Using a dry bag in place of a pack.

Mike7

WKR
Sounds like you know what you want. Why not have Pods8 sew one up for you exactly how you want it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I never thought about that, and will keep that in mind.

I guess that I have been kind of making a prototype as I go (from what is in my head), and starting off with a durable waterproof dry bag as the main compartment, is a cheap way to go. I think that it would be kind of hard to explain to someone else from scratch what I want in order to have it all sewn at once without some sort of a template being prepared first. I had thought about getting a Stone Glacier pack previously and then modifying it to my liking since it already has the frame connections, but I am not a fan of that much grey and it would be a little hard for me maybe to hack up a perfectly good pack.

mfolch

WKR
I have given this a lot of thought for a number of reasons, but essentially almost all of my hunting is spike camp hunting, and I hate carrying a big bag and frame. No matter how compressed the bag is, it feels heavy, cumbersome, and awkward, sticking out over my ears and in my peripheral vision.

What I have been doing is carrying in one big framed pack in and a separate pack for hunting. hat adds up to about 14lbs just in backpack. I thought it would be great to carry in a cuben fiber/dcf roll-top stuff sack instead of the extra daypack, switch out the big pack, and use the stuff sack with the frame for a minimalist day-hunting pack.

But as another commentator said, cuben fiber is really loud, so I always nixed the plan and lugged in two packs on every hunt.

Until I discovered Hyperlite Mountain Gear's cuber fiber stuff sacks. The material HMG uses for the cuben fiber stuff sacks softens with use, so that it's no louder than an OR stuff sack, but lighter, more durable, just as waterproof, and grey (which at least I would like to imagine should work for hunting). I used these for hiking, and after a week they seem pretty usable for hunting. I imagine 30 minutes in a drier would soften the material even more. Their extra-large roll-tops are 2700ci (about the size of a perfect winter-worthy daypack), weighs two ounces, can be used as a pack liner or stuff sack for a sleeping bag, and costs $75 (reasonable for cuben fiber/dcf). I'm giving it try this year.

mtnhmr

FNG
"...Hyperlite Mountain Gear's cuber fiber stuff sacks."

The only issue I see is the the durability with lighter CF material they use in comparison to a 3.3oz CF/Poly. I have and use the HPG stuff sacks/pods/dry bags and I need to be cautious with heavier use/wear/tear. Just some feedback on the durability of their interior items if someone plans to use as an exterior bag.

EDIT: Looking at the HPG website - they have a Stuff Pack which is 4.5oz for 30L backpack. I like dual purpose items... especially when you consider leap-frogging loads; a roll top pack with straps should be more comfortable/free hands after you drop your meat load.

Last edited:
OP
AK Troutbum
So I just got the Zpacks CF dry bag and went ahead and compared it to the SG Sky 5900. Here are a few pictures of both bags filled with the exact same number and size of pillows. Initially when I filled up the CF bag, I took some measurements and, according to my calculations it came in right around 4000 in.³. Obviously the lid is not on the SG bag and the front pocket is empty, so not an exact apples to apples comparison but pretty close. The bag is 1.43 oz/yard CF, and I feel that it’s plenty durable. I think I’m going to be very happy with this dry bag in place of the pack. I’m going to take it to a seamstress and have some buckles sewn on the bottom so I can hook it right up to the SG frame.
04b3d211edbfd6995edcaf01a70896e6.jpg

5d1a8e9f013a5a410241791e644f35d4.heic

55226e05d778c6232f68f424380c3ad5.heic

07c9a660c27904465a4fe52aebc808cf.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
My elk hunting crew and I lash dry bags to pack frames, not for weight savings, but because we hunt in a rain forest. It's a perfect way to keep what you need dry and be able to haul back a full load.

I have run the numbers of having a drop out base camp/spike bag for my backcountry deer hunts but it ended up adding too much weight for my taste. I wasn't using cuban fiber though. I like cuban fiber a lot, but it's fragile.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Jeffh0214

FNG
Seek Outside has been dabbling in the hunting/UL territory for quite some time. Nonetheless, I like how the hunting mindset continues to bring weight into the equation. Pretty soon we’ll all be posting links to our lighterpacks like the thru-hiking/UL crowd.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did this a couple years ago with my Barney's frame. I would pack in with their bag and then use an OR dry sack for a day pack on the frame. It was handy as all get out except I went through a dry sack per hunt. Where it would rub on the frame, I wore through every time. Tried all sorts of combinations of strap and rope but I could never get all the movement out of it. I'd imagine on the SG frame it would have more surface area for contact, therefore not the specific rub points that my freighter had.

