New to this site (back pack help)

Shoffman

FNG
I want to upgrade from my badlands 2200 pack to a kifaru. I want something that is a day pack to a 3 day pack that can handle 60-80lbs if meat comfortably for 3-6 miles. I don't pack in all my gear like tents and sleeping bags etc...... I'm always within I would say 6 miles of my camp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting duplex frame and Reckoning is the simplest answer for carrying a max of 3 days. Jordan Budd has some GREAT review videos on the Reckoning on the Rokslide YouTube channel that may help answer your questions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shoffman

FNG
Keep in mind most of the time I would be using it as a day pack. Been looking at the tarryall, 14'r, woodsman, and the reckoning.

If you like the size of the BL 2200, then you probably don't want to go larger than the woodsman. Maybe look into the nomad 2 as well. Another option to look at besides kifaru would be the mystery ranch pop up series. Both the 18 and 28 might fit your needs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shoffman

FNG
If you like the size of the BL 2200, then you probably don't want to go larger than the woodsman. Maybe look into the nomad 2 as well. Another option to look at besides kifaru would be the mystery ranch pop up series. Both the 18 and 28 might fit your needs as well.

I just looked the the myster ranch, looks good, how are they on comfort

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fatrascal

WKR
So you will mostly want to use it as a day pack but you want to be able to pack out meat. Personally I am not a fan of the smaller Kifaru packs because they offer less cubic inches but more weight due to the pockets and zippers and straps.
Tarryall 3,200 cubic inches @ 4lb 5oz
22 mag 3,000 cubic inches @ 3lbs
14r 2,400 cubic inches @ 3lbs 3oz
Compare that to the Reckoning
Reckoning 5,000 to 6,500 cubic inches @ 2lb 13 oz
Duplex Timberline 2 5,200 cubic inches @ 2lb 13 oz
Even the Timberline 2 weighs less than the smaller bags.
If you are trying to keep your bag size kinda smaller then I like one of your picks being the Woodsman which is the little brother to the Reckoning. One thing not mentioned yet is that the smaller bags also do not have spotting scope pockets with the exception of the 22 mag. The woodsman also does not have spotting scope pockets but has the ability to add spotting scope pockets.
Woodsman 3,400 to 4,000 cubic inches @ 2lbs.
With all of that being said I think the Woodsman would handle your needs. Its a sporty looking pack, only weighs 2 lbs, has the ability to go from 3,400 to 4,000 cubic inches, can add spotting scope pockets, Guide lid, Grab it and compete with the big bags with these add ons. But without the add ons you can keep it as a small to medium pack. You have the ability to carry plenty of meat comfortably or use it as a day pack. It will fit the 22", 24" and 26" frames. Good luck with your choice. Fatrascal

OP
S

Shoffman

FNG
So you will mostly want to use it as a day pack but you want to be able to pack out meat. Personally I am not a fan of the smaller Kifaru packs because they offer less cubic inches but more weight due to the pockets and zippers and straps.
Tarryall 3,200 cubic inches @ 4lb 5oz
22 mag 3,000 cubic inches @ 3lbs
14r 2,400 cubic inches @ 3lbs 3oz
Compare that to the Reckoning
Reckoning 5,000 to 6,500 cubic inches @ 2lb 13 oz
Duplex Timberline 2 5,200 cubic inches @ 2lb 13 oz
Even the Timberline 2 weighs less than the smaller bags.
If you are trying to keep your bag size kinda smaller then I like one of your picks being the Woodsman which is the little brother to the Reckoning. One thing not mentioned yet is that the smaller bags also do not have spotting scope pockets with the exception of the 22 mag. The woodsman also does not have spotting scope pockets but has the ability to add spotting scope pockets.
Woodsman 3,400 to 4,000 cubic inches @ 2lbs.
With all of that being said I think the Woodsman would handle your needs. Its a sporty looking pack, only weighs 2 lbs, has the ability to go from 3,400 to 4,000 cubic inches, can add spotting scope pockets, Guide lid, Grab it and compete with the big bags with these add ons. But without the add ons you can keep it as a small to medium pack. You have the ability to carry plenty of meat comfortably or use it as a day pack. It will fit the 22", 24" and 26" frames. Good luck with your choice. Fatrascal
Thank you for your input, I have been looking hard at the woodsman, just sucks because adding a couple pockets I'm paying more for it then the reckoning.

