Seek Outside Saker, coming soon...

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I ordered mine this morning, but forgot about the new mountain mat.

Get one, free ship under $100. Can drop a comment to ship with your other order if you want. It's pretty awesome, I've been using a precursor for a while.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
For those who have had the Brooks is it truly as versatile as it seems? Any regrets?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Eva doesn't absorb water like an open cell. There are pores in the foam though.

I'd put it this way - for its' intended purpose as a ground sheet it is effectively waterproof. If you try to force water through it with a pressure washer or by carrying water with it then you may be able to do so.

Even tyvek isn't "waterproof". It has pores as well and acts as a vapor barrier.

Trial153

WKR
Cant wait to get the mat, like that idea much better then the tyvak i been using

Dkd

FNG
For those who have had the Brooks is it truly as versatile as it seems? Any regrets?

I got mine last July. Took me a bit to wrap my head around it but I love it! That being said if you run a day pack a lot you may find something in that line more practical. But if you want versatile 1 go to then I say this is it. You can leave a few seldom/just in case items in the main bag and still compress down to a compact day pack. Lot of complaints about gatekeepers but little getting used to and they are super easy and versatile. I do think the change to a 24” frame is smart for those using it as a day pack setup, little less height will allow for better motion. The only thing I’m having a challenge with is running a bladder, I use the Platypus and it doesn’t like hanging compact at the top and squeaks from the suspension tab. I thought it was the frame but it’s the bladder hanging.
Do wish SO would add a mid hang point in the side pockets since they are so long. Would help distribute grab bags and keep it all from dropping to bottom. Not convinced of break away bag, had 2 Kuiu and they were a pain, load gets to far out. Just bag it and and throw it in that GIANT center bag.

Leebob

FNG

I have very limited use with mine but no regrets so far. Without ever having seen a Saker in the flesh I would guess it may be more awkward to keep compressed into day pack mode when used for breakaway carry. I’m guessing all the compression would have to go around the load back to the frame??

I cannot imagine having a full or nearly full main bag in breakaway mode behind a heavy or bulky load on the load shelf. It would be really tail heavy.

The new Brooks, optimized for 24” will give better mobility in daypack mode, but if they shortened the main bag and pockets to do it, it would decrease the volume in the pockets.

Like I said, I have not seen a Saker in person, but’s these are the questions I would ask. So far the original Brooks is very functional and versatile for me the way it is. My only misgiving might be I can’t change out to something like the Peregrine without a Revo frame. I don’t think there’s anything comparable in the integrated line.

Eva doesn't absorb water like an open cell. There are pores in the foam though.

I'd put it this way - for its' intended purpose as a ground sheet it is effectively waterproof. If you try to force water through it with a pressure washer or by carrying water with it then you may be able to do so.

Even tyvek isn't "waterproof". It has pores as well and acts as a vapor barrier.

Thanks rockchucker, I currently use a tyvek sheet but my pad slides around on it so bad because it’s so slick. I was wondering if the mountain mat is really slick as well or if it might do better at preventing my pad from sliding off of it?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks rockchucker, I currently use a tyvek sheet but my pad slides around on it so bad because it’s so slick. I was wondering if the mountain mat is really slick as well or if it might do better at preventing my pad from sliding off of it?

Definitely better on the sliding issue. The pad grips the ground and won't slide easily unless you're on pine needles or something. Pads will sink just a tiny bit into the foam, so it will help keep them in place better. It'll still move some, but will be much better than tyvek.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The new Brooks, optimized for 24” will give better mobility in daypack mode, but if they shortened the main bag and pockets to do it, it would decrease the volume in the pockets.

My only misgiving might be I can’t change out to something like the Peregrine without a Revo frame. I don’t think there’s anything comparable in the integrated line.

Brooks is the same size, just optimized for a 24".

To change a Brooks to a Peregrine, you'd need a frame panel and a Peregrine packbag only.

https://seekoutside.com/revolution-frame-panel/
https://seekoutside.com/peregrine-3500-pack-bag-only/

Breakaway carry I think has more usefulness or utility in a smaller packbag than in a big one like a Brooks. With breakaway carry the Peregrine can be a fairly small daypack that can still easily carry a bone in quarter. With a packbag as big as the Brooks you can do the same thing without breakaway carry.

Not to say that breakaway carry isn't useful in a big packbag, just saying that maybe it's more of a "nice to have" or even a necessity in a smaller bag.

texag10

WKR

Putting some sil net (the same stuff SO sends to seam seal their shelters) in a cross cross pattern on the tyvek will mitigate the pass sliding around.

Mine is showing it will be here Tuesday. It’s funny I was a little confused when ordering. I am assuming because we have the breakaway feature we don’t get the internal meat shelf. But unsure the description was not clear. Also do we get the two swing out pockets like you do with the brooks. Anyone know? Maybe rockchucker30 can chime in just curious

sndmn11

WKR
The internal shelf attachment point are included. The accessory pockets are as well.

I just opened mine up, and it has more tabs for the gatekeepers than I expected. The load shelf and pockets are included, the load shelf a little bit of a surprise. I just ordered the bag to go on my existing frame, but overall my initial impressions are better than I had hoped.