What is a good day pack?

oldhorse

WKR
Personally the tipping point for me would be made in America and Rokslide sponsor of which EXO checks both boxes. Not taking anything away from MR but it’s made in China and I don’t believe they sponsor Rokslide.

Excellent point!

Squirrels

WKR
I will also say that EXO customer service is top notch, (Kifaru's is as well). I'm not saying mystery ranch is not as I've never dealt with them. I just know from my experience the two I mentioned are great.

frankrb3

WKR
Stone glacier Sky 5900 has been an awesome day pack for me this spring.

Attachments

• 0BB20C2C-0837-40AB-8C84-D3E10D5000FD.jpg
    0BB20C2C-0837-40AB-8C84-D3E10D5000FD.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 69

codym

WKR
Is a 3500 size pack pack too big for what my plans are?

I've never wished my pack was smaller. I use my EMR II all turkey season in day pack mode and it was great. I will load it up for my elk hunts this year and be able to get 10 days worth of gear in there. I'm really impressed with the versatility of the big kifaru bags.

OP
S
I don’t see much about the dt3. What are the specs on it and how much would you want? I think I found it’s discontinued

bmart2622

WKR
It is discontinued, the entire Timberline series is. There are some good videos that Aron Snyder has done you can find on the web that highlight the features.

JD619er

WKR
Personally the tipping point for me would be made in America and Rokslide sponsor of which EXO checks both boxes. Not taking anything away from MR but it’s made in China and I don’t believe they sponsor Rokslide.

Mystery ranch hunting line is actually made in the phillipines but their shop in Bozeman still makes berry compliant military packs and hotshot packs

OP
S
I think what I am going to do is pick up a mr pintler since that is the only one that any stores around me have. That way I can try it out and return it if I don’t feel it is leaps ahead of my badlands 2200 and maybe try the exo 2000.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know this has probably been covered but I am fairly new here and have a terrible time getting around this site. But I am going on my first elk hunt in Montana and currently have a badlands 2200. I have been training with it for awhile with roughly 45lbs and it doesn’t seem to do too bad for me. But I hear so much of how great, mr, exo, kifaru, and sg are that I am thinking about trying one. The only one of those that I can actually try is the mr metcalf the scheels carries. It seems a lot nicer than what I have but also costs twice as much. Not a lot of places have those brands in the flat prairie. What I am looking for is basically a pack that can haul meat if needed but mainly be a day pack, maybe for one night on a rare occasion so I don’t want a huge pack. This may be my only elk hunt or maybe a few more at most, the other thing it would be used for is mulley hunting in the badlands a few days a year other wise it’s just white tail hunting. With the little time I would use it not sure if it is worth the upgrade or not.

Stone Glacier 1800. I really like that thing. It is a great day bag and comes with the Xcurve frame so there is a load shelf that comes with it. If you do get the 1800 with the frame then later down the road you can just buy a different SG bag. They are all interchangeable with each other. The only SG bag that doesn't come with the Xcurve frame is the avail 2200, but the Xcurve frame will attach to the bag. Every bag that Stone Glacier makes can fit on the Xcurve fram or Evo Krux frame. Or maybe the Stone Glacier 3300. That is also a great day pack. It gives you enough room for extra food or clothing depending on how the hunt is going.

mcseal2

WKR
My favorite daypack has become my Exo 3500 for the most part. I've tried lots of Eberlestocks and love the scabbard but not the lay-out of the rest of the pack as much as the Exo. I have the Exo 2000 bag and it's great too, but even day hunting I usually have a spotter and tripod. The 3500 bag has the side pockets that make me like it for speedy access to those items. The 2000 is very well designed too and if I wasn't packing the tripod I'd use it more.

The Exo moves laterally with me well enough it doesn't feel like a stiff frame. The Kifaru tactical frame and Nomad 2 bag I also have are comfortable but I definitely know I have a frame on. They both have their place for me, the Kifaru for really awkward or bulky loads and the Exo for most hunts. The Kifaru will go on my moose hunt this fall but I'd take the Exo for any mule deer hunt for example.