Loved it for being light and waterproof, awesome setup. Good luck man!

superA

WKR
Seek Outside has been dabbling in the hunting/UL territory for quite some time. Nonetheless, I like how the hunting mindset continues to bring weight into the equation. Pretty soon we’ll all be posting links to our lighterpacks like the thru-hiking/UL crowd.

The SO Divide and Gila look like a real nice option for thru hiking with a well built external frame. Which I prefer to internal UL.

ohoopee

WKR
Funny,
I was thinking about picking up the Kifaru KU bag with damage to fabric that was on another site and having it
fit with a Cuben bag.

Rokwiia

WKR
The SO Divide and Gila look like a real nice option for thru hiking with a well built external frame. Which I prefer to internal UL.

No question these are both excellent choices for a thru hike. The Divide provides an additional 1,000ci space for a 2oz ding. In my opinion, the comfort of using either of these two compared to a Zpacks Arc Haul Zip would be significant when carrying more weight in certain stretches of a thru hike.

I have an original ZPacks Zero Blast that I use on day hikes and an occasional overnight. It is spectacular for that purpose.

Rokwiia

WKR
So I just got the Zpacks CF dry bag and went ahead and compared it to the SG Sky 5900. Here are a few pictures of both bags filled with the exact same number and size of pillows. Initially when I filled up the CF bag, I took some measurements and, according to my calculations it came in right around 4000 in.³. Obviously the lid is not on the SG bag and the front pocket is empty, so not an exact apples to apples comparison but pretty close. The bag is 1.43 oz/yard CF, and I feel that it’s plenty durable. I think I’m going to be very happy with this dry bag in place of the pack. I’m going to take it to a seamstress and have some buckles sewn on the bottom so I can hook it right up to the SG frame.
5d1a8e9f013a5a410241791e644f35d4.heic
I'd love to get a Zpacks dry bag like pictured above WITH water bottle pouches on either side. That would be a fantastic option when doing a day excursion with a A SO Revolution. Off with the SO bag and on with the featherweight Zpacks dry bag.

I wonder if that's the type work that Pods8 does?

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR

No question these are both excellent choices for a thru hike. The Divide provides an additional 1,000ci space for a 2oz ding. In my opinion, the comfort of using either of these two compared to a Zpacks Arc Haul Zip would be significant when carrying more weight in certain stretches of a thru hike.

I have an original ZPacks Zero Blast that I use on day hikes and an occasional overnight. It is spectacular for that purpose.

ohoopee

WKR
I did this a couple years ago with my Barney's frame. I would pack in with their bag and then use an OR dry sack for a day pack on the frame. It was handy as all get out except I went through a dry sack per hunt. Where it would rub on the frame, I wore through every time. Tried all sorts of combinations of strap and rope but I could never get all the movement out of it. I'd imagine on the SG frame it would have more surface area for contact, therefore not the specific rub points that my freighter had.

Loved it for being light and waterproof, awesome setup. Good luck man!
I couldn't figure out why more people didn't just use the Cuben bag and attach to a frame. Its the abrasion! I imagine
even attachment points won't stop that.

mfolch

WKR
Next question: is it reasonably quiet? Nothing like cordura, I imagine, but does it sound like a snare drum?

I use a Seekoutside pack frame. A large drybag as my main pack bag and a Kuiu ultra 1800 as compression panel. When camp is set I use the Ultra 1800 on the frame as my daily hunt pack. Works great, everything stays dry that needs to be when hiking in in the rain.

I use a Seekoutside pack frame. A large drybag as my main pack bag and a Kuiu ultra 1800 as compression panel. When camp is set I use the Ultra 1800 on the frame as my daily hunt pack. Works great, everything stays dry that needs to be when hiking in in the rain.

I’m doing the same. KUIU Icon Pro 1850 with my hunting gear in it and food/camp in a dry bag in the load sling. Pull the dry bag out, set up camp, hang dry bag full of food from a tree. Go hunt.

OP
AK Troutbum
So I got my dry bag back from the seamstress and went ahead and CF taped the stitching so it’s waterproof again, then strapped it up to the frame. It basically straps to the frame exactly how a Stone Glacier bag would. Here’s how it looks. Hopefully everything is durable enough and it won’t come apart, but time will tell.
95f024fa64300fdff1ee9b808c99682b.jpg

0dcdfe0e495912361a2bb3583279c829.jpg

1131bbf0c1453da376a79b0523deebce.jpg

8a4114ea72163c2f1f3bb264a87f5106.jpg

639f5af826eb80b2129f1552414aabd5.jpg

37852b6c751555c149382bd3210aefe5.jpg

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
Looks sweet. Great job. That setup is exactly what I'm looking for as well.

Did you ever consider switching out the buckles for gatekeepers?

That looks like it turned out really nice! Hope you and your son have a great time!

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk