NEW Kuiu Ultra Bag Options

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those of you Kuiu users the new Ultra bags and new sizes are up on their website. The sizes are 2200, 4000, 5500 and 7200. The 2200, 4000 are laid out exactly the same, the 5500 nearly the same as those and the 7200 has two zippered full length side pockets in addition to the other pockets on the smaller bags.

Here is a link for all the technical information: New Coming Soon

I have been testing and evaluating the new Ultra 4000 for a couple of months now. The bags are more like a hybrid of the old Ultra and the Icon Pro bags. The new Ultras have external StuffIt pockets on both sides now. Internally they have the water bladder hanger, zippered port, mesh pocket for bladder, internal compression straps that can be used externally and two more internal zippered mesh pockets. These new features and pockets make the new Ultra's slightly heavier than the first version, but much lighter than the Icon Pro bags. The new Ultra bags also come in better sizes, at least from my point of view.

If you have any questions specifically about the new bags, let me know and I will try and answer them to the best of my ability.

Also, I am testing a new version of one of their products and as soon as I am given the go ahead to talk about it I will post up what it is and how it worked out.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
5a6ffd574c3b87b305838bb89740db30.jpg
884feb70051af79a788e91f09dafc350.jpg
1f5ab7f18302d733693812e17d8ee20a.jpg
16d2f12709e0a3b7606160355af7bfa6.jpg
8c89eea9360f854c8b65932c5021e12a.jpg
921f940091d0f6e69d09fdc2f5c54016.jpg

Quick question - been eyeing that new 2200, and I'm curious if the Kuiu packs can be used without the frame?

If I'm on a hunt that I don't have to worry about packing meat, or want to use it as a carry-on or something, can I take the frame off and attach the suspension directly to the bag?

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick question - been eyeing that new 2200, and I'm curious if the Kuiu packs can be used without the frame?

If I'm on a hunt that I don't have to worry about packing meat, or want to use it as a carry-on or something, can I take the frame off and attach the suspension directly to the bag?

I don’t believe the new Ultra 2200 will do that. The new Venture 1800 has the suspension only or the Icon Pro 1800 has the frame or no frame option.

I emailed Kuiu earlier today and asked that same question for confirmation, and you are correct, the 2200 requires a frame. The only pack in their lineup that does not require a frame is the Icon Pro 1850...which leads me to my next question. Having never seen these packs in person before, what is different about the way the 2200 connects and the 1850 connects?

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 1850 bag has the Velcro to accept the shoulder harness and the new ultra 2200 does not. The 1850 cam also be run with a small aluminum frame that comes with it also.

Nuke Man

WKR
I have the 1850 icon pro I just picked up earlier this year. It's a perfect day/carry on sized pack. I think it is going to work great for all my Illinois hunts. The appeal to me for the new Venture 1800 is the permanent shoulder straps. I would like to see a Venture 2200 in the future too!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suspect the Venture series will only ever be offered in a small bag size. I could see it getting to 2000, but probably not much bigger.

Doug in your top picture it looks like a double bottom accessory loop at the bottom of the bag. What is the purpose of that and the 4000 still has the bottom compression's with the hook and cinch right?

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doug in your top picture it looks like a double bottom accessory loop at the bottom of the bag. What is the purpose of that and the 4000 still has the bottom compression's with the hook and cinch right?

The 4000 still has the conch on the bottom if you had the need to strap something along the outside bottom arrow or just to use it as support for a heavy load. The loops also support theory accessories like the gun bearer, bow holder, etc.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
The new 7000 looks awesome with the much lower weight than the 7200 but it looks like it’s not a panel opening pack like the 7200 is, is that right?

Seems a strange decision to not go with the panel design...

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new 7000 looks awesome with the much lower weight than the 7200 but it looks like it’s not a panel opening pack like the 7200 is, is that right?

Seems a strange decision to not go with the panel design...

That is correct, not a panel loader. Top and full side access to the main bag. The side access also is where the internal mesh pockets are accessed and their zippers have been moved to be vertical for easy access.

I understand the panel loaders, but for me I don’t prefer them. When I would run optics in the big front pockets on the panel itself I had to be very careful when opening the panel to not let the panel just flip around. There was only pack material protecting my optics and the panel became awkward when packed that way. The new style I don’t have to worry about the panel that way.

The panel loaders are usually heavier also as the zippers and seams are three times in length as what the side access is.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really like the looks of the 4000. Any idea if their pack accessory pouch attaches well to the top to be used as a lid?

I haven’t looked to see, but I have one and I will look to see if it will attach easily. For me, the 4000 is nearly perfect for multi day scouting trips, so I wasn’t thinking of adding more stuff. I will look though and see.

I haven’t looked to see, but I have one and I will look to see if it will attach easily. For me, the 4000 is nearly perfect for multi day scouting trips, so I wasn’t thinking of adding more stuff. I will look though and see.

Thanks. I tend towards the minimalist/ultralight side of things so I was thinking it would work well for 7-10 day trips where extra clothing is required. Adding a lid for food that could easily be bear proofed would be great.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I tend towards the minimalist/ultralight side of things so I was thinking it would work well for 7-10 day trips where extra clothing is required. Adding a lid for food that could easily be bear proofed would be great.

A dry bag in the meat shelf works great too.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just looked and there are common loops on the 4000 that accept the accessory bag perfectly.