Zipper lubrication

TheCougar

WKR
My pack just got really dusty over the weekend and my zippers are tough to pull. Any recommendations on lube? Silicone, graphite, McNett? I am hesitant to add any oil or wax based lube because they typically attract dirt.

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
Wash the bag then use candle or beeswax. Those waxes are not really sticky to the point of attracting dirt.

530Chukar

WKR
I’ve had good luck with the silicone spray. It doesn’t leave a residue and dries fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t drop the soap!!!

No seriously. I used soap on my moms advice whenever I was a little kid and the hood on my jacket wouldn’t zip up- and neither dirt nor zippper nor soap technology has advanced to the point of rendering it obsolete as zipper lube.

Otherwise- wait’ll it rains and it’ll rinse the dust out nicely and your good. But if your hunt isn’t Long enough to wait for the rain to rinse you off- keep that zipper handle and pull flat in orientation with the coil- and keep that pull straight instead of torquing it right or left as you go and it’ll work. I was lucky enough to get a ton of Practice around Owens Valley and those mountains they keep alongside it when I was young in the summer so that when it got that way in Afghanistan and Iraq I could still get my zippers undone. Those snaps will give you hell though.
Keep it clean homey.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
back in the day, we would just "write" on the zipper with a lead pencil. this was in grade school when i had crap zippers.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've had some success using aerosol cans of air (like you'd use to clean a computer keyboard) to blow sand and silt out of tent zippers. It works best if you do it before you apply anything to it... Then we use mcnett's zipper lube.

This is for tents and shelters we've used camping on glacial sandbars. Eventually nothing worked, and we had the zippers replaced. Silt is really tough on zippers with repeated exposure.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks fellas. The pack will obviously get a good cleaning and I might try a little experiment and run a different lube on a few zippers to see what works best in the long run. Soap, wax, graphite, and mcnetts should do the trick.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
PB Blaster Teflon spray from an auto parts store does a good job, and doesn't seem to pick up dirt IME. I keep a can in my truck tool box and use it for lots of stuff, not just zippers.

For the record, McNett zipper lubes are silicone-free. Don't ask me why. I use their zipper lube and it does a great job.

boom

WKR
PB Blaster Teflon spray from an auto parts store does a good job, and doesn't seem to pick up dirt IME. I keep a can in my truck tool box and use it for lots of stuff, not just zippers.

while i love PB blaster..that stuff is so smelly!! i am half nose-blind and i can smell it!! you dont worry about perfuming your hunting pack?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
while i love PB blaster..that stuff is so smelly!! i am half nose-blind and i can smell it!! you dont worry about perfuming your hunting pack?

NOT PB Blaster, PB Blaster Teflon spray.

PB Blaster = soak a rusty bolt for 3 days before trying to loosen.

Teflon spray = zippers