Pull-outs and organizing your pack

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
With my newly aquired MR Metcalf I have been looking at some accessories for the pack, mainly pull outs and organizers. I know Kifaru has some good ones and I have looked some mountain laurel designs ones as well. What do you guys yours or suggest? Any other accessories you have found particularly useful?

I like Kifaru. I have a mix of lighter and heavier weight. Kill kit, emergency kit, tree stand harness get this treatment. Some other stuff goes loose in REI stuff sacks. Simple, cheap and light. I tend to carry one stuff sack in a very high contrast color for signaling.

I also have an OR outdoor organizer. Love that thing. I keep first aid, repair and other small nick knacks in it.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
Granite gear air zippsack and air pocket and air zippditty are siliconized nylon, just like the big pack brands, but WAY cheaper. The air zippditty even have waterproof zipper. I organize literally everything in all different sizes of these. Went Amazon so I could figure out sizes and return and reorder for free

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure why I sold my stone glacier pockets. Even if I didn’t have their pack to attach them on the inside to essentially become an internal pocket if desired I would buy them again. Swing out pocket was just right for first aid. One camp pocket for all the odds and ends, another for my kill kit. I like the zipper being at the top instead of down the middle. Camp pockets have some structure creating some depth up top so they zip up easily over bulky items.

Other organizers I like is a 20 liter dry bag (sea to summit model with the event bottom). Big enough to easily fit a puffy jacket and pants and it doesn’t expand back out like a standard dry bag. It’s also oval shaped instead of circular so it doesn’t create as much wasted empty space around it. Any other organization needs is ziplocks for me.

Mac7

WKR
I use Kifaru pullouts and various stuff sacks. Also have some dry bags(OR) and compression sacks(Granite Gear) I use.

tttoadman

WKR
Sea to Summit 4L bags for kill kit and stove.
OR 10L dry bags for food and rain gear.
I bought the SG hydro sleeve to put in my terminus bag to use for important stuff like waterfilter gloves food other quick access stuff not to lose in the bottom of the bag.

I will add Kifaru chamber pockets to the mix. They are really small. I use one for my possibles pouch and another gets my first aid kit. They are just thrown in loose. I am considering cutting the sliders off.

Last edited:
I have Kifaru ultra lights, Luxe hiking gears ultra lights, and I’ve made some of my own, etc. they all work great. From what I’ve seen and made, Kifaru medium is about perfect to House all the small kits one uses. Seek outsides 1.5 liter would be a good one too.

Eagle creek makes some nice rectangular ones, different sizes and colors. I think a three pack costs about as much as a single Kifaru pullout.

NDGuy

WKR
I used the MR zoid bags, work well enough for me. The only downside to the Metcalf is it's one big compartment outside of the lid. That's why those pullouts are nice. I use the zoid bags for my knives, snacks, and other small items so they don't get lost in my clothes and whatnot stuffed in there.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is what I use:
Stone Glacier Camp Pocket
https://www.stoneglacier.com/collections/accessories/products/camp-pocket

A variety of bags for different uses from Outdoor Research
The Backcountry Organizer is one I have been using for many years...
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/backcountry-organizer-1/p/2427070042222

The Zip Sack holds a kill kit
Zip Sack Medium - alloy/pewter | Outdoor Research

I also have one of the Kifaru UL zip pockets.
Ultralight Pullouts – Kifaru Intl. Online Store
These and the Stone Glacier are great because you can see through them.
Saw a lot of intriguing pouches on Kifaru's site when I was looking to find the link.

Another favorite is ZipLoc Freezer bags. Quart size and gallon size being the two I use the most. They are decently durable, water proof, and see through.

willidru

WKR
I have some of the Kifaru which are nice, but I also bought a few of the Kuiu hip belt pouches when they were in the outlet for $1 each. I put kill kit (havalon, gloves, survey tape ...) in one that way I can just take the pouch out and put on my belt if I'm hiking down to the animal to break it down.

Zip lock bag. Quart and Gallon size. I can see what's in them. They're cheap, waterproof and most important they are dual purpose. Don't over think it.

MattB

WKR
Ziplocks have to be replaced frequently or they tend to puke their contents. I prefer the Kifaru ultralights. You can see much of what is in there but the durability is worlds better. I've been dragging the same one around for a decade or more.

Zip lock bag. Quart and Gallon size. I can see what's in them. They're cheap, waterproof and most important they are dual purpose. Don't over think it.

I use these too. I also just got some jimmy tarps sil poly stuff sacks. $30 a set.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Been using some Walmart red and blue pencil bags for littler stuff. 97 cents a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much use only CF for all my gear organization. I have an assortment of different size CF roll top dry bags from MLD, Zpacks, and HMG, and also some smaller CF zippered bags from Zpacks, MLD, and a MYOG CF cube that I put my kill kit in. All in all, they're not the cheapest route to go, but they keep everything bone dry, even if I leave them out in the rain, and they weigh practically nothing.