Tenzing Pack vs. Badlands Pack

If you had to choose between a Badlands pack or a Tenzing pack, what would you choose? Thinking in terms of a size above a day pack, like the 3,000 to 5,000 ci range. Thanks.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Do i have to choose between the 2? Can I add a competitor?

cmeier117

WKR
I saw Kifaru but between the two... If you gave me a few weeks I could answer that. I have a badlands summit pack coming which I hear should be better than there old 4500 which was pretty good.

I think that it is quite obvious he has a price point he is looking to stay at. Kifaru would mean expanding his bank roll, not his horizons.

that said, I have not had a lot of experience with Tenzing, but I had a badlands 2800 for years that I beat the heck out of and it always seemed to be a very very good pack for the money. I was quite pleased.

Joe

I would opt to go with Tenzing between the two. However if it is the carbon fiber frame you are looking at then definitely go with Kifaru. ;)

KMT

WKR
I hunted with the badlands 2800 for about six years and hauled out 7 or 8 elk with it. It will do the job and I never had any problems with it. Just know that when you haul out 80-100 pounds of meat at a time, there are no effective load lifters and the pack can sway quite a bit on you. The tail (pack) will wag the dog (you). Bottom line - built well enough to carry heavy loads, but you won't be comfortable. Comfort is relative when carrying 100 pounds.

Even though my 4500 broke stays (till I reinforced them) I would still go with a Badlands 4500, or if you could drop down in size a bit the 2200.
If you get the 4500 reinforce the stays and you will be much happier. I did not have good experiences with Tenzing.

I have a badlands Hypevent series pack right now which is a great day pack and have looked at the 4500 but really like the TZ5000/TZ6000. Or look at the Stone Glacier Solo 3300ci plus 2100ci expandable with meat shelf. I can't make up my mind.

120lbs in a 2200. They work well for what they are.

86 lbs of pork in this one.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
I have learned that on this forum the answer to that question will be Kifaru. :)

Yep. Me too. Really pleased with the frame and grab-it so far. ship date on the bag is 8/22.

For myself, in answer to the original question, I would go Badlands 2800 because the 2800 fit me better than the 2200 or the TZ5000. Sportsman's W. did not carry the TZ6000 so I haven't tried it on. If all you wanted was a daypack, try the whitetail hybrid. Lots and lots and lots and lots......of pockets. The Sitka pack I tried on without weight felt pretty nice.

sk1

WKR
Tenzing would be my choice I used the tz6000 for a season, I simply can't do badlands, for some reason they don't fit me right and it's torture wearing their packs...

tz 5000, for prob up to 3nites. cant fit enough food with my gear beyond that. tz 2220 for day pack. badlands never worked for me. took all 3 back i tried. the tz 5000 barely fits me and im 5'8'' dont go for the 6000 if your in my range of height. mine is in the small position, load lifters at 45 degree angle. this is my spot to keep off my butt and on my hips. i max out the waist belt to keep it there. i am 160 pounds. the tz 2220 is a lot nicer than the badlands superday. if you buy from cabelas you can always take back, excellent returns......... max packed weight thus far 65 pounds.

just the way it works out..... said 3 nites anyhow not days. that would mean 4 days...... i could do a week if i had more food. that pack is actually like 4600 and can expand to 5600. i try for minimum things on my solo outings but will not use a bivy i use a msr hubba 1 man tent. that really is the only item i bring that is more weight than it could be. my pack currently for that situation is 50 pounds and it kills me. 40 would be more ideal for long hikes. i could add more things due to space available but do not need more stuff nor weight. just that pack is 8 pounds and change, add water 7 pounds with 100 oz bladder, spotter, tri pod camera gear, and minimum clothe food, sleep system, stove etc..... it is full. is what it is..... not sure how to make it less weight, one who has a slower metabolism and less muscle and or cares less of what they eat probly saves weight with different foods and could sustain more time out. food is really my largest consumption of space. so yes i was wrong making that comment. you could stay out there for infinity if you had enough food and a solar panel.

Last edited:

Alphaman77

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2200 and a 2800 and after using a good pack it's hard to go back to them. They both work good and have never failed me. And their customer support has been awesome when parts were needed. But I'm saving now for a better pack and after visiting with Aron I know what I want for sure, just wish momma would see it that way haha. Main problem I had with both was the zippers getting sticky and the buckles aren't the best quality.