I just looked the the myster ranch, looks good, how are they on comfort

For me they are comfortable. I've got an older longbow on a nice frame....which is comparable to there current pintler bag. This is the bag I run for day hunting and hiking. My kifaru setup is for longer expeditions

My buddy has an older kifaru duplex and a mystery Ranch metcalf on their guide lite frame. He prefers the MR for loads not exceeding 75lbs. Anything heavier he wears his duplex cause it's more ridged. He says both are super comfortable.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either company. It pretty much comes down to how much money you want to spend.

Last edited:

fatrascal

WKR
I forgot about the new muskeg series of packs. The 3,000 cubic inch bag weighs 2lbs 5oz. The 5,000 cubic inch bag weighs 2lbs 8oz. The 7,000 cubic inch bag weighs in at 2lbs 11oz. A good savings in weight. All weights that I've mentioned in this post and my previous post does not include frame. Fatrascal.

OP
S

Shoffman

FNG
I forgot about the new muskeg series of packs. The 3,000 cubic inch bag weighs 2lbs 5oz. The 5,000 cubic inch bag weighs 2lbs 8oz. The 7,000 cubic inch bag weighs in at 2lbs 11oz. A good savings in weight. All weights that I've mentioned in this post and my previous post does not include frame. Fatrascal.
I have been looking at that new mystery ranch 28 pop up too.

OP
S

Shoffman

FNG
I like the exo k2000 also, looks like it would work great for my needs too

Kifaru reckoning dude. That’s a solid pack on a solid frame. I use that in town if I’m going to be out for a couple days, it can squish down small but the way it’s designed it’s almost like a duffel bag when you expand it.

That said it’s not designed for in town and out in nature it’s rad. Candit any and everything you need from short trip to days without being cumbersome

Thank you for your input, I have been looking hard at the woodsman, just sucks because adding a couple pockets I'm paying more for it then the reckoning.

This was exactly why I got the reckoning. Most of the time the woodsman more appropriate in size for how I use it and if they’ve had the side pockets on it I would have gone with it. But without them it loses substantial volume and wasn’t the eying to spend more for less capacity or way more to have enough pockets to come close to expanded reckoning size

frankrb3

WKR
I want to upgrade from my badlands 2200 pack to a kifaru. I want something that is a day pack to a 3 day pack that can handle 60-80lbs if meat comfortably for 3-6 miles. I don't pack in all my gear like tents and sleeping bags etc...... I'm always within I would say 6 miles of my camp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kifaru 22 Magnum

colersu22

WKR
I have a Woodsman on a 24" tactical frame and it does everything you are asking for. I went out yesterday and had my pack loaded with all my gear for 4 days but could have fit more food and made it work for a week. As for the 3 day thing it will all depend on what gear you have and how much room it takes up, if I switched out some gear I would have more room or less room.

gear in the picture....
Seekoutside Cimarron
EE revelation 20 quilt
Expen 9 sleeping pad
borah lightweight bivy
REI tent pole
Jetboil zip
extra pair of socks
rain jacket
food in individually bagged per day with 4 days worth
Kill kit(4 xl ovis sacks, 1 tag BOMB bag, outdoor edge razor blaze, 50' 550 cord, flagging tape, surgical gloves)

Outside has my promaster tripod and trekking poles

I have 1 large pocket and 2 medium pockets that carry possibles pouch, filter, first aid, headlamp, gloves extra batteries and battery pack to charge other electronics.

If I took my Klymit pad and DST tarp instead of the Exped9 and Cimarron that would give me quite a but more room but I could still cram 3 more days worth of food in the pack

xTbuMKz.jpg