Traveling by air with large backpacks

My question is when you travel on an airline and tour using a large pack for a 7 daybackpack hunt, how do you deal with the pack?
Isn’t it too big for a carry on and do you box it up and check it or check it as is??
Thanks

cg2737

WKR
I traveled on United with my Kifaru Fulcrum with 10 days of gear. I packed it as if I were headed out for my hunt and checked my bag. I pulled all the straps tight and secured the loose ends. I had no troubles at all.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just use big trash bags and duct tape them on. I just tear it all off and trash it when I get where I’m going.

FlyGuy

WKR
I have a reckoning. I pull off the extra pockets and such and load it up with my optics.& tripod, camera & lenses, electronics, and anything else I don't want to risk getting banged up and use it as my carry on. The rest I throw in a duffle and check it.
1bd7849f80af3ff907ff8289f475b60c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
Flown several times with a horn hunter full curl. Remove day pack, under the seat ahead of me. Main pack gets the hip belt fastened around the bag and in the overhead. No problems to date.

GPool1842

WKR
I was able to fit MR pintler in large suitcase for checked baggage on way up for snowshoe trip in Washington last month.

Big suitcase bought from SAM’s. If you’re looking for large duffel check out Patagonia Black Hole 120L. North face makes a big one too.

rob86jeep

WKR
Has anyone flown with as a carry on (or been denied) a 26" frame? I've heard a few people say they've done it but I would hate to try and be told it has to be checked at the gate with all my breakables in it.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
No problems so far with a 26" frame. I pack all of my optics in the lid and strap the bag into day mode. Worst case scenario I take the lid off and throw the bag into a contractor bag wrap it a couple of times with duck tape.

Dirk Pitt

FNG
My question is when you travel on an airline and tour using a large pack for a 7 daybackpack hunt, how do you deal with the pack?
Isn’t it too big for a carry on and do you box it up and check it or check it as is??
Thanks

I’ve often thought if I were to fly with mine loaded up I would put it in our car seat bag meant for checking car seats. It’s plenty big and pretty tough. It’s handled several flights with our ~30 lb car seat no problems. They are about $10 at babies r us. Just a big orange bag with a handle and draw string closure. Stuffs into its own stuff sack when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I have a reckoning. I pull off the extra pockets and such and load it up with my optics.& tripod, camera & lenses, electronics, and anything else I don't want to risk getting banged up and use it as my carry on. The rest I throw in a duffle and check it.
1bd7849f80af3ff907ff8289f475b60c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

This

I always try to minimize my carry-on load. I simply don't like lugging a backpack or even a small roller onto a plane. My (empty) MR pack typically goes into a large duffle, and then I pack gear into the duffle and around the empty pack as needed. If something is a tad fragile I just bubble-wrap it before packing. I ALWAYS carry a $30 digital baggage scale on trips and load my bags to just below the airline's limit. I've never had an overweight bag fee doing this.

fwiw: I typically do have a roll-aboard with me when I enter the airport. I go thru normal check-in and baggage drop. When I get to the gate I ask if I can gate-check my roll-aboard to conserve overhead bin space. 95% of the time the agent says "sure!" and they tag it to go all the way to my end destination. It's basically like getting 20+ pounds of free baggage and no hassle. Call me crazy or lucky but that roller usually has my optics, camera, iPad, cords, and plenty of other essential gear. I've never had a problem.

Small day pack with optics, money, license's, camera, range finder and any other important "irreplaceable based on cost" items. Then main pack in a duffle with all my other gear. Stuff my bow case full of clothing.

GotDraw?

WKR
@KevinDill- Brilliant idea!

I always try to minimize my carry-on load. I simply don't like lugging a backpack or even a small roller onto a plane. My (empty) MR pack typically goes into a large duffle, and then I pack gear into the duffle and around the empty pack as needed. If something is a tad fragile I just bubble-wrap it before packing. I ALWAYS carry a $30 digital baggage scale on trips and load my bags to just below the airline's limit. I've never had an overweight bag fee doing this.

fwiw: I typically do have a roll-aboard with me when I enter the airport. I go thru normal check-in and baggage drop. When I get to the gate I ask if I can gate-check my roll-aboard to conserve overhead bin space. 95% of the time the agent says "sure!" and they tag it to go all the way to my end destination. It's basically like getting 20+ pounds of free baggage and no hassle. Call me crazy or lucky but that roller usually has my optics, camera, iPad, cords, and plenty of other essential gear. I've never had a problem.