First Pack advice

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
I have been reading through a ton of threads about picking packs and a lot of the advice comes down to trying out as many packs as possible. This will be my first heavy load type pack so I am new as to what to look for. The main issue is that here in NC no one sells these types of packs and very few people own them just to try on. The closest options are just normal hiking packs and maybe one or two options at cabelas and bass pro. My budget pretty much limits me to a used pack which I actually prefer, at this point i really don't have any business buying new. I have been looking at the classifieds on here but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on anything yet.

I am looking for a good option for a week long spike camp elk hunt. If it helps I'm 6'1" 185. I would appreciate any and all advice on narrowing things down a little.

Everyone is going to say try as many as you can. I understand being from the east that isn't a real good option. Neither is dropping $2000 to return the ones you don't, since it would be impossible to get them all in and decided on with the 30 day return period. So, I'm going to tell you something to consider, only one pack maker truly gives you the option of a custom back profile fit. That is a Kifaru with aluminum stays. Sounds like you need a 26 inch frame too. They are being sold everyday on the classifieds. Even if you have to buy a composite stay used pack, $40 will put Aluminum ones in it if the carbons don't fit you perfectly. That would be my advice. Take care and God Bless

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say for a first timer and not getting to deep into your pocket, I would buy a Kuiu. I have tried every pack out there except the Stone Glacier and for the money invested to try a pack the Kuiu is the best at the price point and even better buying them used on this forum.

I wouldn't get caught up in all the naysayers or the people that say you have to buy only this brand because of what ever reason. The majority of those people don't spend enough time with a pack on to know and are repeating something they have heard or read without experiencing it first hand.

If you want to call I will give you the pros and cons to most of the packs out there, and yes, every pack that people will mention has pros and cons.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My advice: buy once, cry once. Stuck to kifaru or stone glacier, don’t even mess with off brands like exo, Kuiu, badlands, eberlestock....

Put out a wtb on the classifieds and sit on your $$$ until you find exactly what you want.

That’s my advice.

I would say for a first timer and not getting to deep into your pocket, I would buy a Kuiu. I have tried every pack out there except the Stone Glacier and for the money invested to try a pack the Kuiu is the best at the price point and even better buying them used on this forum.

I wouldn't get caught up in all the naysayers or the people that say you have to buy only this brand because of what ever reason. The majority of those people don't spend enough time with a pack on to know and are repeating something they have heard or read without experiencing it first hand.

If you want to call I will give you the pros and cons to most of the packs out there, and yes, every pack that people will mention has pros and cons.

This is solid advise form an accomplished western hunter who spends more time in the field than most. The Icon Pro is a great pack and can be had at a bargin used. I have been on this forum a while since I moved out west. The truth is there is a lot of cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias on this site. This site tends to lean to high dollar gear. Sure, there are the obvious best in class but the law of diminishing returns applies. I had the original KUIU and after all the hype on here I got a Kifaru Bikini frame. I was much more comfortable in that KUIU. My point is fit is subjective. Buy once cry once is a popular phrase on here but that crying may be because you just spent a small fortune on gear you didn't need or doesn't fit you or your style.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like anything, try not to get caught up in the naysayers. Kuiu, exo, etc are not “off brands.” SG and Kifaru are rock solid packs, but they come at a very high price point.

And there really is no, buy once cry once. No one owns just one pack as one pack can’t do everything. That is why pack companies keep offering new models, it’s a good business strategy. Just like computers, bows, etc., one small change and everyone once the latest and greatest.

All we can really offer you is what we know fits us personally, works in our scenarios, and handles how we hike and camp and when. No one can get you set up perfectly, but you can be directed in a good direction. Keep in mind this will be a work in progress for you, and not a magic discovery where you get it perfectly right on this first trip.

For me on a 7 day set up where I will hike in and spike camp from there, I personally run a bag that is about 7000- 8500 ci. But other guys can do it with less. I choose not to. 7 days, is a lot of food. Its a lot of other things too, if you plan to stay spiked out. Things like batteries, TP, etc.. I will want to sleep good, so I bring nice bag, pillow, mat etc... I will wash clothes rather than bring extra, so I have soap for that.

Personally a week is a long time (7 day) for your first trip. Personally I would suggest you think about going in 3 days, come out one, go back in 3 more.

I have 3 packs/frames currently. All are name brands. All are 7000+ in size the way I have them set up. Cause I can always compress them to 2000 or less for day hunts.

I would suggest these in order of my preference:
Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek Outside.

I wouldn't personally look at other options for my own reasons. It isn't always about what the pack does, but what the companies that make the packs do with your money spent on them.

OP
Wildlifer

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for the advice and tips. I'm watching the classified for a decent pack, is there another place to look for used ones?
Asking about packs is a lot like asking about boots, also an issue here as far as selection, everyone is different. I guess a better question when considering a pack is what are some things steer away from in a used pack? I had a conversation that suggested I look for one that has not had packed out multiple animals over several years.

aion2come

WKR
There is a Seek Outside Divide on there now at the mid $300's. That sounds like a great pack that will work for what you are wanting.

daddie63

WKR
There's also a Unaweep in the classifieds for 250 which is a good deal. If I didn't already have a SO pack I would snatch this one up. Could do a hell of a lot worse especially for $250. Just my opinion

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a week long trip I second the opinion on 7000 CI+

I tried a 10 day hunt in my Exo 5500 and I much prefer my SG Sky 7400 for that duration. For anything over 5 days I gotta have the larger size, until the day they make Mt House meals the size of butter cubes (my personal backpacking dream).

I have had a few packs (Dana Design, KUIU, Kifaru, Exo, SG) and I prefer Exo & Stone Glacier packs because of how they fit and perform for me. I have to admit though the KUIU pack bag was well laid out.

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Is it practical to go to the Sheep Show and try packs there? It looks like several of the pack companies display. I’m considering doing that as I know nothing about backpack hunting and just booked a hunt in NWT. I really want to be sure about what I buy and not spend a fotune. Not sure if I’ll ever go back on that sort of hunt. One and done might change what I should buy.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great idea if vendors are there. You will get the scoop from the source and they will fit you right. If you can swing it I think that is about as good as you can do finding a pack that fits you.

OP
Wildlifer

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
That's an idea. Show season is over for this year, not much help for a pack this fall. If I was closer I would consider it but being on the East Coast I would have to make it a full trip of things to do and not just to go try out packs, kinda kills my budget tho :(

boom

WKR
My advice: buy once, cry once. Stuck to kifaru or stone glacier, don’t even mess with off brands like exo, Kuiu, badlands, eberlestock....

Put out a wtb on the classifieds and sit on your $$$ until you find exactly what you want.

That’s my advice.

rarefied air considering you call those the "off brands".