I'm a little biased I guess. But I am speaking from former Marine Infantry experience. I don't go anywhere without Kifaru. The whole system from the frame, to the bags, to the pockets allows me to custom all my hunts. I think most major brands will carry 45 - 60 lbs comfortably, but getting in the 80+ lb range changes things. Kifaru is my American express. You get what you pay for, and yep there's a cost up front but gottdam is it worth it! IMO

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thanks for the comments! Do you think think there is a different comfort level with any of them with just the gear for the day while hunting? Even from my badlands 2200 to the other high end packs or is it just when they have a good load?

IMO a daypack load will be comfortably carried by most if not all hunting brands. The difference, if you're only carrying daypack loads will be accessories and aesthetics. again IMO Kifaru MR and SG are the packs u want to consider if you're looking at extended hunts/ hauling meat. Keep in mind I'm no pro. But I do have the experience of being Grunt with a shitty pack and lots of weight.
Thanks for the comments! Do you think think there is a different comfort level with any of them with just the gear for the day while hunting? Even from my badlands 2200 to the other high end packs or is it just when they have a good load?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
My favorite daypack has become my Exo 3500 for the most part. I've tried lots of Eberlestocks and love the scabbard but not the lay-out of the rest of the pack as much as the Exo. I have the Exo 2000 bag and it's great too, but even day hunting I usually have a spotter and tripod. The 3500 bag has the side pockets that make me like it for speedy access to those items. The 2000 is very well designed too and if I wasn't packing the tripod I'd use it more.

The Exo moves laterally with me well enough it doesn't feel like a stiff frame. The Kifaru tactical frame and Nomad 2 bag I also have are comfortable but I definitely know I have a frame on. They both have their place for me, the Kifaru for really awkward or bulky loads and the Exo for most hunts. The Kifaru will go on my moose hunt this fall but I'd take the Exo for any mule deer hunt for example.

I can fit the Kowa 55 and slik 624 in the back stretch pocket or the tripod can go in the side pocket and be strapped down. I do have to remove my pistol grip head but I use a quick release panner to attach it to the tripod so that’s easy to do.

mcseal2

WKR
I carried my Promaster 525 in the side pocket and the Kowa in the stretch pocket also just like you do. I just found I prefer having the spotter in the side pocket instead of pushing the stretch pocket out. I found I preferred having the spotter in the top of the main bag and the stretch pocket held my bino adapter and shooting rest for the tripod. I liked having them quickly available.

I often carry 15x Swaros too I probably should have added. I also use synthetic puffys that don't pack like down. Those bulky items might be part of the reason I like the 3500's layout too.

On a side note I got a Vortex neoprene cover and it fits my Kowa really well. I like having the extra protection for it.

OP
S
So I bought the mr pintler yesterday and went on a few mile hike ( which had the same load as the bl 2200 of 45 lbs) and I think I have it all adjusted right and it doesn’t carry it much better. I have hip troubles and it didn’t seem to make it hurt as bad or as quickly. Is this strange or is it just when you start to get more weight that you really notice it? I would give a slight edge on comfort and carrying the weigh to the pintler but not as much as I was thinking. Maybe I expected too much?

dotman

WKR
I carried my Promaster 525 in the side pocket and the Kowa in the stretch pocket also just like you do. I just found I prefer having the spotter in the side pocket instead of pushing the stretch pocket out. I found I preferred having the spotter in the top of the main bag and the stretch pocket held my bino adapter and shooting rest for the tripod. I liked having them quickly available.

I often carry 15x Swaros too I probably should have added. I also use synthetic puffys that don't pack like down. Those bulky items might be part of the reason I like the 3500's layout too.

On a side note I got a Vortex neoprene cover and it fits my Kowa really well. I like having the extra protection for it.

Yeah that cover fits the Kowa really well.

dotman

WKR
So I bought the mr pintler yesterday and went on a few mile hike ( which had the same load as the bl 2200 of 45 lbs) and I think I have it all adjusted right and it doesn’t carry it much better. I have hip troubles and it didn’t seem to make it hurt as bad or as quickly. Is this strange or is it just when you start to get more weight that you really notice it? I would give a slight edge on comfort and carrying the weigh to the pintler but not as much as I was thinking. Maybe I expected too much?

MR in my experience hasn’t ever carried the weight to my hips like a Kifaru, try the EXO it has a 30 day return policy and so does Kifaru.

FYI... the EXO bags fit a Kifaru frame very well just need to change out some buckles.