Looking for multi-use daypack

Cranman

FNG
I'm looking for a pack in the 1500 - 2000 cubic inch size that I can use as a daypack for the mountains or Midwest woods and also as a carry-on bag while traveling. I've been looking into Mystery Ranch, Badlands, Horn Hunter, etc. I want a tough cordura style fabric, waist belt, and side water bottle pouches. I really like the looks of the MR Pop Up 28, but there are a ton of options out there. Let me know what you have that works. Thanks!

tems908

FNG
My Kifaru X-ray is my go to for everything from EDC to travel to day hiking and hunting. You could add a belt and it would be a great multi-use pack for you.

I got myself a mystery ranch scapegoat 25. it's not perfect, but I like it. The annoying thing about it is the compression straps on the side aren't in logical places.
The side pockets are obviously going to be used foremost for water bottles, but the low compression strap is so low that it squeezes the bottle out of the pocket, and the high one is a bit too high. I replaced the upper tensionlock with a kifaru slotted buckle, which allows me to clip it through a nalgene cap loop and secure it. That works awesome, and I'll do the other side shortly.
If the popup was available when I bought, I'd have probably gone with that.

i would highly recommend an exo 2000 or 3500 i know the 3500 is bigger than you said but it is very light and packs down incredibly small if you only pack what you need plus its hydration compatible has excellent meat hauling capability and the exo 2000 3500 and 5500 are all interchangeable on the same frame if you want to ad or downsize later. cordura fabric side stretch pockets comfortable hip belt lifetime warranty and made in boise idaho. best packs on the market imho

OP
C

Cranman

FNG
I have an Exo 2000 and 3500. To meet carry on requirements it needs to be 22" tall or under. I looked at the scapegoat also but I think that was 26".

frankrb3

WKR
I've gotten a few spring shed hunts in with my new Kifaru 22 magnum and I like it a lot. It's at the large end for what you're looking for but it still meets carry-on criteria. I have it on the 22" tactical frame. Biggest down side is cost.

OP
C

Cranman

FNG
The Avail wasn't even on my radar. I really like the looks of it. Are the side pockets deep enough to hold a water bottle securely?

Most of these packs are setup to be compatible with using a water bladder. Pack makers finally heard 30 years of backpackers complaint that they couldn’t reach the pockets on the side very well while wearing the pack. Given that the water bottle in a pocket that’s hard to reach is already a compromise, a lot of packs don’t have side pockets that are optimized for water bottle carry, leaving it to the end user to outfit the pack with either a bladder or an aftermarket water bottle pouch that they can then secure to the pack somewhere convenient. The pop up 28 holds water bottles real well, in addition to supporting a water bladder and hose ie camelback type system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cranman

FNG
Thanks, I was just going to the classifieds to look at that ad for the aftermarket nalgene bottle holder. I just prefer the bottle over the bladder

Lots of good options. I've used several day size packs, but the one I've used the most and compare everything else to is a TAD Gear FAST pack EDC. I bought it 11 years ago and it's still kicking. It's been used for absolutely everything from simple hiking, alpine climbs, hauling radios/ammo/grenades over seas, day hunts, and it still gets used weekly for bicycle commuting to work. It's been used frequently and hard.. this is not a pack that only comes out a few times a year.
They've changed the design on these some over the years but they are still the same basic design.
It's got a 'transporter tail' which works great to haul a rifle, snowshoes, or other long items. I like that the bladder section is protected and doesnt bulge into your back, or into the main compartment too much. It's heavy, but it's lasted a long time and to me that's worth it.

Other notable mentions for me: Lightfighter RAID, Kifaru Marauder, and Kifaru X-Ray, GoRuck GR1 (built well, but minimal features)

RAPTOR

WKR
The Avail wasn't even on my radar. I really like the looks of it. Are the side pockets deep enough to hold a water bottle securely?

Yep, the side "pocket" which is really kind of just a holder, will fit a rod tube, or a nalgene and you can strap it down. There's also two internal sleeve type pockets on each side that will hold a bottle, or you can put the hydro sleeve in and run a bladder. It's hit all the needs and wants for me in a daypack, and I'm picky as hell. I've also beat the shit out of it and it's like new.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m also in the market for a nice day pack since my packs are all larger. This past year I’ve just been using a kifaru native as my day pack and it works well but obviously you aren’t going to haul anything with it. I’ve been checking out the SG avail and now I’m looking at some of those other day packs from SG that fit on the frame, that seems cool because if I go out for caribou on a Saturday I could still haul it out in relative comfort but still just carry a small pack.

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
Will the avail take any pals/molle pouches? ie. water bottle holders on the belt and gps pouch on suspension shoulder strap.

This one checks a lot of boxes.

Jason

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm looking for a pack in the 1500 - 2000 cubic inch size that I can use as a daypack for the mountains or Midwest woods and also as a carry-on bag while traveling. I've been looking into Mystery Ranch, Badlands, Horn Hunter, etc. I want a tough cordura style fabric, waist belt, and side water bottle pouches. I really like the looks of the MR Pop Up 28, but there are a ton of options out there. Let me know what you have that works. Thanks!

I would look into the Avail 2200. I use that for a carry on for airplanes, when we travel for show season, day hunts, to the goose blind, fishing. I use it for just about everything. I have the ascent 12 and using them both I would have to say the Avail is way more comfortable and quiet. I do use it white tail hunting at our ranch is Nebraska as well. Or if you don't like it and you have kids, it is a great pack for them to use also. Also the SG 3300 is a great day bag as well and comes with a load shelf rated for 150lbs. That's a great day bag as well.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Kifaru spike camp with a grabit (2300 I believe). Doesnt have a big frame for heavy loads but can carry enough in the grabit for the first one. Ive used it and carried meat twice. Really like how it doesnt have the bulky frame for day hunts. There are so many options it can be a tough choice. I personally couldnt find a do all pack that I liked. At least not yet.