek Outside Revolution frame and pack of your choice. Most comfortable pack out there and you can go 24,26,28" in seconds depending on load! Absolutely awesome system

I'd start with a call to Kifaru and tell them your height etc. You're likely a 28" frame and they'll give you some options.

I second this. With your height you may need a taller frame than 24" or 25". KIfaru will custom make a taller frame and they offer 22", 24" and 26" as standard lengths. I am 5'-9" and the 24" frame is what I ordered.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I have had experience with cheap packs and high-dollar packs. You are wise to save your body, and go with a good pack. Boots, binos, and packs are always worth the extra money. Kifaru, and Stone Glacier are at the top right now. Kifaru has built a strong reputation on having an extremely comfortable frame that carries heavy weight well. Kifaru and SG hold their value well and have great customer service. Mystery Ranch, and Exo also reputable packs, with Exo increasingly gaining a following. I personally know a number of people that love the Kuiu pack layout, but have had issue with the frames making noise (and questionable CS). Badlands and Tenzing may have good marketing, but do not tend to find as strong a following on this forum. Guys on this forum live for hunting, and so tend to find the best. I would recommend reading a lot on this forum to help you narrow it down based on your needs. Ask yourself what type of gear you will be bringing and figure out what style of hunting you plan on doing. When browsing, look for features that you think will fit your needs, ie cost, fit, pack design, size, compressibility, weight, modularity, options for attaching holster to the belt, ect

Vangysway

FNG
I recently purchased a Seek Outside Peregrine on Revolution frame. I don't have a ton to compare it to other than shitty old packs from my teen years in Utah wilderness camps, but the quality is apparent and after one hike, I can tell this is going to be a pack that will last me a very long time.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am going on a backcountry west Montana guided archery elk hunt in sept. I need to get a reliable bag that I can depend on for yrs to come. I plan on packing out my own meat (provided I get an elk). I am not huge but I am somewhat a larger guy. At 6’4” and 230 I want a pack that can carry a heavy load but not b unecessarily uncomfortable. I am presently considering a stone glacier sky archer 6200. I am also aware of the nice options offered by kifaru/mystery ranch/kuiu. Open to info and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go with the Sky Archer 6200. I have that same bag and I love mine. I use it as a day bag and also my back country bag for 7 days so they pack down to almost nothing. The load shelf is rated for 150+ but you can get more on there if you're willing to take on the weight. All the bags are interchangeable with the frames so say you buy the 6200 but want the 1700-1800 for a day pack all you need to buy is just the bag. The frame is the same for each bag. There is a lot of options for accessories and attachments. If I were you I would get the large belt so the Sky Archer 6200 large.