Which SG bag

Mossy

WKR
What would you consider to be the most versatile bag for the Xcurve? Short overnights,day hunts with just essentials and regular hiking use?

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Sky 5900, but that might be more pack than you need for overnighters. Their 3300 offerings look really good. All of them compress way down in bivy mode.

I’ve owned 4 or 5 different SG bags, currently have 3, but I’ve never owned any of the latest bags that have been new on the market in the last year. So, based on my experience, I would suggest either the Solo or the Approach, with the Approach probably being the better option for your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've decided my 5100 is the most versatile, with the lid for overnights, bivy mode for day hikes. It's no longer made but I see them in the classifieds.

Current bags, for what you described....probably the Solo 3300. You could add a lid or the access bag to extend space. Kind if depends on your gear for the overnight as well. If you don't have light, very packable gear the solo may be too small.

bmart2622

WKR
Ive only owned 2 SG bags but the Sky 5900 is the most versatile of all the bags I have tried which include Kifaru, SG, Kuiu, Eberlestock, Badlands, and Exo. Compresses great for a day pack and expands for multi day trips. It is identical in size to the Solo when in bivy mode so really there is no benefit of going with the Solo for the use you described.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love my 3300, it’s awesome for 3-5 day trips, I’m really thinking hard about getting the 7900 though and using it to replace my fulcrum.

• Banned
OP
M

Mossy

WKR
Thanks guys. The description of the approach sounds like it was designed for exactly how I hunt; steep, thick high mountain hunting. I use a small badlands pack now specifically to just hold my water bladder and essentials. It's been perfect because I barely know it's on my back and it doesn't snag on deadfalls I maneuver through/around. Downside is multiple trips getting the meat back to the truck(which is why I got the Xcurve).
Does the 3300 or others have the same footprint as the approach when it's compressed down? I probably don't need the 3300 space but I don't want to limit myself.

Thanks guys. The description of the approach sounds like it was designed for exactly how I hunt; steep, thick high mountain hunting. I use a small badlands pack now specifically to just hold my water bladder and essentials. It's been perfect because I barely know it's on my back and it doesn't snag on deadfalls I maneuver through/around. Downside is multiple trips getting the meat back to the truck(which is why I got the Xcurve).
Does the 3300 or others have the same footprint as the approach when it's compressed down? I probably don't need the 3300 space but I don't want to limit myself.

The 3300 will basically compress completely down to the frame footprint. I don't own and have never even seen an approach in person, but looking at it online, the approach will obviously have less material and strap to deal with. I suggested the 3300 because of the "short overnight" component in your original description. If I were to do an overnight in the approach bag I would need to fill one of the load cell dry bags in the load shelf with my shelter, sleeping bag, more food, etc., thus rendering the load shelf useless if I harvested an animal. With the 3300 I can fit my entire overnight kit in the bag, so the load shelf is available to haul meat. But the 330 is still small enough for truck hunts and day hunts...for me at least.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I own the Sky Talus 6900 and the Solo 3300. Solo is my favorite but the Talus really gets the job done and allows me to pack everything including the Kitchen Sink.

They both compress down flat, so no issues there. My son used the Solo a few years ago for a week long Kodiak goat hunt and it worked out great. This year we’re doing a 10 day sheep hunt and the plan is for him to use the Approach with an Access bag attached and two large belt pockets. I’ll be using a Sky 7400 with two belt pockets. We’ll load it all up here in the next couple weeks, just to make sure that it’s going to work, if not, I’ll be in the market for another SG bag for him. For day hikes and overnighter’s, there’s no doubt in my mind that the Approach would easily work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Can I ask why you want to replace your Fulcrum?

I don’t really want to replace it, but love it. Right now though, I’m really moving towards putting together the lightest kit possible and my 28” tactical frame with tha fulcrum bag is around 8lbs so switching to the SG 7900 would give me basically the same capacity and save me ~2+ lbs.

Honestly even if I get the SG 7900, I’ll probably still keep my kifaru set up for when weight isn’t such a big issue and durability is more important (packrafting, backpacking, moose hunting etc).

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
Why is it that you think the SG is less durable than a Kifaru?

Seriously, I don't understand why this is a prevalent thought, granted this is rokifaruslide.com.

I love Kifaru and they were first on the scene with a lot of materials, design, etc, but the other high quality pack companies use the same, or similiar, materials and construction. Patrick Smith and Dana Gleason brought great stuff to the market and built solid legacies but it doesn't mean the "newcomers" are lesser, especially since everyone is essentially doing variations/descendants of Smith and Gleason designs.

/endderail

bmart2622

WKR
I think the "lightweight" part throws people off. SG does not sacrifice durabilty for lightweight. They use 500D Cordura and milspec webbing and buckles. They save weight by cutting back on zippers, pockets, Pals webbing....

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why is it that you think the SG is less durable than a Kifaru?

Good quesruin and I guess I don’t really have a good answer. The kifaru just seems more sturdy maybe it’s not that the SG is less durable but the kifaru is more overbuilt.

AdamRappe

FNG
I am a huge fan of the Sky Archer 6200. I use it for blacktail day hunts and extended overnight trips.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What would you consider to be the most versatile bag for the Xcurve? Short overnights,day hunts with just essentials and regular hiking use?

The Sky Archer 6200. It has a side zip so when you strap your bow to the back it's a lot easier getting to stuff from the side vs the 5900 which has a center zip that makes you take the bow off to get inside. Alternatively, if you don't wanna go that big, maybe the 3300. It doesn't come with a lid but still has 3300 cubic inches. I personally run the 6200 from a day pack to being in the back country for 7 -10 days. They pack down to literally nothing and are super light weight. I also like the 6200 because I have the room to bring what I need if not a little extra if I'm feeling lucky. It's a good medium between all the frame packs, and I just like the bag setup the best. Everyone has their personal opinion on packs, but I believe the Sky Archer 6200 is the way to go,

Last edited: