First timer

KSP277

WKR
First post here that’s not in the FNG section, hope this is the right place.

I’m in the market for a pack, headed to MT in September, 5-7 day backpacking bow hunting elk. The last time I logged any miles with a pack frame it was an ALICE ruck. At the time I didn’t know they sucked. If it wasn’t for the internet I still probably wouldn’t know any different. What I had been eyeballing is a Eberlestock frame/drybag/and transformer pack. Pretty doable in the $400 ball park.

My question is this, how much better is a exo-mystery ranch-kuiu-insert high end pack here??

Money doesn’t grow on trees here but I don’t mind going a little north of that for quality stuff.

If it helps here’s a little info 6’2”, 235ish, known to break things, once bent an “unbendable” spoon but that’s another story, Pretty good shape. Grown up in the woods, haven’t spent much time in the mountains.

Any first hand experience here with similar setup?

Check the classifieds.The brands you've listed are available from time to time on there for not much more than the $400 you mentioned. The high end packs are more useful and comfortable in most circumstances than the mid-range packs.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Packs are kind of like boots... there are several great packs, but what is great for some is not so great for others. I comes down to the best fit for the individual... however, there are some packs out there with inherent design flaws. The angle of the “load lifter straps” is incredibly important once you get weight in it. For that reason I would suggest “going a little north of that for quality stuff”... the other packs you listed are worth looking into. I would also add Kifaru to the list, personally.... if you have the option, find a way to try on as many packs as possible. Throw some weight in them and take a walk around, do some jumping jacks, etc. (They will all probably feel good with 40#, but double the weight and you’ll find your winner.)

Beendare

WKR
Yep, fit is everything

don't buy it without testing it with some weight

Under 6#

Internal frame that doubles as a day pack or meat hauler- 4,000- 6,000cuin

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
I guess what I’m asking is what makes Eberlestock not worth it? How much better does 100-150$ get you? It’s one of the few I’ve been able to try on. Seems worlds better than an Alice ruck frame. That’s in a store setting tho.

I’m not set on it, but I had almost pulled the trigger on the Eberlestock until I started reading around on here. Seems like the opinion here is that there’s much better options. In my inexperienced mind it seems like it’d be a good set up. I’m trying to see why it’s so low on the list and what I’m not seeing in these higher end packs that makes them such a better choice

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I'd wear an ALICE before i wear alot of the cheaper hunting packs. Save up your money for an exo, kifaru, or SG.

WRO

WKR
I guess what I’m asking is what makes Eberlestock not worth it? How much better does 100-150$ get you? It’s one of the few I’ve been able to try on. Seems worlds better than an Alice ruck frame. That’s in a store setting tho.

I’m not set on it, but I had almost pulled the trigger on the Eberlestock until I started reading around on here. Seems like the opinion here is that there’s much better options. In my inexperienced mind it seems like it’d be a good set up. I’m trying to see why it’s so low on the list and what I’m not seeing in these higher end packs that makes them such a better choice
I had one for a while, I don't any more and that's not an accident.

I had the dragonfly j107, it was heavy, sweaty, and loaded I felt like a ****ing ninja turtle trying to navigate trails and the woods.

Gun scabbard was nice though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
The Eberlestock is a well built tank that is crazy heavy and built for the torso of a 5’6” individual, has zero load lifters to take the weight off your shoulders and place it on your hips. I had a blue widow once, my arms constantly went numb with that thing. I’ve been using Kifaru ever since and have never had a numb arm, packing heavier weights feels more comfortable all around and the pack is also built like a tank but at almost half the weight and is designed to adjust to your torso and body type.

I had an eberlestock and aside from it weighing a ton, the load lifters never worked (For me).

Fyi mystery ranch has it's marshall pack w/ light frame for 499 on their website closeout or camofire off and on for maybe even less.

If you have to stay under 400 the horn hunter full curl is light years better than anything I've had from eberlestock and you'll have $$$ left over. There's been some crazy deals on good packs in the classifieds also.

All that said if I needed a pack in the $400 range and was completely unbiased in regards to brand loyalty I'd be looking really hard at seek outsides line up.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
Thanks for feedback. I’m gonna have to get somewhere I can put my hands on some of the others then. Closest thing I think I have to me is REI Nashville

Thanks for feedback. I’m gonna have to get somewhere I can put my hands on some of the others then. Closest thing I think I have to me is REI Nashville
I live about 2 hours north of Nashville. I have a Kifaru pack and frame you are more than welcome to try on if you wanted to meet somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
I live about 2 hours north of Nashville. I have a Kifaru pack and frame you are more than welcome to try on if you wanted to meet somewhere.

Generous offer and something that could really help you out and save you money trying other packs. Best way to figure out if a pack is for you, is hands on experience.

AdamW

WKR
Lots of discussion in the Backpacks subforum, but I agree with the consensus here. You can do a lot of work with a cheaper pack, lots of guys have. But when you get in to spending more than a couple hundred bucks on a pack, it's worth it to go for a better pack IMO. I'm from the midwest and I have never for a minute regretted spending the money on a Kifaru out of their Rhino Den clearance section.

The best advice Rokslide has given me on gear is to get a good pack, boots that fit and maybe Leukotape. :D I didn't use any of my hunting gear on my first hunt out west but I used my pack and my boots every day.

It's pretty difficult to put your hands on the different brands or really get to try them out. At some point you just have to jump and if it doesn't work out, you're not losing a bunch of money. If I were you, I'd figure out what size in each pack frame and waist belt I was for the different makers (e.g. I'm 6'-0" and wear 32-34 waist pants so I'm a 26" Kifaru frame w/ a small belt) and keep my eyes on the classifieds for a used pack. I started with Kifaru, a buddy with Mystery Ranch; we both love our packs. If we had switched, we'd probably be at the same opinion. The difference between Kifaru and MR or Exo for you may be small, but the difference between those and a lower quality pack is probably huge. Kind of like optics.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've got a dusty Eberlestock X1A1 Euro that you can compare it to if you'd like as well. I'll bring a 70# sand bag, and you'll feel the distance.

Beendare

WKR

there are some Mtn packs that are darn good especially for the $$....most folks tend to like the hunt specific packs....and I would agree.

The hunting shows typically have the hunt pack guys there. Some outfits will send you a pack and they have a good return policy [essential] I know MR is one of them.

There is a great community here willing to let you try their gear....I have personally taken advantage of that [Thanks go out to Aron Snyder!] and its a great way to experience the different products.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
That’s great offer may take you up on that, I’ll shoot you a pm, I’m 2 1/2 hr north west of Nashville.