What is a good day pack?

I know this has probably been covered but I am fairly new here and have a terrible time getting around this site. But I am going on my first elk hunt in Montana and currently have a badlands 2200. I have been training with it for awhile with roughly 45lbs and it doesn’t seem to do too bad for me. But I hear so much of how great, mr, exo, kifaru, and sg are that I am thinking about trying one. The only one of those that I can actually try is the mr metcalf the scheels carries. It seems a lot nicer than what I have but also costs twice as much. Not a lot of places have those brands in the flat prairie. What I am looking for is basically a pack that can haul meat if needed but mainly be a day pack, maybe for one night on a rare occasion so I don’t want a huge pack. This may be my only elk hunt or maybe a few more at most, the other thing it would be used for is mulley hunting in the badlands a few days a year other wise it’s just white tail hunting. With the little time I would use it not sure if it is worth the upgrade or not.

I picked up the KUIU Icon Pro 1850 for situations like you’re talking about. I’ve been training with it but have yet to use it for anything besides turkey hunting. I plan to carry my camp in using the load sling and a dry bag, leaving me with a day pack that is capable of hauling meat.

It was worth spending the $ on to me as the place I whitetail hunt is a 3,600 acre swamp with no trails or roads. I currently don’t hunt more than a 30 minute walk into it because of the difficulty of getting the meat out. Being able to bone out an entire deer and carry it out in one trip will expand my range significantly.

If carrying elk quarters off the mountain is what you expect to be doing all season long, the kifaru packs seem to get the nod. I expect to spend much more time hunting, and am willing to deal with a slightly slower, less comfortable final trip to the truck if I happen to bag an elk.

OP
S
I agree. And also I hunt a pretty big chunk of white tail property that has no roads within a few miles so it could also be used for that. The odds of me having to pack an elk out are probably slim, maybe one of the 4 guys with me will get one but even so I have help. I just didn’t know if those pack make 25# or so that much easier and more comfortable. If they do, maybe it is worth it as I will put some miles on with it over the years, just maybe not with 100# in it.

dotman

WKR
They do, it’s something you really have to experience for yourself to fully get.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like your describing the MR Pop Up, 18 or 28 liters- plenty of room for a long day hunt, still has the capability to haul if needed. What makes it stand out amongst other packs is that in day pack mode it's very compact as the frame folds up- very nice when traveling through denser stands of timber.

I've put mine through several (about a dozen) 4-5 mile hikes over rough/steep terrain. Started with 30 lbs of sand, worked up to 60 lbs- with water, pack and contents- close to 75 lbs. I now don't have any qualms about carrying that weight w/ the pack.

Nuke Man

WKR
Another vote for the Kuiu Icon Pro 1850. I like that it can be used with or without the frame. It's a very well laid out pack.

OP
S
The exo 2000 does look like a nice pack. Anyone else have experience with it?

NDGuy

WKR
MR Pintler, I love mine and also have a Metcalf. I think the Metcalf is too big for a daypack. Yes it can be done but the Pintler is a much better design for a daypack and it can haul meat no problem.

Lots of people like Exo and Kifaru though. One thing that steered me more towards MR was that my local Scheels carried them, if I have an issue they will take care of me vs paying for shipping through one of the direct guys.

I'd give Blackovis a call though, they own camofire so they might still have some MR packs in multicam they would sell you for cheap Pintler around $300ish I would bet, with free shipping.

lif

WKR
I just bought a stone glacier krux with a sky 5900. After just a month of hiking with it is clear to me that it will also be my day pack. It is super light when empty and you don’t even notice you have it one I’ve owned a dozen different day packs and they are all heavier than the stone glacier and not nearly as comfortable. I’ve been searching for a pack to do it all and I found it. I know there are other brands comparable to stone glacier and I don’t disagree with their quality, I’m just saying that with the quality of lightweight packs being made I believe one pack can do it all, and do it better.

oldhorse

WKR
I ran a Badlands 2200 for 8 years before I ever knew that these high end packs existed. I tried an eberlestock dragonfly for one season( too heavy!), then I discovered Kifaru. It took me a while to get over the "sticker shock", but once I did I have no regrets. If you liked the batwing design on the BL 2200, have a look at the Kifaru Nomad 2. Nice day pack with heavy load hauling capabilities

OP
S
So I think as of now, unless something new comes up I really like the looks of the mr pintler and evo 2000. They seem somewhat similar to me also. Any more input on either, good or bad?

oldhorse

WKR
Both are solid choices. Either one should do the job you have in mind. We are truly fortunate to have so many top shelf options!

dotman

WKR
Personally the tipping point for me would be made in America and Rokslide sponsor of which EXO checks both boxes. Not taking anything away from MR but it’s made in China and I don’t believe they sponsor Rokslide.