Mystery ranch Mule or Pop up?

blueevil

FNG
Hi all,

I’m from Australia and this is my first post here.

As I’m mostly hunting from the truck so looking at buying a day back with meat hauling ability. The Badlands Diablo I’m currently using just not very comfortable after loaded up with meat.

After some research I have my eyes on MR Mule or Pop Up 18/28. As I have zero chance to actually try these bags before buying, I just want to ask a few questions to the experienced guys here:

My understanding is the Mule is using the Guide Light Frame which is shared by most other MR bags therefore potentially could be reuse if MR decided to make more bag only options available? Pop up on the other hand use a new frame which may or may not have more support?

Am I right to say that the Mule can do everything Pop up can do and maybe a bit more?

While I’m almost sure the pop up will do everything I want. I couldn’t stop thinking if I should just pay a bit more to get the mule so maybe in the future I will get a different bag etc.

Thanks in advance!

I have a pop up 28 and a crew cab. Crew cab is like a mule with a couple of other pockets and on the military nice frame.

Both are great packs. I can’t say I have really tested out the pop up yet but my impressions are that it is a really good compact day Pack. I am sure it would be fine to haul 60-70 pounds on occasion. The pop up is a really specialized pack though. Really a day Pack that can haul in a pinch.

If I were doing a lot of hauling or looking for something more versatile I would say go mule. It will haul more weight and do it better than the pop up. You can also buy bags from MR or used to get more function down the road. You add 2-3 pounds and it is not as compact but it offers a lot more options than the pop up.

OP
B

blueevil

FNG
Thanks for your advice!

Its hard to find a review for mule, the pop up seem to be more popular.

muddydogs

WKR
When I was looking last year I looked at the mule but 1400 cubic inches isn't very big at all and I was afraid I would always be using the load shelf for clothes and gear. I picked up the Cabinet and i'm glad I did as the 2700 cu-in bag is about right for day hunting with room for a jacket when temps warm. I'm used to the Cabinets side pockets at this point but I wonder if I would have liked the Pintler bag a little better. Its something to think about when dropping this amount of cash on a pack. If your hauling loads a lot the Cabinet is easier to use and less modification needed to haul with it as the bag doesn't need to be undone to open up the load shelf.

Buckled are different and since the pop up doesn’t support the bag by that sleeve The way the guidelight frame does that bag will probably be a sloppy fit after you take th buckles off He popup and swap them onto the mule bag

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
Buckled are different and since the pop up doesn’t support the bag by that sleeve The way the guidelight frame does that bag will probably be a sloppy fit after you take th buckles off He popup and swap them onto the mule bag

good to know... I gues I will just build me a bag …... thanks for the info:)