Using a dry bag in place of a pack.

OP
AK Troutbum
Looks sweet. Great job. That setup is exactly what I'm looking for as well.

Did you ever consider switching out the buckles for gatekeepers?

I think I’ll just keep it as is and see how this works. My biggest reason for doing it was just to reduce the pack wt. while keeping the cost down as much as possible and keeping it simple. We’re going on a little 2 day hike with it on Friday to test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, how timely. I ordered the Zpacks Airline Bag last week to substitute for my Fortress 4800 bag on my Revolution frame from Seek Outside. We'll see how it works out on the Revolution, but that setup looks awesome!

mtnhmr

FNG
Hi;

I realize CF is the way to go, however the cost may be prohibitive for some and sought out another option:

S2S Ultra-Sil Pack Liner: Medium (70L) 98g - made out of 30D ultra sil (cordura).

Thoughts or experiences (water resistance) in using Ultra Sil or SilNylon for the same application?

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’ll just keep it as is and see how this works. My biggest reason for doing it was just to reduce the pack wt. while keeping the cost down as much as possible and keeping it simple. We’re going on a little 2 day hike with it on Friday to test it out.

Can we get an update on your packbag?

OP
AK Troutbum
All packed up and ready to go sheep hunting, just waiting for a break in the weather. We took the pack on an overnighter hike a couple weeks ago and it worked out great. Time for the real test.
f20637e9c928fea2408908b400fd4e69.jpg

192d17cdd42c0e913172ff63323ad024.jpg

29a1a2804501953b3027de47fbd4110d.jpg

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
All packed up and ready to go sheep hunting, just waiting for a break in the weather. We took the pack on an overnighter hike a couple weeks ago and it worked out great. Time for the real test.
f20637e9c928fea2408908b400fd4e69.jpg

192d17cdd42c0e913172ff63323ad024.jpg

29a1a2804501953b3027de47fbd4110d.jpg

How was the hunt and how did the packbag perform!?

OP
AK Troutbum
How was the hunt and how did the packbag perform!?

Everything performed flawlessly. The pack held up very well and we put it through some pretty serious bushwhacking (about 4 miles worth after it was all said and done).
b14a757ffd7ac6a4e5e95a02d50c3e47.jpg

a2d3a1cb9581d8f5d0b83a1547fd505e.png

a27a808cbbc0e488ee6016b411bed6de.jpg

66de2e74f80961ca15ec360870d33929.jpg

Rokwiia

WKR
Wow, great adventure, great plane, and great solution. Are you considering adopting anyone? I'm available!

How do you carry water with the CF setup? I don't see any external pouches.

OP
AK Troutbum
His water bag was loaded on the meat shelf and clipped to the carry handle of the frame, then just sandwiched between the frame and CF bag. You can see the tube coming down on the right side of his chest.
a958a1af2feb4e3c95e3376adb8aef81.jpg

duchntr

WKR
Dude digging the pack but lets hear more about that hunt! Congrats on the successful trip with your son, you must be very proud.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
Here's what I've come up with for my roll top modification. Base pack is a Seek Outside Revolution frame with the Fortress 4800 pack bag. Swapped bags with the Zpacks airline case. I don't think I'm going to modify the Zpacks bag at all. . . as the talon system on the Revolution frame keeps things nice and tight. Most importantly, however, is I save 15.5 oz in my base pack weight. That's a significant savings to still be able to take my load hauling frame into the back country! Pics below:
Fortress 4800 next to Zpacks Airline Bag IMG-4546.jpg
Fortress 4800 Weight 1lb 1.5 oz IMG-4547.jpg
Zpacks Bag Weight 3oz IMG-4548.jpg
Zpacks Bag loaded with pillows IMG-4549.jpg
Zpacks Bag loaded with pillows profile IMG-4550.jpg

4ester

WKR
What your describing is already available (see Stone Glacier Minimalist). Although not Cuben Fiber. It is simply the frame plus the load cell dry bag (and buckle kit). 34 bucks, plus buckle kit @ 4.5 ounces.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
What your describing is already available (see Stone Glacier Minimalist). Although not Cuben Fiber. It is simply the frame plus the load cell dry bag (and buckle kit). 34 bucks, plus buckle kit @ 4.5 ounces.

Those dimensions and volume of the SG Load Cell dry bag didn't work as well for me. . . the lack of a Dyneema option sorta sealed the deal.

4ester

WKR
Those dimensions and volume of the SG Load Cell dry bag didn't work as well for me. . . the lack of a Dyneema option sorta sealed the deal.

Yeah I could see it not being quite large enough for some, but a good option none the less. And plenty strong as mine has held two deboned elk quarters many times.

OP
AK Troutbum

Not really. The loadcell bag is quite a bit smaller than Zpacks airplane bag. The airplane bag is roughly the same size as the Sky 5900 without the lid. Of course the airplane bag is also completely waterproof and with a few modifications it can be used in combination with the meat shelf. The loadcell bag was designed to be used on the meat shelf. My main reason for doing this up this way was to be able to load the airplane bag up and also have the availability of using the meat shelf as well.

Rokwiia

WKR
Not really. The loadcell bag is quite a bit smaller than Zpacks airplane bag. The airplane bag is roughly the same size as the Sky 5900 without the lid. Of course the airplane bag is also completely waterproof and with a few modifications it can be used in combination with the meat shelf. The loadcell bag was designed to be used on the meat shelf. My main reason for doing this up this way was to be able to load the airplane bag up and also have the availability of using the meat shelf as well.

What modifications are needed? Why couldn't I remove the Fortress bag and simply load the airplane bag on the meat shelf and cinch everything down using the Talon and top lid??