Which SG bag

frankrb3

WKR
What would you consider to be the most versatile bag for the Xcurve? Short overnights,day hunts with just essentials and regular hiking use?

Sky 5900. Has basically three modes.

1.) Completely compressed while utilizing just the large vertical zippered pocket (minimal day hunting mode).

2.) Expanded without using the snow collar or top pack (bivy mode). About the same size as a sky 3300 and good for a few nights

3.) Fully expanded and using the top pack (expedition mode).

The pack is super versatile and can be adjusted to deal with a lot of scenarios.

ianpadron

WKR
Sky Talus 6900. Combines the best of all the bags. Full length front zip, double spotting scope pockets, water bottle holders, huge lid, more cubic inches than the 5900, more features than the old 7400. Compresses down into bivvy mode just as small as the 3300.

It is the perfect 1 and done bag in the SG lineup. I love mine.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I run both the Solo as well as the Approach. For 1 day stuff it doesn't really matter which, as they both compress down to the frame. For multi day hunts, I use both, and will drop 1 bag when I get to where I'm making camp. Which bag I drop is weather dependent, if it's warm and I don't need layers, then I drop the Solo. If I might need layers and or raingear, then I keep the solo and drop the approach.

4ester

WKR
I run the Archer 6200 also, big enough for Big trips and small enough you forget it’s even there for Day hunts. I run it in bivy mode 90% of the time. I like the side zip but also wish it had a spotting scope pocket. Of course then it wouldn’t tuck in so streamlined when empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mossy

WKR
Thanks guys. Now I'm trying to decide between the 3300 and 5900..... I think the 5900 is overkill for what I need though and it's a pound heavier; although it comes with a lid.

frankrb3

WKR
Thanks guys. Now I'm trying to decide between the 3300 and 5900..... I think the 5900 is overkill for what I need though and it's a pound heavier; although it comes with a lid.

I had the R3 (same as solo 3300) and sold it for the SKY 5900. Extremely happy with that decision. 3300 is a good bag that works for most but I couldn't stand the beavertail opening. Whenever I wanted to open the entire bag stuff would just slide out all over the place. The panel louder opening on the 5900 does a much better job of keeping the contents of the bag contained when completely opened and the snow collar top opening allows me to pack the bag like a traditional back pack.

kipper09

WKR
Sky 5900. If you have one bag and want the most versatile go with 5900. Bivy mode it’s about the same size as the solo, but will expand big enough for multi day adventures. The front load is great for getting in the bag and I put most of my stuff in the small front pocket thats day hunting gear. I don’t think you can go wrong with the sky 5900

USMC307

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the exact same boat. This thread has been very helpful. I’m leaning towards 5900 after the posts. Can someone post some pics of the inside vertical pocket? Are there other pockets inside it? How easy does a angled spotting scope fit??

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ended up ordering a 7900 myself, I already have the solo so I wanted to go bigger. Now Ill be able to try it out side by side with my fulcrum.

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sky 6900. It gets pretty small if you need it to. Very versatile.
916c5022d8aad062ffaae6970f5774f7.jpg

frankrb3

WKR
I’m in the exact same boat. This thread has been very helpful. I’m leaning towards 5900 after the posts. Can someone post some pics of the inside vertical pocket? Are there other pockets inside it? How easy does a angled spotting scope fit??

No internal pockets, just one common space. It does fit my straight 65mm vortex spotting scope and medium compact outdoorsmans tripod with the standard pan head. I'm sure it would fit a big angled spotting scope. I'll try to get some pics up for you.

ianpadron

WKR
yea i wish i got the sky talus 6900 instead of the 5900. could use the extra 2 pockets on the side
Yep, that is my favorite part. I really like the 7900, but you can do the same exact thing by just not filling one of the pockets on the 6900. I would rather have a bag that opens straight down the middle with a center zip than that horseshoe style on the other SG bags

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk